PDA

View Full Version : Painted Rock Dam

Bob La Londe
October 30th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Anybody here ever fish the lower lake at Painted Rock Dam? I used to when I
was a kid.

It had been several years since I was there, so I decided to take a look at
it on my way home from Phoenix the other day.

It was a dust bowl. The road down to the campground and launch / picnic
area was barricaded, and all Icould see from the road in the main body of
the lake was dry blowing sand.

I'm glad for the people of Phoenix that they won't have as high a risk of
draught due to the newer height of all the dams in the Phoenix area on the
river system, but I am sad to see a wonderful lake from my childhood gone.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

David H. Lipman
October 30th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Thank Las Vegas !

They are WASTING water in your area.

Dave

"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
| Anybody here ever fish the lower lake at Painted Rock Dam? I used to when I
| was a kid.
|
| It had been several years since I was there, so I decided to take a look at
| it on my way home from Phoenix the other day.
|
| It was a dust bowl. The road down to the campground and launch / picnic
| area was barricaded, and all Icould see from the road in the main body of
| the lake was dry blowing sand.
|
| I'm glad for the people of Phoenix that they won't have as high a risk of
| draught due to the newer height of all the dams in the Phoenix area on the
| river system, but I am sad to see a wonderful lake from my childhood gone.
|

| --
| Bob La Londe
| Yuma, Az
| http://www.YumaBassMan.com
| Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
| Simply add it to our index page.
| No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

Bob La Londe
October 31st, 2003, 02:35 AM
"David H. Lipman" > wrote in message
> Thank Las Vegas !
>
> They are WASTING water in your area.
>
> Dave

Painted Rock is on the Gila west of Gila Bend. The Gila feeds from New
Mexico all the way across Arizona to the Colorado River near Yuma. The
Salt, Verde, Agua Fria, and Hassayampa all feed into the Gila near Phoenix.

Las Vegas uses Colorado River Water from a different water shed area
entirely.