PDA

View Full Version : Spinnerbait Help

Dickie Greenleaf
October 10th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Hello all...

I typically throw soft plastics and have been fairly successful catching
quite a few bass this year in the 3 to 5 lb. range. Recently, I've had some
very limited success with spinnerbaits, and am looking to increase my
confidence in this lure type for largemouth bass.

I have lurked in this group for the past few years and have read a number of
posts proclaiming the Secret Weapon spinnerbait system and am ready to take
the plunge. The fact I will be supporting a small company with roots in this
group makes it an obvious slam dunk.

I mainly shore fish, but sometimes wander out on my 10 foot inflatable with
30lb. trolling motor. The lakes and ponds I frequent in southeast Michigan,
are typically smallish and some are of the backwoods variety. They are
typically gin clear.

Now to the point... Since I am completely baffled by the numerous varieties,
I am looking for recommendations on color and blade variety that would be
most likely to succeed based on my location and fishing tactics.

Any and all tips, suggestions, and hlep will be *greatly* appreciated.

Great group by the way. Thanks!

--
DG

Charles B. Summers
October 10th, 2003, 05:43 AM
As with any lake, and most importantly with gin clear lakes, you want
something that looks natural. From the Secret Weapon line-up, I'd go with
the Wounded Shad, White Shad, Baby Bass, Grass Craw, Green Goddess and/or
Rock Craw. Blade choices would be mostly willowleaf, and maybe indiana.
Sizes would be 1/4oz to 3/8oz.

If course, and I'll probably get in trouble for saying this but... the rule
(guideline actually) goes for any manufacturers baits, and not just Secret
Weapons. What colors are you using in your plastics? If you've been
successful with those colors, you'd probably be ok using those colors on
other type of baits.

A few other members here are in Michigan too, and you're not that far from
Wisconsin! You know that there's a group tournament every September? Since
you're now a posting member... you are invited to join!
--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com

"Dickie Greenleaf" > wrote in message
> Hello all...
>
> I typically throw soft plastics and have been fairly successful catching
> quite a few bass this year in the 3 to 5 lb. range. Recently, I've had
some
> very limited success with spinnerbaits, and am looking to increase my
> confidence in this lure type for largemouth bass.
>
> I have lurked in this group for the past few years and have read a number
of
> posts proclaiming the Secret Weapon spinnerbait system and am ready to
take
> the plunge. The fact I will be supporting a small company with roots in
this
> group makes it an obvious slam dunk.
>
> I mainly shore fish, but sometimes wander out on my 10 foot inflatable
with
> 30lb. trolling motor. The lakes and ponds I frequent in southeast
Michigan,
> are typically smallish and some are of the backwoods variety. They are
> typically gin clear.
>
> Now to the point... Since I am completely baffled by the numerous
varieties,
> I am looking for recommendations on color and blade variety that would be
> most likely to succeed based on my location and fishing tactics.
>
> Any and all tips, suggestions, and hlep will be *greatly* appreciated.
>
> Great group by the way. Thanks!
>
> --
> DG

Richard Liebert
October 10th, 2003, 10:48 AM
I have found that the Colorado blades tend to thump more hopefully
attracting fish from further away, but I am not sure you need extra "thump"
if the water is clear. If you fish at night I recommend Colorado blades for
this reason. I use black skirts and brass colored spinnerbaits in dark water
or at night. They work very well. In fact I am off right now to fish the
local waters until first light with that exact set up.

Last major success I had was with the secret weapon Wounded Shad in clear
water up here in Pa.

Spinner baits are extremely versatile. Jimmy Houston swears by them.

Jimmy who?

Stick with it and good luck..

