PDA

View Full Version : freedom maps

swampdonkey
July 3rd, 2004, 04:40 AM
Hello,

I have a lowrance X-15 fishfinder/gps. I am looking at purchasing one of
the FreedomMaps for my fishing area. My dealer told me that if I buy the
Map (comes on SD or MMC card) and that if I make a copy of it, my purchased
copy will be ruined. I can't see hpw this type of copy protection is in
place as the data is on a typical MMC/SD card. By rights, I should be able
to backup the data to my PC via card reader strictly for backup purposes.
The cards are worth +$300CAN and to have one get corrupted would be big hit.
Anyone heard about these FreedomMaps and any copy protection on them?
Thanks.

Kerry

Steve & Chris Clark
July 3rd, 2004, 01:10 PM
The whole "maps" thing for Lorwance is done without the consent of Canadian
hydrographic consent any way. That's why a new set has come out. Copyright
BS. They still are not approved. I'm not sure if you couldn't copy them
inside of the GPS/Sonar unit themselves though? Pieces and portions? Just
the bits you need or want to share with someone else. There are quite a few
installable maps within the Freedom maps. It would be nice to send these
morsels of data e-mail to friends, wouldn't it??? I will see if I can find
my instruction page from my Freedom maps and see if there is anything in
there about copying? If not then maybe I could give it a try if nothing is
mentioned as a caution about copying? If it craps out then I will go back
to the store and get a new card. $330 is too much to charge for something I
can't use the way I want either!
I wish we had "Mikey" here to try it for us;-) (kid from Life cereal
that is)
Glad that you posted this, I was going to do some very detailed mapping on
my lake so thanks for the heads up on this one pal!! If the Freedom maps is
in slot "A" and loaded then maybe you could use the unit to load and upload
the data from "A" to "B" card after you have saved it after a recording and
replaying a recording? Then download the "B" card to your PC's hard drive
with the USB SD/MMC interface? Transferring GPS data to/from a MMC. Do you
have a 16MB card?
--
Steve

"swampdonkey" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a lowrance X-15 fishfinder/gps. I am looking at purchasing one of
> the FreedomMaps for my fishing area. My dealer told me that if I buy the
> Map (comes on SD or MMC card) and that if I make a copy of it, my
purchased
> copy will be ruined. I can't see hpw this type of copy protection is in
> place as the data is on a typical MMC/SD card. By rights, I should be
able
> to backup the data to my PC via card reader strictly for backup purposes.
> The cards are worth +$300CAN and to have one get corrupted would be big
hit.
> Anyone heard about these FreedomMaps and any copy protection on them?
> Thanks.
>
> Kerry

---

Steve & Chris Clark
July 3rd, 2004, 01:10 PM
The whole "maps" thing for Lorwance is done without the consent of Canadian
hydrographic consent any way. That's why a new set has come out. Copyright
BS. They still are not approved. I'm not sure if you couldn't copy them
inside of the GPS/Sonar unit themselves though? Pieces and portions? Just
the bits you need or want to share with someone else. There are quite a few
installable maps within the Freedom maps. It would be nice to send these
morsels of data e-mail to friends, wouldn't it??? I will see if I can find
my instruction page from my Freedom maps and see if there is anything in
there about copying? If not then maybe I could give it a try if nothing is
mentioned as a caution about copying? If it craps out then I will go back
to the store and get a new card. $330 is too much to charge for something I
can't use the way I want either!
I wish we had "Mikey" here to try it for us;-) (kid from Life cereal
that is)
Glad that you posted this, I was going to do some very detailed mapping on
my lake so thanks for the heads up on this one pal!! If the Freedom maps is
in slot "A" and loaded then maybe you could use the unit to load and upload
the data from "A" to "B" card after you have saved it after a recording and
replaying a recording? Then download the "B" card to your PC's hard drive
with the USB SD/MMC interface? Transferring GPS data to/from a MMC. Do you
have a 16MB card?
--
Steve

"swampdonkey" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a lowrance X-15 fishfinder/gps. I am looking at purchasing one of
> the FreedomMaps for my fishing area. My dealer told me that if I buy the
> Map (comes on SD or MMC card) and that if I make a copy of it, my
purchased
> copy will be ruined. I can't see hpw this type of copy protection is in
> place as the data is on a typical MMC/SD card. By rights, I should be
able
> to backup the data to my PC via card reader strictly for backup purposes.
> The cards are worth +$300CAN and to have one get corrupted would be big
hit.
> Anyone heard about these FreedomMaps and any copy protection on them?
> Thanks.
>
> Kerry

---

Steve & Chris Clark
July 4th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Well I found the instruction page and it is not the "freedom maps" but the
ones from "Navionics, clearer charts for serious navigation". It is an MMC
with the charts loaded on them too. These are the same charts as the ones
you buy from the Canadian hydrographic service, department of fisheries and
oceans for small-craft. Sorry I can't help you out with the freedom maps.
The navionics, FYI , is in the same price range$320 (CDN) and now there are
only two cards for the whole of Ontario and cheaper for each.
I'm just wondering if I can copy my MMC and back it up too? Maybe download
it to the hard drive of the lap top.
--
Steve

---

Steve & Chris Clark
July 4th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Well I found the instruction page and it is not the "freedom maps" but the
ones from "Navionics, clearer charts for serious navigation". It is an MMC
with the charts loaded on them too. These are the same charts as the ones
you buy from the Canadian hydrographic service, department of fisheries and
oceans for small-craft. Sorry I can't help you out with the freedom maps.
The navionics, FYI , is in the same price range$320 (CDN) and now there are
only two cards for the whole of Ontario and cheaper for each.
I'm just wondering if I can copy my MMC and back it up too? Maybe download
it to the hard drive of the lap top.
--
Steve

---

swampdonkey
July 6th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the reply...

That's exactly what I'm talking about (backing it up). I want to be able to
BU my card, but I am told by the reseller that if I do, my original card
will not work. I have never heard of this kind of copy protection before,
and the data is stored on these SD cards that are designed to have portable
data. I don't know what to think, but at $300 for the maps, its a little
risky.

swamp