PDA

View Full Version : Question for anglers

Stunning Steve
July 7th, 2004, 02:45 AM
I've been a fisherman all my life, but there's one observation I've made that nobody seems to be able to answer, even fellow anglers. All anybody has ever been able to come up with is "I don't know. I guess I've always done it that way. Never really thought about it".

Here goes.

Right-handed people cast their line and hold their pole with their right hand, lefties with their left hand. When trouting, right-handed people reel their line with their left hand (since their right hand is holding the pole, right?). Same scenario for lefties. Hold the pole with the left hand, reel the line with the right.

Here's my question:

When salmon fishing, why do people switch hands and reel with the same hand they normally hold the pole with? I guess I'm the exception to the rule, as I salmon fish the same way I fish for trout, but EVERY other salmon angler I have seen will switch hands when they play a fish, choosing to reel in their fish and hold the pole with opposite hands. Wouldn't it make more sense to have your strong arm hold the pole when playing a mighty atlantic salmon? Why switch hands?

This one has be dumbfounded, and like I said, even seasoned, veteran anlglers can't come up with a logical explanation.

TGP
July 7th, 2004, 03:24 AM
>When trouting, right-handed people reel their line >with their left hand (since their right hand is holding >the pole, right?).

Hrmm not me...I cast it with my right...place it in my left, and reel with my right

---

Stunning Steve
July 7th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Old spinning reel which only has a one-sided handle perhaps? Fly reels can be worked from either side.
"TGP" > wrote in message ...
>When trouting, right-handed people reel their line >with their left hand (since their right hand is holding >the pole, right?).

Hrmm not me...I cast it with my right...place it in my left, and reel with my right

---

TGP
July 7th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Nope, its how I feel comfortable

8shrug*

--
http://www.vinlandphotography.20m.com
http://www.nfsportsweekly.com
"TGP" > wrote in message ...
>When trouting, right-handed people reel their line >with their left hand (since their right hand is holding >the pole, right?).

Hrmm not me...I cast it with my right...place it in my left, and reel with my right

---

---

Jim M.
July 7th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Stunning Steve entered the world pub known as rec.outdoors.fishing and
said...

> Old spinning reel which only has a one-sided handle perhaps? Fly reels can be worked from either side.

I must be a bit different then fly rods and open face spinners I reel with
my left and hold with my right, closed face and bait casters I reel with my
right and hold with my left.

I am right handed btw.

--
Jim M
posted on this day, the 3962nd of September 1993

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they
go flying by." -- Douglas Adams

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)

Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Jerry
July 7th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Jim M. wrote:

> I must be a bit different then fly rods and open face spinners I reel with
> my left and hold with my right, closed face and bait casters I reel with my
> right and hold with my left.
>
> I am right handed btw.

Same thing here with me. I think the main reason is normally when I'm
using a bait casting reel I can use both hands to put leverage on the
fish and pull back with while both hands are wrapped around the reel.
Seems with a spinning reel if I try that I kind of push the reel
sideways with my left hand and it just feels awkward. Also when I set
the hook or fight a fish with spinning reel I'll move my left hand to
the rod or just leave it on the handle but put on force against the
reel. Reading what I just wrote I haven't a clue what I just said, just
know it works for me.

Jerry

adam
July 7th, 2004, 06:07 AM
i cast with me right
i hold it with my right
and i hold the fly rod with my right
reel with me left
i must be an exception to

adam
[...]

July 7th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Jerry entered the world pub known as rec.outdoors.fishing and said...

> Jim M. wrote:
>

> > I must be a bit different then fly rods and open face spinners I reel with
> > my left and hold with my right, closed face and bait casters I reel with my
> > right and hold with my left.
> >
> > I am right handed btw.
> >

> Same thing here with me. I think the main reason is normally when I'm
> using a bait casting reel I can use both hands to put leverage on the
> fish and pull back with while both hands are wrapped around the reel.
> Seems with a spinning reel if I try that I kind of push the reel
> sideways with my left hand and it just feels awkward. Also when I set
> the hook or fight a fish with spinning reel I'll move my left hand to
> the rod or just leave it on the handle but put on force against the
> reel. Reading what I just wrote I haven't a clue what I just said, just
> know it works for me.

I understood it perfectly. For me I think it's more that I'm just too damned
lazy to change the handles from one side to the other. The fly ride I
learned on though only had a handle on the left side, it was pretty old even
back 30 years ago when I learned how to use it.
--
Jim M
posted on this day, the 3963rd of September 1993
To reply by e-mail catch the ZZZZZZ's in my addy...

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they
go flying by." -- Douglas Adams

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)

Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Jim M.
July 7th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Jerry entered the world pub known as rec.outdoors.fishing and said...