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in
message ...
> As with any lake, and most importantly with gin clear lakes, you want
> something that looks natural. From the Secret Weapon line-up, I'd go with
> the Wounded Shad, White Shad, Baby Bass, Grass Craw, Green Goddess and/or
> Rock Craw. Blade choices would be mostly willowleaf, and maybe indiana.
> Sizes would be 1/4oz to 3/8oz.
>
> If course, and I'll probably get in trouble for saying this but... the
rule
> (guideline actually) goes for any manufacturers baits, and not just Secret
> Weapons. What colors are you using in your plastics? If you've been
> successful with those colors, you'd probably be ok using those colors on
> other type of baits.
>
> A few other members here are in Michigan too, and you're not that far from
> Wisconsin! You know that there's a group tournament every September? Since
> you're now a posting member... you are invited to join!
> --
> Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org
>
> "Dickie Greenleaf" > wrote in message
> > Hello all...
> >
> > I typically throw soft plastics and have been fairly successful catching
> > quite a few bass this year in the 3 to 5 lb. range. Recently, I've had
> some
> > very limited success with spinnerbaits, and am looking to increase my
> > confidence in this lure type for largemouth bass.
> >
> > I have lurked in this group for the past few years and have read a
number
> of
> > posts proclaiming the Secret Weapon spinnerbait system and am ready to
> take
> > the plunge. The fact I will be supporting a small company with roots in
> this
> > group makes it an obvious slam dunk.
> >
> > I mainly shore fish, but sometimes wander out on my 10 foot inflatable
> with
> > 30lb. trolling motor. The lakes and ponds I frequent in southeast
> Michigan,
> > are typically smallish and some are of the backwoods variety. They are
> > typically gin clear.
> >
> > Now to the point... Since I am completely baffled by the numerous
> varieties,
> > I am looking for recommendations on color and blade variety that would
be
> > most likely to succeed based on my location and fishing tactics.
> >
> > Any and all tips, suggestions, and hlep will be *greatly* appreciated.
> >
> > Great group by the way. Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > DG

AJH
October 10th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Take a look at S.O.B spinnerbaits www.soblures.com.. he makes very nice
spinnerbaits at a REASONABLE price..his website has some very good
info..

I fish therefore I lie

Bob Rickard
October 10th, 2003, 06:33 PM
With Secret Weapon spinnerbaits being the subject of prior messages in this
thread, Mr. AJH speaks of a different (probably very reputable) manufacturer
that "makes very nice spinnerbaits at a REASONABLE price."

Maybe I should be keeping my mouth shut, but since you are one of the major
****-disturbers on this group, I won't. I REALLY resent your glaring
inference that our lures are NOT reasonably priced, Mr. AJH. I don't give a
rat's @ss whether you like our lures or not, they ARE an excellent value.
First of all, they cost more to make than any other spinnerbait on the
market. Now, do the math, Mr. AJH: NOBODY uses higher quality, more durable
components. NOBODY makes spinnerbaits that last longer. NOBODY makes
spinnerbaits that catch more fish. The blades are totally interchangeable,
meaning that owning as few as three or four lures effectively takes the
price per spinnerbait LOWER than those of any other reputable spinnerbait on
the market. Does that really make our price "UNREASONABLE", Mr. AJH? Of
course not!

Why take thoughtless potshots at Secret Weapon Lures, Mr. AJH? Did you ever
actually own any Secret Weapons and found them lacking? Is your life so
empty that you have nothing else to fill your time? Get a Life, Mr. AJH!

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"AJH" > wrote in message
> Take a look at S.O.B spinnerbaits www.soblures.com.. he makes very nice
> spinnerbaits at a REASONABLE price..his website has some very good
> info..
>

> I fish therefore I lie

Charles B. Summers
October 10th, 2003, 06:54 PM
In a clear lake, you really don't need the thump, thump, thump of a Colorado
blade, but rather the reflectivness of a willow type blade. But, for those
of us that like both, the Oklahoma (turtleback) blades provide both and not
available on many different spinnerbaits *yet*. In JPP, I think those blade
produce better for me because there isn't many people throwing those blades,
and the fish aren't immune to them yet. But that's just my thought. Still,
Indiana would be as much thump as I'd want in a gin clear lake. JMHO.

"Richard Liebert" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > > the plunge. The fact I will be supporting a small company with roots
in
> > this
> > > group makes it an obvious slam dunk.
> > >
> > > I mainly shore fish, but sometimes wander out on my 10 foot inflatable
> > with
> > > 30lb. trolling motor. The lakes and ponds I frequent in southeast
> > Michigan,
> > > are typically smallish and some are of the backwoods variety. They are
> > > typically gin clear.
> > >
> > > Now to the point... Since I am completely baffled by the numerous
> > varieties,
> > > I am looking for recommendations on color and blade variety that would
> be
> > > most likely to succeed based on my location and fishing tactics.
> > >
> > > Any and all tips, suggestions, and hlep will be *greatly* appreciated.

Chris Jones
October 10th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Bob,
Some people may have personal agendas. I have tried neither the "Secret
Weapon" or the "SOB" spinnerbaits in question. I can say that all, repeat
all, feedback that I have seen concerning both baits have been 100%
positive. You sir, will receive an order from me in the near future. I
like quality and I like value. I am a firm believer that value is more then
just the price tag. Looking forward to give the SW a spin soon.

