PDA

View Full Version : ·Paradigm Trap

Craig
October 12th, 2003, 03:43 AM
Sometimes we allow ourselves to become trapped in our own paradigms. The
events of today, are a prime example of why we need to continuously try new
things.

Here in Michigan, it was a cool sunny day. The water in the pond was
crystal clear and 62° with a slight ripple. I went to the pond primarily to
practice working my spinnerbaits after all the recent talk about them here
in the ng. I know where all the bass school up in the pond, so all I really
need to do is find what speed, size, and sound/action they want for the day.

I started with what I thought would be the perfect spinnerbait for the
situation - a 1/2-ounce with a hologram/silver flake skirt with a few
threads of ocean blue thrown in for good measure, and tandem chrome
willowleaf blades. I slow rolled it through the tops of the weeds, ran it
down a foot, waked it, burned it, jerked it, and jigged it all for not. So
I switched to a basically the same color with a Chrome/Gold blade combo with
the same results. Then I ran a white one, a green one, a craw, a shad, a
yellow, a chartreuse, and a black using every willowleaf and Indiana blade
color combo I could think of, with no results.

Then I took out a 3/4-ounce with a white living rubber round threaded skirt
and a single #7 Chrome Colorado blade. I have this lure primarily for deep
waters when I am HAWG Hunting. This thing has a HUGE Thump and it shakes
that 3/4-ounce jig pretty good side to side. You don't need a G.Loomis rod
to feel this puppy, because your rod tip bounces a good inch up and down
with every turn of the blade. I have seen this thing spook more fish than
it has ever caught fish, but not Today.

Today, this spinnerbait, that I call Big Thumper, was catching largemouth
bass as small as 8" to some real hawgs. I was totally shocked the first
time I slow rolled it though the tops of the weeds and suddenly it was gone,
and attached was a little 8" LM. Thinking it was a fluke, I casted it out
again and bam, another bass. But this one was more like two pounds, and it
just kept happening about very third cast.

Now everything I was ever taught says this thing shouldn't have caught a
fish in 4-feet of crystal clear water on a bright sunny day. I don't know
if the fish were hitting this lure out of fear, or hunger. I suspect it was
out of fear, because I caught one 10" that was hooked through its nose and
out the edge of the eye socket - and no it didn't blind it. That fish
rolled on this lure to push it away, or at least that is my theory.

Ok, we have a few marine biologist in here, so why do you think this lure
worked today? I really would like to understand this lure's incredible
results today, when it shouldn't have worked. But it does tell me, there
are no rules in fishing and I need to look beyond my paradigms.

--
Craig Baugher

go-bassn
October 12th, 2003, 04:45 AM
What is a paradigm?

--
http://www.fishingworld.com/MesaTackleSupply/
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com http://www.secretweaponlures.com

Shawn
October 12th, 2003, 05:27 AM
..twenty cents?

--
Early to Bed, Early to Rise,
Fish all Day, Make up Lies.

Shawn

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > Now everything I was ever taught says this thing shouldn't have caught a
> > fish in 4-feet of crystal clear water on a bright sunny day. I don't
know
> > if the fish were hitting this lure out of fear, or hunger. I suspect it
> was
> > out of fear, because I caught one 10" that was hooked through its nose
and
> > out the edge of the eye socket - and no it didn't blind it. That fish
> > rolled on this lure to push it away, or at least that is my theory.
> >
> > Ok, we have a few marine biologist in here, so why do you think this
lure
> > worked today? I really would like to understand this lure's incredible
> > results today, when it shouldn't have worked. But it does tell me,
there
> > are no rules in fishing and I need to look beyond my paradigms.

Craig
October 12th, 2003, 05:32 AM
A standard, practice, law, belief, opinion that you think always holds true.

--
Craig Baugher

Dwayne E. Cooper
October 12th, 2003, 08:10 AM
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 02:43:51 GMT, "Craig"
> wrote:

>Ok, we have a few marine biologist in here, so why do you think this lure
>worked today? I really would like to understand this lure's incredible
>results today, when it shouldn't have worked. But it does tell me, there
>are no rules in fishing and I need to look beyond my paradigms.

I've got a question for you Craig: Why are you just limiting your
answers from "marine biologists"? Don't tell me ya don't trust the
possible answers from the other 99.9% of us!

--
Dwayne E. Cooper, Atty at Law
Indianapolis, IN

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
October 12th, 2003, 03:00 PM
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 23:45:30 -0400, "go-bassn" >
sent into the ether:

>What is a paradigm?

You don't know what a pair of didigms are. They are those little
things you think you see out of the corner of your eye and when you
look, there is nothing there :<}
danl
Good fishing, great catching
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
Remove left x for direct reply

Craig
October 12th, 2003, 05:07 PM
LOL! Yeah, another paradigm . . . . Cleaver Mr. Coop, very cleaver.

--
Craig Baugher

Bob Rickard
October 12th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Great observation, Craig, and a reminder to all of us that those who feel
that carrying & trying just a few versions of their spinnerbaits, or
crankbaits, or tubes, or whatever, are those who most often end up catching
the fewest fish.

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com