> Jim M. wrote:
>

> > I must be a bit different then fly rods and open face spinners I reel with
> > my left and hold with my right, closed face and bait casters I reel with my
> > right and hold with my left.
> >
> > I am right handed btw.
> >

> Same thing here with me. I think the main reason is normally when I'm
> using a bait casting reel I can use both hands to put leverage on the
> fish and pull back with while both hands are wrapped around the reel.
> Seems with a spinning reel if I try that I kind of push the reel
> sideways with my left hand and it just feels awkward. Also when I set
> the hook or fight a fish with spinning reel I'll move my left hand to
> the rod or just leave it on the handle but put on force against the
> reel. Reading what I just wrote I haven't a clue what I just said, just
> know it works for me.

I understood it perfectly. For me I think it's more that I'm just too damned
lazy to change the handles from one side to the other. The fly ride I
learned on though only had a handle on the left side, it was pretty old even
back 30 years ago when I learned how to use it.
--
Jim M
posted on this day, the 3963rd of September 1993
To reply by e-mail catch the ZZZZZZ's in my addy...

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they
go flying by." -- Douglas Adams

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)

Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

VWGolf
July 7th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Mee too. I'm right handed. Spinning Rod. Cast with right hand, switch pole to left hand, reel with right hand.
Fly, opposite, cast with right hand, reel with left hand...Weird...??

"TGP" > wrote in message ...
>When trouting, right-handed people reel their line >with their left hand (since their right hand is holding >the pole, right?).

Hrmm not me...I cast it with my right...place it in my left, and reel with my right

---

Hooked
July 8th, 2004, 12:56 AM
"Jim M." > wrote in message
. net...
> Stunning Steve entered the world pub known as rec.outdoors.fishing and
> said...
>
> > Old spinning reel which only has a one-sided handle perhaps? Fly reels
can be worked from either side.

> I must be a bit different then fly rods and open face spinners I reel with
> my left and hold with my right, closed face and bait casters I reel with
my
> right and hold with my left.
>
> I am right handed btw.

I am right handed also.

For fly fishing, right hand rod, left hand reel.

For spinning reels, right hand rod, left hand reel.

For baitcasters, right hand rod, left hand reel.

Hooked
July 8th, 2004, 12:56 AM
"Jim M." > wrote in message
. net...
> Stunning Steve entered the world pub known as rec.outdoors.fishing and
> said...
>
> > Old spinning reel which only has a one-sided handle perhaps? Fly reels
can be worked from either side.

> I must be a bit different then fly rods and open face spinners I reel with
> my left and hold with my right, closed face and bait casters I reel with
my
> right and hold with my left.
>
> I am right handed btw.

I am right handed also.

For fly fishing, right hand rod, left hand reel.

For spinning reels, right hand rod, left hand reel.

For baitcasters, right hand rod, left hand reel.

Robin Shortt
July 8th, 2004, 02:54 PM
I"ve always wondered that myself. I'm right handed but I hold
my fishing rod with my left hand and reel with my right.I know other fisherman that are right handed hold with their right and reel with their left. I guess its like someone
who is right handed but uses a left hockey stick. Its real
wierd.

Robin Shortt
www.goodnightcampingequipment.com
[...]

navealien
July 10th, 2004, 12:09 AM
yah i'm like you... cast with right.. switch to left.. reel with right

"TGP" > wrote in message ...
>When trouting, right-handed people reel their line >with their left hand (since their right hand is holding >the pole, right?).

Hrmm not me...I cast it with my right...place it in my left, and reel with my right

---

---

Hooked
July 10th, 2004, 12:25 AM
"Stunning Steve" > wrote in
message ...

Here's my question:

When salmon fishing, why do people switch hands and reel with the same hand
they normally hold the pole with? I guess I'm the exception to the rule, as
I salmon fish the same way I fish for trout, but EVERY other salmon angler I
have seen will switch hands when they play a fish, choosing to reel in their
fish and hold the pole with opposite hands. Wouldn't it make more sense to
have your strong arm hold the pole when playing a mighty atlantic salmon?
Why switch hands?

When switching hands, that second or two, that it takes to do so, could cost
you a fish of a lifetime as that fish picks up your fly and spits it before
you can react because you were too busy playing around switching the rod
hand.

After your fly lands on the water, you should be prepared for a strike
immediately. And that means keeping the rod in your casting hand and getting
rid of all the slack line with your reel hand to set the hook if a fish
takes.

[...]

Ronald Ausman
September 14th, 2004, 02:28 AM
I must really be messed up!

I am left handed and cast right handed so I strip and reel with my left hand seems natural.

ron
[...]

Calif Bill
September 14th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Because most reels are "right handed" in otherwords the handle is on the
right. And they feel more comfortable casting with the right hand. Most of
my casting reels are "left handed" so I cast right handed and reel with the
left. I am right handed.
"Ronald Ausman" > wrote in message
[...]

\Hooked\
September 14th, 2004, 08:56 AM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
k.net...
> Because most reels are "right handed" in otherwords the handle is on the
> right. And they feel more comfortable casting with the right hand. Most
> of
> my casting reels are "left handed" so I cast right handed and reel with
> the
> left. I am right handed.

Ok. Since this is a fly fishing news group, I will put this to an end.
Almost all (that I know of) fly reels are made to be ambidextrous. You can
simply turn the reel around, make a switch inside the reel, and it will
automatically retrieve the other way. (Check your owners manual.)

Got that?

Quite simple when one uses that god given organ called a brain.

"I did my duty. I was honorably discharged!" Bush proclaimed,
as though that proves anything. Keep this in mind. Convicted
D.C. sniper and serial killer John Muhammad served in the
Louisiana National Guard from 1978 to 1985. He was twice
court-martialed, once for striking an officer, another time for
stealing. He was AWOL and spent time in the jail.
Muhammad left the National Guard with an honorable discharge.
--NIAGARA FALLS REPORTER

\Hooked\
September 14th, 2004, 08:56 AM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
k.net...
> Because most reels are "right handed" in otherwords the handle is on the
> right. And they feel more comfortable casting with the right hand. Most
> of
> my casting reels are "left handed" so I cast right handed and reel with
> the
> left. I am right handed.

Ok. Since this is a fly fishing news group, I will put this to an end.
Almost all (that I know of) fly reels are made to be ambidextrous. You can
simply turn the reel around, make a switch inside the reel, and it will
automatically retrieve the other way. (Check your owners manual.)

Got that?

Quite simple when one uses that god given organ called a brain.

"I did my duty. I was honorably discharged!" Bush proclaimed,
as though that proves anything. Keep this in mind. Convicted
D.C. sniper and serial killer John Muhammad served in the
Louisiana National Guard from 1978 to 1985. He was twice
court-martialed, once for striking an officer, another time for
stealing. He was AWOL and spent time in the jail.
Muhammad left the National Guard with an honorable discharge.
--NIAGARA FALLS REPORTER

Calif Bill
September 15th, 2004, 04:10 AM
""Hooked"" > wrote in message
> "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> k.net...
> > Because most reels are "right handed" in otherwords the handle is on the
> > right. And they feel more comfortable casting with the right hand.
Most
> > of
> > my casting reels are "left handed" so I cast right handed and reel with
> > the
> > left. I am right handed.
>

> Ok. Since this is a fly fishing news group, I will put this to an end.
> Almost all (that I know of) fly reels are made to be ambidextrous. You can
> simply turn the reel around, make a switch inside the reel, and it will
> automatically retrieve the other way. (Check your owners manual.)
>
> Got that?
>
> Quite simple when one uses that god given organ called a brain.

And if you used that god given organ called a brain you would notice the
nf.sports,rec.outdoors.fishing also are posting to.

Calif Bill
September 15th, 2004, 04:10 AM

""Hooked"" > wrote in message
> "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> k.net...
> > Because most reels are "right handed" in otherwords the handle is on the
> > right. And they feel more comfortable casting with the right hand.
Most
> > of
> > my casting reels are "left handed" so I cast right handed and reel with
> > the
> > left. I am right handed.
>

> Ok. Since this is a fly fishing news group, I will put this to an end.
> Almost all (that I know of) fly reels are made to be ambidextrous. You can
> simply turn the reel around, make a switch inside the reel, and it will
> automatically retrieve the other way. (Check your owners manual.)
>
> Got that?
>
> Quite simple when one uses that god given organ called a brain.

And if you used that god given organ called a brain you would notice the
nf.sports,rec.outdoors.fishing also are posting to.

\Hooked\
September 15th, 2004, 07:21 AM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
k.net...

> And if you used that god given organ called a brain you would notice the
> nf.sports,rec.outdoors.fishing also are posting to.

Hey, I'm not the responsible party for cross posting!

Calif Bill
September 15th, 2004, 05:38 PM
""Hooked"" > wrote in message
> "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> k.net...
> >

> > And if you used that god given organ called a brain you would notice the
> > nf.sports,rec.outdoors.fishing also are posting to.
> >

> Hey, I'm not the responsible party for cross posting!

Well you did, and I read the post in R.o.fishing

Calif Bill
September 15th, 2004, 05:38 PM
""Hooked"" > wrote in message
> "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> k.net...
> >

> > And if you used that god given organ called a brain you would notice the
> > nf.sports,rec.outdoors.fishing also are posting to.
> >

> Hey, I'm not the responsible party for cross posting!

Well you did, and I read the post in R.o.fishing

\Hooked\
September 16th, 2004, 07:14 AM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
.net...

> Well you did, and I read the post in R.o.fishing

Doh!