Chris
"Bob Rickard" > wrote in message
. ..
> With Secret Weapon spinnerbaits being the subject of prior messages in
this
> thread, Mr. AJH speaks of a different (probably very reputable)
manufacturer
> that "makes very nice spinnerbaits at a REASONABLE price."
>
> Maybe I should be keeping my mouth shut, but since you are one of the
major
> ****-disturbers on this group, I won't. I REALLY resent your glaring
> inference that our lures are NOT reasonably priced, Mr. AJH. I don't give
> rat's @ss whether you like our lures or not, they ARE an excellent value.
> First of all, they cost more to make than any other spinnerbait on the
> market. Now, do the math, Mr. AJH: NOBODY uses higher quality, more
durable
> components. NOBODY makes spinnerbaits that last longer. NOBODY makes
> spinnerbaits that catch more fish. The blades are totally interchangeable,
> meaning that owning as few as three or four lures effectively takes the
> price per spinnerbait LOWER than those of any other reputable spinnerbait
on
> the market. Does that really make our price "UNREASONABLE", Mr. AJH? Of
> course not!
>
> Why take thoughtless potshots at Secret Weapon Lures, Mr. AJH? Did you
ever
> actually own any Secret Weapons and found them lacking? Is your life so
> empty that you have nothing else to fill your time? Get a Life, Mr. AJH!
>
> --
> Bob Rickard
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> --------------------------<=x O')))><
>

> "AJH" > wrote in message
> > Take a look at S.O.B spinnerbaits www.soblures.com.. he makes very nice
> > spinnerbaits at a REASONABLE price..his website has some very good
> > info..
> >

> > I fish therefore I lie

Charles B. Summers
October 10th, 2003, 07:24 PM
While most people will tell you that you can successfully use a spinnerbait
in Spring, Summer, and Fall... My best fish on Spinnerbaits have been in the
Spring and Fall. This is the time of year for me when I set the plastics
aside for awhile and start throwing spinnerbaits. The other night, TNBass
and I picked up 5 of our 6 bass, including one of JPP's elusive smallmouth
bass on spinnerbaits.

"Chris Jones" > wrote in message
> Bob,
> Some people may have personal agendas. I have tried neither the "Secret
> Weapon" or the "SOB" spinnerbaits in question. I can say that all, repeat
> all, feedback that I have seen concerning both baits have been 100%
> positive. You sir, will receive an order from me in the near future. I
> like quality and I like value. I am a firm believer that value is more
then
> just the price tag. Looking forward to give the SW a spin soon.
>
> Chris
> "Bob Rickard" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > With Secret Weapon spinnerbaits being the subject of prior messages in
> this
> > thread, Mr. AJH speaks of a different (probably very reputable)
> manufacturer
> > that "makes very nice spinnerbaits at a REASONABLE price."
> >
> > Maybe I should be keeping my mouth shut, but since you are one of the
> major
> > ****-disturbers on this group, I won't. I REALLY resent your glaring
> > inference that our lures are NOT reasonably priced, Mr. AJH. I don't
give
> > rat's @ss whether you like our lures or not, they ARE an excellent
value.
> > First of all, they cost more to make than any other spinnerbait on the
> > market. Now, do the math, Mr. AJH: NOBODY uses higher quality, more
> durable
> > components. NOBODY makes spinnerbaits that last longer. NOBODY makes
> > spinnerbaits that catch more fish. The blades are totally
interchangeable,
> > meaning that owning as few as three or four lures effectively takes the
> > price per spinnerbait LOWER than those of any other reputable
spinnerbait
> on
> > the market. Does that really make our price "UNREASONABLE", Mr. AJH? Of
> > course not!
> >
> > Why take thoughtless potshots at Secret Weapon Lures, Mr. AJH? Did you
> ever
> > actually own any Secret Weapons and found them lacking? Is your life so
> > empty that you have nothing else to fill your time? Get a Life, Mr. AJH!
> >
> > --
> > Bob Rickard
> > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > --------------------------<=x O')))><
> >

> > "AJH" > wrote in message
> > > Take a look at S.O.B spinnerbaits www.soblures.com.. he makes very
nice
> > > spinnerbaits at a REASONABLE price..his website has some very good
> > > info..
> > >

> > > I fish therefore I lie

Dark Knight
October 10th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Well done to both of you - to Bob for an excellent (if spirited) defence of
his product, and Chris for being diplomatic enough to offend neither party
with his statements. Congrats gentlemen.

