PDA

View Full Version : GPS

DAVID MC CARVER
July 5th, 2004, 03:09 AM
I would like to buy a GPS device for marking fishing spots.
Cost is an issue so I need advice about brands and bells and whistles. I
fish fresh water rivers and lakes. Thanks for your input.
sawcat

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
July 5th, 2004, 03:09 AM
"DAVID MC CARVER" > wrote in message
> I would like to buy a GPS device for marking fishing spots.
> Cost is an issue so I need advice about brands and bells and whistles. I
> fish fresh water rivers and lakes. Thanks for your input.
> sawcat

Garmin GPSMap76. It's a little pricey, but it's well worth the money. It
has very good software available from Fishing Hotspots that is quite
detailed.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Sarge
July 5th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Garmin makes good GPS. I also like Magellan although their are folks that
hate them with a passion. Some advice on buying one is to go to a local
store and thumb through the screens on the GPS units in your price range.
See what features they have that you like and what which ones don't. I own
three different ones and they all have similar features but work slightly
different.

If you get one with a built in map and the area you fish in like has
constantly changing land form then the mapping will show you where old
islands were. This is good because the island may be covered with water and
the island now provides structure for the fish.

Sarge

joe
July 5th, 2004, 10:13 PM
In article >,
"DAVID MC CARVER" > wrote:

> I would like to buy a GPS device for marking fishing spots.
> Cost is an issue so I need advice about brands and bells and whistles. I
> fish fresh water rivers and lakes. Thanks for your input.
> sawcat

If you are just marking spots almost any model will do.

I have had pretty good luck with my Magellan Meridians. I got a great
deal on a yellow model, 2 MB built-in memory and a limited base map. It
also has a card slot and can use SD cards to upload additional maps and
store waypoints. On the down side this low end model has volatile memory
and running it to the end of battery may cause loss of unsaved
waypoints. For $99 though it is hard to beat.

My regular Magellan is the Marine model which has a n extensive base map
and covers most bodies of water with high detail. I have had some
failure issues; replaced one under warranty and I have a problem with my
current Marine model that I think may be a button failure. Still, for
the capability this is a good deal for about $250 plus. I like the
Magellan Meridian series and have used them extensively (use it daily in
the car actually) for the past 3 years or so (since they came out?)

I am considering the new Garmin though with the 115 MB builtin memory
but it is very pricey at nearly $500.

Good Fishin'

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!

jacques séguin
July 8th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Have got a Magellan 315 vertion 14 since 4 years and no problem. Don't
take the vertion 15 there a problem whit the orienting in french it do not
translate west and east correctly
"DAVID MC CARVER" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> I would like to buy a GPS device for marking fishing spots.
> Cost is an issue so I need advice about brands and bells and whistles. I
> fish fresh water rivers and lakes. Thanks for your input.
> sawcat

jacques séguin
July 8th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Have got a Magellan 315 vertion 14 since 4 years and no problem. Don't
take the vertion 15 there a problem whit the orienting in french it do not
translate west and east correctly
"DAVID MC CARVER" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> I would like to buy a GPS device for marking fishing spots.
> Cost is an issue so I need advice about brands and bells and whistles. I
> fish fresh water rivers and lakes. Thanks for your input.
> sawcat

tony pullen
July 9th, 2004, 08:55 AM
can you get water maps for your area