PDA

View Full Version : Soft Plastics hard or soft?

Chuck Coger
October 16th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Quick question for the group!

I am curious what people's preference is on soft plastics as far as it's
soft or hardness is concerned.

Do you like your worms really soft or hard (more rigid).
How about soft plastic jerk baits?
Does anyone notice a difference in pick-ups (bites) or hook-ups (actually
hooking them) between different plastic consistencies?

I pay attention to a 1000 variables on the water but the consistency of the
plastic is one I have seldom gave a thought too until now. I am only curious
because I am ordering a 55 gallon drum of plastic and I am trying to
determine which type to get!

Thanks

---
Chuck Coger
http:www.fishin-pro.com

Charles B. Summers
October 16th, 2003, 08:37 PM
The softer the better... in my opinion.

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
> Quick question for the group!
>
> I am curious what people's preference is on soft plastics as far as it's
> soft or hardness is concerned.
>
> Do you like your worms really soft or hard (more rigid).
> How about soft plastic jerk baits?
> Does anyone notice a difference in pick-ups (bites) or hook-ups (actually
> hooking them) between different plastic consistencies?
>
> I pay attention to a 1000 variables on the water but the consistency of
the
> plastic is one I have seldom gave a thought too until now. I am only
curious
> because I am ordering a 55 gallon drum of plastic and I am trying to
> determine which type to get!
>
> Thanks
>
> ---
> Chuck Coger
> http:www.fishin-pro.com

Huck Palmatier
October 16th, 2003, 11:11 PM
....agreed...soft makes for better hook penetration. said Huck

RichZ
October 16th, 2003, 11:21 PM
Chuck wrote:
> Do you like your worms really soft or hard (more rigid).
> How about soft plastic jerk baits?

In general, as soft as I can get. But it also depends on the bait. Soft
plastic jerkbait must be somewhat harder to work properly. Worms that are
supposed to move a lot of water (EG, gator tails and their clones) work a
lot better if they are not too soft. Ofset tail grubs and swim baits need
to be somewhat harder, too. But straight-tail/flat-tail worms, I like 'em
with the consistency of a wet dishrag. Same with creature baits. The softer
the better.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

go-bassn
October 18th, 2003, 11:21 PM
C'mon Huck, no plastic is gonna impair YOUR set!

Warren ;-)

"Huck Palmatier" > wrote in message
> ...agreed...soft makes for better hook penetration. said Huck

Justin Hires
October 21st, 2003, 04:03 AM
RichZ > wrote in message >...
> Chuck wrote:
> > Do you like your worms really soft or hard (more rigid).
> > How about soft plastic jerk baits?
> >

> In general, as soft as I can get. But it also depends on the bait. Soft
> plastic jerkbait must be somewhat harder to work properly. Worms that are
> supposed to move a lot of water (EG, gator tails and their clones) work a
> lot better if they are not too soft. Ofset tail grubs and swim baits need
> to be somewhat harder, too. But straight-tail/flat-tail worms, I like 'em
> with the consistency of a wet dishrag. Same with creature baits. The softer
> the better.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

********************************
If you want to make you're plastics softer and add some sent too:
Take some Berkley crappie nibblets and put them in with you're
soft plastics. Come in a jar, buy them at Wal-mart for $4. I have been
using them for awhile now. Works great!
-Justin

Dark Knight
October 21st, 2003, 01:31 PM
That's a neat idea Justin. How did you come up with that? Does anyone have
any idea why that works?

DK

om...