In my professional opinion, I think that the Secret Weapon lures ARE one of
the best "values" in their product segment out there. Even though I've
never commented publicly before (just in private to some respected
individuals from this group that I know), I have been presenting the samples
that I received at ICAST from Joe to a number of Dealers and Distributors
that I work with for feedback, and I have had the samples fished by pro
guides in my employ. The response has generally been quite good, with the
only concerns being that A) the knock-off by a large catalogue company, and
B) the lack of a large scale advertising campaign. This is important
because NO ONE is disputing the product's credentials or quality. It's
simply a question of effort involved to drive the marketplace.

FTR Promoting your product is fine AJH, and it appears that you have a good
product to promote. No one will dissuade you from doing that in a polite,
non-spam fashion on ROFB. The problem is that you were not polite. If
"reasonable" were in lower case, I don't think that anyone would have
baulked at your suggestion to consider a different type of safety-pin
spinner.

DK

"Chris Jones" > wrote in message
> Bob,
> Some people may have personal agendas. I have tried neither the "Secret
> Weapon" or the "SOB" spinnerbaits in question. I can say that all, repeat
> all, feedback that I have seen concerning both baits have been 100%
> positive. You sir, will receive an order from me in the near future. I
> like quality and I like value. I am a firm believer that value is more
then
> just the price tag. Looking forward to give the SW a spin soon.
>
> Chris
> "Bob Rickard" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > With Secret Weapon spinnerbaits being the subject of prior messages in
> this
> > thread, Mr. AJH speaks of a different (probably very reputable)
> manufacturer
> > that "makes very nice spinnerbaits at a REASONABLE price."
> >
> > Maybe I should be keeping my mouth shut, but since you are one of the
> major
> > ****-disturbers on this group, I won't. I REALLY resent your glaring
> > inference that our lures are NOT reasonably priced, Mr. AJH. I don't
give
> > rat's @ss whether you like our lures or not, they ARE an excellent
value.
> > First of all, they cost more to make than any other spinnerbait on the
> > market. Now, do the math, Mr. AJH: NOBODY uses higher quality, more
> durable
> > components. NOBODY makes spinnerbaits that last longer. NOBODY makes
> > spinnerbaits that catch more fish. The blades are totally
interchangeable,
> > meaning that owning as few as three or four lures effectively takes the
> > price per spinnerbait LOWER than those of any other reputable
spinnerbait
> on
> > the market. Does that really make our price "UNREASONABLE", Mr. AJH? Of
> > course not!
> >
> > Why take thoughtless potshots at Secret Weapon Lures, Mr. AJH? Did you
> ever
> > actually own any Secret Weapons and found them lacking? Is your life so
> > empty that you have nothing else to fill your time? Get a Life, Mr. AJH!
> >
> > --
> > Bob Rickard
> > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > --------------------------<=x O')))><
> >

> > "AJH" > wrote in message
> > > Take a look at S.O.B spinnerbaits www.soblures.com.. he makes very
nice
> > > spinnerbaits at a REASONABLE price..his website has some very good
> > > info..
> > >

> > > I fish therefore I lie

AJH
October 10th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Capt, you going to have a heart attack if you don't calm down..IMO your
spinnerbaits are over priced,I am allowed to have a opinion aren't I..
I don't own a SW but I have seen one up close and I wasn't all that
impressed...You have a bunch of good old boys here that swear buy SW
spinnerbaits, I hope you are big enough to accept another point of
view..
How do you know that NO BUDDY makes a spinnerbait the costs more,is
better quality , catches more fish and lasts longer? Have you seen and
tried them all?
Maybe we should re-name this NG, the SW news group and we should all
praise your wonderful invention..
At least your getting some free
advertizement out of this..

I fish therefore I lie

AJH
October 10th, 2003, 09:02 PM
DK, sir I have nothing to promote, I have use many brands of
spinnerbaits over the years and even made a few . I own (I paid for
then) about 10 S.O.B spinnerbaits.I don't know if they are the best, I
use them because they have a twisted eye tie, which I prefer.. They are
good quality and priced reasonably..Maybe I was not polite by using all
caps, certainly if I knew Mr. Rickard was going to react like he did, I
would have not used them..Mr. Rickard please accept my apology..

I fish therefore I lie

Dark Knight
October 10th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Fair enough AJH.

