PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Mornin' Flatheads

Pepperoni
July 3rd, 2004, 02:51 PM
I left the house this morning at 5:15 for my morning fishin'. Walked about
1/2 mile down to the river to watch the sun rise.
The catfish were rolling on the surface like trout rising after mayflies. I
figure they're chasing carp eggs. The carp are laying up in the shallows
like cordwood, their fins sticking out of the water. I took 3 flatheads in
an hour. The first, I tried to lift out, and broke the line. (they look
smaller 12 feet down the wall) Two minutes later, the next one hit; a nice
12 pound flathead. I worked him down about 100 feet so I could lie down and
reach out to scoop him up one-handed. He had been in the pool a while--- he
had two more hooks dangling from his jaw. As I was rebaiting, another
angler showed up. He set up 50 feet away, and we had to shout over the
sound of the rapids. He chuckled at my Smokey Link bait, until he noticed
the cat tied down the river. Just about the time I relaxed a little (it
often happens that way) the next cat hit. I use a little 6 foot ultralight
graphite rod and reel, but "loaded fer bear" with 20 pound superline. There
is no stretch in that line, so the little flimsy whip is more effective than
it looks. The cat made a dozen circuits of the pool with my little rod bent
into an omega shape before he came off the bottom. Once I can get them up,
they turn to face the current, and I can let them slide downstream to a low
walkway where I can grab them. This one was about 9 pounds. I had had
enough. (besides, all my bait was gone) Now I was faced with getting them
home without getting slimed, so I tied them to a 6 foot pole and slung them
across my shoulders. Next time, I'll tie one on each end; that walk home
nearly whupped me.

Well, I've got a sinkfull of fish to clean. Time to dig out my toolbox, and
see if I can find my razor knife. This won't take long, I'm ready for a
nap.

Pepperoni

Moontanman
July 5th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Sounds like a greast way to celebrate the freedoms we all enjoy so much and
what could be better that an early moring catfishing party! I love catfish too,
fishing for them and keeping them in an aquarium! I just got a baby flathead
and I'm keeping him in a 125 gallon tank. It should be a couple of years before
he out grows the tank but he is better than the South American cats every one
else uses as pets. I already have him eating worms from my hands! He's a smart
little bugger. Have a great forth!

Moon
I breed dwarf crayfish for planted aquariums and grow trees in aquariums.
My groups