PDA

View Full Version : Disney joins forces with pro-fish activists

Outdoors Magazine
October 31st, 2003, 09:16 PM
Disney joins forces with pro-fish activists

Pro-fish activists have won permission from Disney to adapt a film poster
for Finding Nemo to help promote vegetarianism to youngsters.

Pressure group Peta says it is using the cartoon characters on leaflets,
along with a two-metre tall fish, to persuade children not to eat fish.

The film features a shark who attends a support group for vegetarians which
uses the Peta slogan prominently.

A spokesman for Peta (People of the Ethical Treatment of Animals) said: "We
were delighted to see our tag-line 'Fish are friends not food' in the
Finding Nemo movie.

"The slogan is even being used on Finding Nemo pyjamas."

"We hope that after seeing Finding Nemo, children will agree that fish
belong in the ocean, not on dinner plates."

Story filed: 13:55 Thursday 9th October 2003

Copyright © 2003 Ananova Ltd

--
James Ehlers

Outdoors Magazine
www.outdoorsmagazine.net

RGarri7470
November 1st, 2003, 06:37 PM
It has been suggested fishermen petition Disney to stop their anti fishing
stance. Probalby won't do much good. Disney is home of the movie Bambi and all
the anti
hunter emotion it has started. According to a report I read in a magazine, the
original script for Bambi called the poacher that killed Bambi's mom a poacher
- but that was changed. Disney has been approached to put a disclaimer on the
movie that hunters are ethical, but they have refused. I respect Disney about
as much as I do PETA.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

November 2nd, 2003, 04:36 AM
I went bass fishing at Disney World last time I was there, they welcomed it.
Sounds like Disney is speaking out of both sides of their gill plates again.

Mike from Ottawa
November 2nd, 2003, 05:35 PM
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:16:59 GMT, "Outdoors Magazine"
> wrote:

> Disney joins forces with pro-fish activists
<snip>

Yes, anti-fishing nutters got permission from Disney to adapt a film
poster for "Finding Nemo" to help promote vegetarianism to youngsters.
Here's more info:

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_827281.html

If you don't like this, there is an online petition at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/msp1234/

I'm sure if the numbers become large enough, Disney will take notice.

You have to wonder why people like PETA make a fuss over such silly
causes when there are more than enough valid human rights issues to
fight over.

---
Mike from Ottawa

Frederick J. Barnett
November 3rd, 2003, 07:47 PM
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 12:35:37 -0500, Mike from Ottawa
> wrote:

>You have to wonder why people like PETA make a fuss over such silly
>causes when there are more than enough valid human rights issues to
>fight over.

Because PETA doesn't care about "human" rights. Excellent
example:

http://www.peta.org/feat/arafat/

Note that nowhere in this does she ask Arafat to stop the
killing of humans. Just animals.

Frederick J. Barnett http://www.eatel.net/~fred/
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

Murray Patrick
November 4th, 2003, 05:20 AM
The whole Walt Disney episode is a black eye on our culture. It makes my ass
wan'na dip snuff.

Musashi
November 4th, 2003, 05:31 PM
"Outdoors Magazine" > wrote in message
. ..
> Disney joins forces with pro-fish activists
>
> Pro-fish activists have won permission from Disney to adapt a film poster
> for Finding Nemo to help promote vegetarianism to youngsters.

Disney's big money maker is Tokyo Disney Land.
How are they going to peddle this idea to a country that eats that much
fish?

Bob La Londe
November 5th, 2003, 04:05 PM
"Musashi" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Outdoors Magazine" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Disney joins forces with pro-fish activists
> >
> > Pro-fish activists have won permission from Disney to adapt a film
poster
> > for Finding Nemo to help promote vegetarianism to youngsters.
> >

> Disney's big money maker is Tokyo Disney Land.
> How are they going to peddle this idea to a country that eats that much
> fish?

One little nibble a time. (pun intended)

Much the way anti gun advocates go after gun ownership a little bit each
year.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az