If you have nothing to promote, then you've done a good job of giving that
much sought after - but ever elusive - word-of-mouth advertising. Well
Done.

BTW I happen to like a twisted eye tie as well.

DK

"AJH" > wrote in message
> DK, sir I have nothing to promote, I have use many brands of
> spinnerbaits over the years and even made a few . I own (I paid for
> then) about 10 S.O.B spinnerbaits.I don't know if they are the best, I
> use them because they have a twisted eye tie, which I prefer.. They are
> good quality and priced reasonably..Maybe I was not polite by using all
> caps, certainly if I knew Mr. Rickard was going to react like he did, I
> would have not used them..Mr. Rickard please accept my apology..
>

> I fish therefore I lie

Craig
October 10th, 2003, 10:46 PM
DG,

Being from Southeastern Michigan and fishing most of the same waters, let me
give you some assistance. Charles color selection was good, (Wounded Shad,
White Shad, Baby Bass, Grass Craw, Green Goddess and Rock Craw). Although
his lure weight was off. 1/2 & 3/4-ounce spinnerbaits are much better for
you here in Michigan. Especially with its gin clear water. Why? Because
with tandem willowleaf, or Indiana (which I prefer) there is enough
resistance that they will stay on top with a steady retrieve (6.3:1 gear
ratio baitcaster and using a 6'6" or 7' rod). But with the added weight you
can slow roll them in 15+ feet quite easily. Remember, the best depth to
run a spinnerbait is the depth where you can barely see the blades and
skirt, and where the lure is just ticking the top of structure and cover.

Now with SW lures, their blades are a little smaller than most manufacturers
(at least they were in the past). So if you like running a #6 blade, than
order a #7. Here in Michigan running a gold & chrome tandem combo seems to
be best for general purpose. Indiana blades also work better, because
everybody is throwing willowleaf, so it give the bass a little different
look and sound. Order a few extra blades just to deal with all the
different conditions. Get some #3, #4, #5, #6, and #7 in Chrome, Gold,
White, Chartreuse. In the late summer & early fall you can add four or five
#3 blades together to create a school effect that is killer.

I also modify Bob's SW by shorting the blade arm, which make them vibrate
more and wiggle side to side. I do a few other things too, that makes them
even more different than what's out there, and that help to produce more
fish. Email me, and I will share them with you.

--
Craig Baugher

alwaysfishking
October 10th, 2003, 10:47 PM
This response was just not needed. IMO.

I haven't tried them all, but I have tried quite a few, I do not use SW's
exclusively but I do use them with quite a bit of confidence, They are much
more durable then many if not most of the spinnerbaits I have used. They are
a great buy for the money. They do something that many other spinner baits
don't... they catch fish consitantly. The people involved in Sw are also top
notch... IMO. One question AJH,,,why the attack?

Randy-

"AJH" > wrote in message
> Capt, you going to have a heart attack if you don't calm down..IMO your
> spinnerbaits are over priced,I am allowed to have a opinion aren't I..
> I don't own a SW but I have seen one up close and I wasn't all that
> impressed...You have a bunch of good old boys here that swear buy SW
> spinnerbaits, I hope you are big enough to accept another point of
> view..
> How do you know that NO BUDDY makes a spinnerbait the costs more,is
> better quality , catches more fish and lasts longer? Have you seen and
> tried them all?
> Maybe we should re-name this NG, the SW news group and we should all
> praise your wonderful invention..
> At least your getting some free
> advertizement out of this..
>

> I fish therefore I lie

AJH
October 10th, 2003, 11:32 PM
What attack? I gave my opinion and responded. and later apologized to Mr
Rickard...Looks like a mutual admiration society around here at times..

I fish therefore I lie

RichZ
October 10th, 2003, 11:53 PM
I find myself between a rock & a hard place on this issue.

I consider both Bob Rickard (Secret Weapon) and Bill Dees (SOB) to be
friends. I use both products, as well as several other spinnerbaits. My
son's absolute favorite spinnerbait (basically the only one he uses) is an
SOB. One of may favorite spinnerbaits is an early model SW that is on it's
4th skirt.

