PDA

View Full Version : charging trolling battery on the water

s cass
October 10th, 2003, 02:34 PM
what are some ways of charging trolling batteries while on the water
fishing?

Chuck Coger
October 10th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Off of your main motor while running, and I have see the solar chargers. I
have never tried the solar chargers, but I seem to recall it is basically a
1-2amp trickle charge so it wouldn't do an awful lot.

Other than those two I would like to hear some more myself.

After I get my livewell aeration and cooling system in I may need another
battery, so I am intrested in this topic:)

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"s cass" > wrote in message
> what are some ways of charging trolling batteries while on the water
> fishing?

Charles B. Summers
October 10th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Justin Hires gave excellent advice when we were out on Dale Hollow last
month. He said that what he does when making longer runs is to diconnect the
trolling motor plug, then use a set of jumper cables to run from the engine
battery. He says that he can fish an entire weekend without having to plug
in a charger, using this method.

I haven't had the need to try this yet, so I'm just relaying what I've
heard.

"s cass" > wrote in message
> what are some ways of charging trolling batteries while on the water
> fishing?

Da Chief
October 10th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Charles, are you saying he hooks up the jumper cables from motor battery to
trolling battery on the long runs so that both get the benefit of a charge?
--
Shelby Foles,

Charles B. Summers
October 10th, 2003, 06:19 PM
yup

"Da Chief" > wrote in message
. ..
> Charles, are you saying he hooks up the jumper cables from motor battery
> trolling battery on the long runs so that both get the benefit of a
charge?
> --
> Shelby Foles,

Josh
October 11th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Or..... a really good set of trolling motor batteries will do the job for
two days. Now I'm not recommending you run your batteries like that all the
time, but I've used Optimas in the past and if not run in heavy current all
day long they'd last me two days. I pulled into a motel this year in the
middle of nowhere who's outside hook ups were busted up. Couldn't get a line
out from anywhere. Optima's lasted. Now just had to change to new batteries
and several friends recommended Stowaways.Bought em will see.

I've jumped trolling motor batteries from the cranks motor, but
seriously wonder how much of a charge you can get into the other two w/o a
spectacularly long run. Just wondering?

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear