PDA

View Full Version : Fall at the Local City Pond... Suggestions?

Dickie Greenleaf
October 11th, 2003, 06:50 AM
I shore fish regularly at a local park, which is conveniently located just
ten minutes away from my home, and have had some very nice success there.
This year alone, I have nabbed (3) 4lbers, countless 3lbers, and one
beautiful 4lb. smallmouth bass; all on various colors and lengths of the
Senko. That's the odd (if you can call it that) thing about this pond, all
the fish I seem to catch there are normally of the larger variety.

Well, it seems Fall is not a good time of year for this lake, as the bite
has virtually shut off. I have been skunked the last three times I have been
there. The pond is about 30 acres in size, with very sparse vegatation in
the shallows and a sandy sloping drop-off that surrounds it in entirety. It
is decidely stained green with depths slanting gradually to 8 feet, then
steeply to about 15 or 20. As a popular park, it also receives tremendous
pressure from locals who strangely feel safe eating bass that live in a pond
with storm sewer drainage in it's west end, and golf course runoff in the
north.

Does anybody have any suggestions on coaxing one or more of the beauties
that inhabit this lake, to make one last run before the upcoming Michigan
winter?

Thanks!

_______
Dickie

Huck Palmatier
October 12th, 2003, 11:38 AM
How far out to the 8-15' break?......if it's within casting distance,
perhaps a float&fly type rig may draw some attention....depending on the
forage, try a tube jig suspended under a slip bobber at 8-10' thrown out
past the break.....or how about a slip-bobber/drop-shot rig to hold a finess
worm in a horizontal position, if you can envision that? suggested Huck