I have gotten both products in question editorial placement in In-Fisherman
magazine. Both lines are exceptionally well made products and both would be
considered a good value by any angler who appreciates quality. But as long
as there are mexican made strike king lowballs out there retailing for less
than 3 bucks at Al's favorite tackle outlet, and garage operations selling
spinnerbaits for less than the cost of quality components, there are those
who will consider them both to be overpriced.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

John Kerr
October 11th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Testimonials are a good thing, as long as they are an honest statement
of a personal experience with a product...and that is what they are, a
"personal" expeience! Many years ago, I tried a plastic worm called an
"Otay Special", I tore the bass a new one with it (a personal
experience), I don't know if the lure manufacturer got rich off of
it...but he should have with all the "testimonials" I did <g>!
This thread is about spinner baits...what to use, how to use it, the
"what" to use was discussed with some "enthusiasim", whether there was a
vested interest "coloring" some of that discussion is not important to
me....I can make my own judgements....it's the informatiom we share that
is the important issue...and after hearing that information, In my
opinion, two very good products were offered for consideration, and
thats "free enterprise" <grin>! Now just tell me how to improve my
technique with those "damn" spinner baits...they always have been my
weak suit:)!
JK

Bob Rickard
October 11th, 2003, 12:41 AM
Thanks, AJ. Apology accepted and subject closed. BTW, my reaction was a
little overdone, and I apologise for that.

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"AJH" > wrote in message
> DK, sir I have nothing to promote, I have use many brands of
> spinnerbaits over the years and even made a few . I own (I paid for
> then) about 10 S.O.B spinnerbaits.I don't know if they are the best, I
> use them because they have a twisted eye tie, which I prefer.. They are
> good quality and priced reasonably..Maybe I was not polite by using all
> caps, certainly if I knew Mr. Rickard was going to react like he did, I
> would have not used them..Mr. Rickard please accept my apology..
>

> I fish therefore I lie

RGarri7470
October 11th, 2003, 01:22 AM
>While most people will tell you that you can successfully use a spinnerbait
>in Spring, Summer, and Fall...

Guess I should not have caught that 8.25 pound bass in a January club
tournament on a spinnerbait a few years ago. It hit a single Colorado blade 1/2
ounce spinnerbait crawled across a big flat point. That often works in water
down to 40 degrees here.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Shawn
October 11th, 2003, 01:36 AM
Greetings, Dickie.

What an entertaining thread you've started here! <g> Not only have you dug
up some great advice, you've reaffirmed Bob's ticker can still pump on
overtime!

Color - go subtle in those little clear lakes. I'll echo Charles'
outstanding advise on Wounded Shad, Baby Bass and Green Goddess. I'd only
add my personal favorites of Silver Shad and Golden Shiner.

Size - Charles' advise to go smaller is again, words right outta my mouth. I
prefer a smaller profile on water such as you describe, and I've caught some
pretty decent fish on the 1/8 size, but I think the1/4 oz. unit is the most
versatile. It has a quieter entry when targeting shallow water bass, and
you can add weight to the hook shank when you want to go deeper.

Blades - here's the real advantage to SWL. I'm no mathemetician (I can't
even spell mathemetician!) but I'll gander a guess that I can create a
kazillion combinations with 5 heads and the 60 or so blades I own.
Tip/Trick - take your typical tandem blade combination and lose the larger,
trailing blade. You can burn that baby under the surface without roll-over
and, it'll also maintain depth (because of less lift) when you want it to
run 6-10' under.

Suggestion to SWL - Starter Pack. Pick three universal color combinations
and give each one a different blade configuration. Make it available in 1/4,
3/8 and 1/2 oz packs. Do the math on blade combinations, break it down to
cost per configuration, and publish it.

--
Early to Bed, Early to Rise,
Fish all Day, Make up Lies.

Shawn

"Dickie Greenleaf" > wrote in message
> Hello all...
>
> I typically throw soft plastics and have been fairly successful catching
> quite a few bass this year in the 3 to 5 lb. range. Recently, I've had
some
> very limited success with spinnerbaits, and am looking to increase my
> confidence in this lure type for largemouth bass.
>
> I have lurked in this group for the past few years and have read a number
of
> posts proclaiming the Secret Weapon spinnerbait system and am ready to
take
> the plunge. The fact I will be supporting a small company with roots in
this
> group makes it an obvious slam dunk.
>
> I mainly shore fish, but sometimes wander out on my 10 foot inflatable
with
> 30lb. trolling motor. The lakes and ponds I frequent in southeast
Michigan,
> are typically smallish and some are of the backwoods variety. They are
> typically gin clear.
>
> Now to the point... Since I am completely baffled by the numerous
varieties,
> I am looking for recommendations on color and blade variety that would be
> most likely to succeed based on my location and fishing tactics.
>
> Any and all tips, suggestions, and hlep will be *greatly* appreciated.
>
> Great group by the way. Thanks!
>
> --
> DG

Dickie Greenleaf
October 11th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Wow, everyone, thanks for all the advice.

