PDA

View Full Version : hard water

alwaysfishking
October 18th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Fish have lockjaw up here in the mountains again, water is very cold and I
saw some light ice starting in the ends of the lakes. I've fished everything
I could with just another pickerel to show for it, Grubs, spinners ,buzz
baits, cranks, senkos, trick worms,brush hogs,flukes,powerworms, stick
baits, sluggo's, the list goes on and on. Nothing. Talk about discouraging.
Current temp this morning is 33 degrees. Heading out to Promise land state
park tomorrow. Hopefully a bigger lake will produce a few fish, almost
forgot what hooking a bass feels like. I either need to move south or find a
way to catch cold water bass. Oh by the way I went deep and shallow with no
results, any ideas

Randy-

Thundercat
October 18th, 2003, 02:31 PM
"alwaysfishking" <alwaysfishking@ nospam.epix.net> wrote in message
<SNIP>
> way to catch cold water bass. Oh by the way I went deep and shallow with
no
> results, any ideas
>
> Randy-

Two words: lipless crankbait
If you recall last year's cooling down period, traps were the ticket for me
until the water was too hard for me to punch them through. Just a thought...

--
Harry J. aka Thundercat
Bass fishing is NOT a hobby...

go-bassn
October 18th, 2003, 10:17 PM
Who taught you that trick Harry?

WW

"Thundercat" > wrote in message
. net...
> "alwaysfishking" <alwaysfishking@ nospam.epix.net> wrote in message
> <SNIP>
> > way to catch cold water bass. Oh by the way I went deep and shallow with
> no
> > results, any ideas
> >
> > Randy-
>
> Two words: lipless crankbait
> If you recall last year's cooling down period, traps were the ticket for
me
> until the water was too hard for me to punch them through. Just a
thought...

> --
> Harry J. aka Thundercat
> Bass fishing is NOT a hobby...
> It is an ADDICTION!
> Brooklyn Bill's Specialty Tackle Fishing Team
> http://geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/

G. M. Zimmermann
October 19th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Randy,
Maybe its the body of water your fishing. My buddies and I were duck
hunting yesterday morning at a small farm pond near Hamburg, Pa. We weren't
seeing any ducks so I tied a red/black spinnerbait and a made a few cast right
at first light. Landed a 12" bass right away.
Caught another a few minutes later, then stoped to shoot the **** with the
guys. then the sun came up and started to burn the morning fog off and I
started fishing near some branches in the water. Caught 3 more on three casts.
Then we decided to pack up the decoys and call it a morning.
There must have been something special about that pond. 5 fish in less
than an hour of fishing on a 40 degree morning after a cold front in October
useing one randomly selected lure. We all agreed that it warranted a retrn
visit next spring with the kids.

-Zimmy

BassMr.
October 20th, 2003, 06:27 PM
What kind of reel fits on that shotgun Zimmy? :)

Charles B. Summers
October 20th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Randy... you're going to have to stop all this talk about hard water! You
just keep reminding me that Old Man Winter is just around the corner. High
here in TN suppose to be in the 80's today, and I'm trying to hold on to
these days as long as I can.

Saturday was the first time that I fished in the daylight hours in a long
time too! I gotta get back to the Priest sometime this weekend just to see
if I remember what it looks like all lit up.

"alwaysfishking" <alwaysfishking@ nospam.epix.net> wrote in message
> Fish have lockjaw up here in the mountains again, water is very cold and
> saw some light ice starting in the ends of the lakes. I've fished
everything
> I could with just another pickerel to show for it, Grubs, spinners ,buzz
> baits, cranks, senkos, trick worms,brush hogs,flukes,powerworms, stick
> baits, sluggo's, the list goes on and on. Nothing. Talk about
discouraging.
> Current temp this morning is 33 degrees. Heading out to Promise land state
> park tomorrow. Hopefully a bigger lake will produce a few fish, almost
> forgot what hooking a bass feels like. I either need to move south or find
> way to catch cold water bass. Oh by the way I went deep and shallow with
no
> results, any ideas
>
> Randy-

Justin Hires
October 20th, 2003, 11:19 PM
"alwaysfishking" <alwaysfishking@ nospam.epix.net> wrote in message >...
> Fish have lockjaw up here in the mountains again, water is very cold and I
> saw some light ice starting in the ends of the lakes. I've fished everything
> I could with just another pickerel to show for it, Grubs, spinners ,buzz
> baits, cranks, senkos, trick worms,brush hogs,flukes,powerworms, stick
> baits, sluggo's, the list goes on and on. Nothing. Talk about discouraging.
> Current temp this morning is 33 degrees. Heading out to Promise land state
> park tomorrow. Hopefully a bigger lake will produce a few fish, almost
> forgot what hooking a bass feels like. I either need to move south or find a
> way to catch cold water bass. Oh by the way I went deep and shallow with no
> results, any ideas
>
> Randy-
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
My choice would be a JIG&PIG and Spinnerbait. Work it slowly! I have
always done good with
it in the cold months..and year around for that matter. But, I'm sure
you tried that.
Also, remember..most small bass don't feed much past 50f.Although they
can be caught. But, from my experience in tournments, the smallones
are very few. I'm usually looking for one or two big bites in cold
water.
Look for you're bait fish. The bass are most likely in there deeper
water haunts
now. Checkout deep points, rock banks near deep water. And look for
creek
channel swings near the points. You're sure to find them.
Hope this helps.

Good luck to ya,

-Justin
/////////////////////////////////////

G. M. Zimmermann
October 21st, 2003, 09:09 AM
>What kind of reel fits on that shotgun Zimmy? :)

It was funny, one of my buddies said he wished he had a camera. I asked
why and he said I would make a perfect cover photo for a magazine: Dressed all
in camo, complete with headnet, shotgun slung over my shoulder, and there I am
fishing.
I just kept wondering, "now what the hell I am I going to do if I hook one
and a flock of woodies come buzzing in..."

-Zimmy