Becoming an efficient spinnerbait fisherman is a goal of mine, as I've
seemed to fall into a rut with soft plastics; especially the Senko. Don't
get me wrong, I LOVE this lure, but some times I feel "lost" when I'm not
getting bites on soft plastics. That's why I'm dedicating the remainder of
this season to the spinnerbait. I need to gain confidence, that's the bottom
line.

It's funny, I can throw a Black with Blue fleck 5" Senko all evening and
only get a few bites, but I will NEVER lose confidence in this lure. That's
where I want to be with the spinnerbait. Then, maybe from there, I'll move
on to the crankbait, which falls dead last in my tackle box.

I'm going to take Charles' advice on color selection, while heeding Craig's
advice on size since he nailed my setup perfectly; Shimano Curado on a BPS
6'6" Medium Heavy Extreme XPS rod.

Once again, thanks!

______
Dickie

"Dickie Greenleaf" > wrote in message
> Hello all...
>
> I typically throw soft plastics and have been fairly successful catching
> quite a few bass this year in the 3 to 5 lb. range. Recently, I've had
some
> very limited success with spinnerbaits, and am looking to increase my
> confidence in this lure type for largemouth bass.
>
> I have lurked in this group for the past few years and have read a number
of
> posts proclaiming the Secret Weapon spinnerbait system and am ready to
take
> the plunge. The fact I will be supporting a small company with roots in
this
> group makes it an obvious slam dunk.
>
> I mainly shore fish, but sometimes wander out on my 10 foot inflatable
with
> 30lb. trolling motor. The lakes and ponds I frequent in southeast
Michigan,
> are typically smallish and some are of the backwoods variety. They are
> typically gin clear.
>
> Now to the point... Since I am completely baffled by the numerous
varieties,
> I am looking for recommendations on color and blade variety that would be
> most likely to succeed based on my location and fishing tactics.
>
> Any and all tips, suggestions, and hlep will be *greatly* appreciated.
>
> Great group by the way. Thanks!
>
> --
> DG

Dave Norton
October 11th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Dickie, I read most of this thread with great amusement,

Here is one more piece of advice for the rest of the season. Carry only two
rods with you, have the 1st rigged
with a spinnerbait. Rig the 2nd with a spinnerbait. At's right , carry no
other lures. Fish at least 4hrs. each time.

I promise you will learn to fish these versatile lures .

P.S. SWL is my preferred spinnerbait . Between them and a Senko or Fin-S
it's all I fish in th fall .

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods
"Dickie Greenleaf" > wrote in message
> Wow, everyone, thanks for all the advice.
>
> Becoming an efficient spinnerbait fisherman is a goal of mine, as I've
> seemed to fall into a rut with soft plastics; especially the Senko. Don't
> get me wrong, I LOVE this lure, but some times I feel "lost" when I'm not
> getting bites on soft plastics. That's why I'm dedicating the remainder of
> this season to the spinnerbait. I need to gain confidence, that's the
bottom
> line.
>
> It's funny, I can throw a Black with Blue fleck 5" Senko all evening and
> only get a few bites, but I will NEVER lose confidence in this lure.
That's
> where I want to be with the spinnerbait. Then, maybe from there, I'll move
> on to the crankbait, which falls dead last in my tackle box.
>
> I'm going to take Charles' advice on color selection, while heeding
Craig's
> advice on size since he nailed my setup perfectly; Shimano Curado on a BPS
> 6'6" Medium Heavy Extreme XPS rod.
>
> Once again, thanks!
>
> ______
> Dickie
>

> "Dickie Greenleaf" > wrote in message
> > Hello all...
> >
> > I typically throw soft plastics and have been fairly successful catching
> > quite a few bass this year in the 3 to 5 lb. range. Recently, I've had
> some
> > very limited success with spinnerbaits, and am looking to increase my
> > confidence in this lure type for largemouth bass.
> >
> > I have lurked in this group for the past few years and have read a
number
> of
> > posts proclaiming the Secret Weapon spinnerbait system and am ready to
> take
> > the plunge. The fact I will be supporting a small company with roots in
> this
> > group makes it an obvious slam dunk.
> >
> > I mainly shore fish, but sometimes wander out on my 10 foot inflatable
> with
> > 30lb. trolling motor. The lakes and ponds I frequent in southeast
> Michigan,
> > are typically smallish and some are of the backwoods variety. They are
> > typically gin clear.
> >
> > Now to the point... Since I am completely baffled by the numerous
> varieties,
> > I am looking for recommendations on color and blade variety that would
be
> > most likely to succeed based on my location and fishing tactics.
> >
> > Any and all tips, suggestions, and hlep will be *greatly* appreciated.
> >
> > Great group by the way. Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > DG

Charles B. Summers
October 15th, 2003, 05:07 AM
People here laughed at me throwing my GG spinnerbait in February.... that
was until I took a nice 4.11 LM out of Priest.

--
"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> >While most people will tell you that you can successfully use a
spinnerbait
> >in Spring, Summer, and Fall...
>
> Guess I should not have caught that 8.25 pound bass in a January club
> tournament on a spinnerbait a few years ago. It hit a single Colorado
blade 1/2
> ounce spinnerbait crawled across a big flat point. That often works in
water
> down to 40 degrees here.
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Suthern Transplant
October 25th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Took me awhile to read all the "interesting" stuff about spinnerbaits...lol
One thing's for sure...judging by the thread, we love or spinnerbaits!

These baits have been my confidence bait for many years. Before all the
glamour and marketing...
I was mentored by a man now in his 70's who could catch fish in his bathtub.
"grin" (He almost always caught 3 fish to my one...sigh) He made his own and
called them flappers.

I found out some interesting tips over the years to help tackle all the
selection and method issues you face...
(I like prospecting with this lure)
It can be a reaction bait...rub structure with 'em...
Keep the lure in sight, if not slow rolling.
Vary the speed of retrieve...subtle changes produce...
White and Chartreuse skirts or combination of the two almost always work in
daylight situations...
Blade combinations are a huge factor...
Overall size of the bait is sometimes key to a strike...
Red on the head is very important...
Blade colors are huge too. (Combining colors can be extremely important)

I personally have not found a bait I prefer over others, but I know what to
look for when I buy them. (I saved both lure sites to mull over a purchase
or two...)

Suthern Transplant
"I wish I was in Dixie"

"Dickie Greenleaf" > wrote in message
> Hello all...
>
> I typically throw soft plastics and have been fairly successful catching
> quite a few bass this year in the 3 to 5 lb. range. Recently, I've had
some
> very limited success with spinnerbaits, and am looking to increase my
> confidence in this lure type for largemouth bass.
>
> I have lurked in this group for the past few years and have read a number
of
> posts proclaiming the Secret Weapon spinnerbait system and am ready to
take
> the plunge. The fact I will be supporting a small company with roots in
this
> group makes it an obvious slam dunk.
>
> I mainly shore fish, but sometimes wander out on my 10 foot inflatable wit
> 30lb. trolling motor. The lakes and ponds I frequent in southeast
Michigan,
> are typically smallish and some are of the backwoods variety. They are
> typically gin clear.
>
> Now to the point... Since I am completely baffled by the numerous
varieties,
> I am looking for recommendations on color and blade variety that would be
> most likely to succeed based on my location and fishing tactics.
>
> Any and all tips, suggestions, and hlep will be *greatly* appreciated.
>
> Great group by the way. Thanks!
>
> --
> DG

Bob Rickard
October 25th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Your observations are a mini textbook of spinnerbait realities. They are
totally on target, and should be required reading for any angler!

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"Suthern Transplant" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> [...]
> take
> > the plunge. The fact I will be supporting a small company with roots in
> this
> > group makes it an obvious slam dunk.
> >
> > I mainly shore fish, but sometimes wander out on my 10 foot inflatable
wit
> > 30lb. trolling motor. The lakes and ponds I frequent in southeast
> Michigan,
> > are typically smallish and some are of the backwoods variety. They are
> > typically gin clear.
> >
> > Now to the point... Since I am completely baffled by the numerous
> varieties,
> > I am looking for recommendations on color and blade variety that would
be
> > most likely to succeed based on my location and fishing tactics.
> >
> > Any and all tips, suggestions, and hlep will be *greatly* appreciated.

Suthern Transplant
October 28th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Well thanks Bob,

I'm somewhat embarrased...
Still learning a great deal...This NG is helping me do just that...
One complaint though...All the reading of past info has kept me up way too
late lately...lol

Suthrn Transplant
"I wish I was in Dixie"