PDA

View Full Version : A much needed trip...

Charles B. Summers
October 19th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Justin Hires and I headed out to Lake Barkley yesterday, even though we had
a nice cold front blow through, knew that the lake was dropping, and there
would be bluebird skies. What we didn't expect was a dense fog that would
settle over the lake and not break up until just before noon. In other
words, we didn't expect much.

However... we found fish just about everywhere we went, and mostly on
spinnerbaits. Only one color did not produce for us, and that was the Rock
Craw. We did what we could in the fog and picked up a few shallow fish, but
only one keeper. There was a tournament that also launched right after we
did, and finding a place to fish was tough since no-one wanted to make a run
in a shallow, foggy lake so we decided to head back to the marina for
breakfast.

Once the fog lifted... we made our runs to coves where bass had been
schooling baitfish. There we picked up more fish, but nothing that would
break the 15" keeper size. Finally, I managed my first keeper on a
Chartreuse Shad from a point where the water had a little more depth. So, it
made sense to me that we should head out to the main lake and check those
points. We headed towards Kentucky State Prison to some old road beds that
were on points. When Justin stopped the boat, I commented to him that this
had to be the best piece of bank I had seen all day. Once close enough, I
cast a Red Shad Powerworm over to a rock and before it even hit the bottom,
it started swimming sideways. I set the hook and made another comment to
Justin about this place. I babied the fish to the boat until Justin reached
overboard with the net. I wondered if Justin thought any different about
this small wall, but while he was on the phone with TNBass, I had more
pecks, and landed a smallmouth. I wanted to hang around here a little longer
but a group of bank fishermen came and basically took over.

All in all... we boated 16 bass. Only three were keepers, but the others
were all just shy of the 15" mark. The last time Justin and I fished here...
he kicked my butt pretty good, so this time I'm going to list the results
for revenge, LOL!

Justin: 1 keeper @ 2.03lbs, 6 short fish. (All on spinnerbaits)
Charles: 2 Keepers @ 2.06, 1.12, and 7 short fish. (5 on spinnerbaits, 4 on
Powerworms)

There was also talk of a future Mid-Tenn Classic to be held on this lake
too. The accomodations, location, and fishing is excellent! The lake at
winter pool can be a little tricky, but summer pool is ideal!

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com

Jerry \NervisRek\ Barton
October 19th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Just say when Son !
--
Jerry Barton
www.jerrys-world.com

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)>
wrote in message ...
> [...]
> but a group of bank fishermen came and basically took over.
>
> All in all... we boated 16 bass. Only three were keepers, but the
others
> were all just shy of the 15" mark. The last time Justin and I fished
here...
> he kicked my butt pretty good, so this time I'm going to list the
results
> for revenge, LOL!
>
> Justin: 1 keeper @ 2.03lbs, 6 short fish. (All on spinnerbaits)
> Charles: 2 Keepers @ 2.06, 1.12, and 7 short fish. (5 on
spinnerbaits, 4 on
> Powerworms)
>
> There was also talk of a future Mid-Tenn Classic to be held on this
lake
> too. The accomodations, location, and fishing is excellent! The lake
at
> winter pool can be a little tricky, but summer pool is ideal!

Justin Hires
October 20th, 2003, 03:02 AM
"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in message >...
> Justin Hires and I headed out to Lake Barkley yesterday, even though we had
> a nice cold front blow through, knew that the lake was dropping, and there
> would be bluebird skies. What we didn't expect was a dense fog that would
> settle over the lake and not break up until just before noon. In other
> words, we didn't expect much.
>
> However... we found fish just about everywhere we went, and mostly on
> spinnerbaits. Only one color did not produce for us, and that was the Rock
> Craw. We did what we could in the fog and picked up a few shallow fish, but
> only one keeper. There was a tournament that also launched right after we
> did, and finding a place to fish was tough since no-one wanted to make a run
> in a shallow, foggy lake so we decided to head back to the marina for
> breakfast.
>
> Once the fog lifted... we made our runs to coves where bass had been
> schooling baitfish. There we picked up more fish, but nothing that would
> break the 15" keeper size. Finally, I managed my first keeper on a
> Chartreuse Shad from a point where the water had a little more depth. So, it
> made sense to me that we should head out to the main lake and check those
> points. We headed towards Kentucky State Prison to some old road beds that
> were on points. When Justin stopped the boat, I commented to him that this
> had to be the best piece of bank I had seen all day. Once close enough, I
> cast a Red Shad Powerworm over to a rock and before it even hit the bottom,
> it started swimming sideways. I set the hook and made another comment to
> Justin about this place. I babied the fish to the boat until Justin reached
> overboard with the net. I wondered if Justin thought any different about
> this small wall, but while he was on the phone with TNBass, I had more
> pecks, and landed a smallmouth. I wanted to hang around here a little longer
> but a group of bank fishermen came and basically took over.
>
> All in all... we boated 16 bass. Only three were keepers, but the others
> were all just shy of the 15" mark. The last time Justin and I fished here...
> he kicked my butt pretty good, so this time I'm going to list the results
> for revenge, LOL!
>
> Justin: 1 keeper @ 2.03lbs, 6 short fish. (All on spinnerbaits)
> Charles: 2 Keepers @ 2.06, 1.12, and 7 short fish. (5 on spinnerbaits, 4 on
> Powerworms)
>
> There was also talk of a future Mid-Tenn Classic to be held on this lake
> too. The accomodations, location, and fishing is excellent! The lake at
> winter pool can be a little tricky, but summer pool is ideal!

Ok, my comments on the Barkley trip. But, first prefishing (me only
Friday).
Friday I started fishing at 6:30am my time. I landed 2 fish on a S.W.
in about
10 minutes just shy of keeper size. I contuned fishing and caught some
small ones. Just before dawn. At 7:45am I caught a 2 1/2 pound smallie
in 5" of water
on a S.W. That was busting up some shad. But, after this fish I only
landed
4 more short fish by noon. The fishing had slowed down! So, I went up
and checked into my room, and got a bite to eat. When I returned to
fishing, I
found that the fish were not responding very well. So, I decided to
just scout
the lake and find the bait fish. I found the baitfish in all my areas,
but no
activity. I decided to check out everything for Saturdays outing. Not
much
fishing, but alot of scouting.
The weather conditions were not improving! When I had started out it
was 55F,
cloudy, and a 5-8 mph N. NE winds. By, 5pm it was still cloudy and a
10-15 mph
N wind and the temp was dropping. A Low cold front pushed through all
day and
into the night.

Saturday. I headed out for the boat and found the fog was VERY THICK!
I could
only see 10ft or so. The temp was 40F. I thought Charles would be late
if the
fog was this bad on the road. But, to my suprise Charles was on time.
He arrived
around 6:45 my time. I had just missed a fish.
We started fishing just after that. Charles caught the first fish on a
S.W.
before dawn, a short one but nice. We contuned to fish in the heavy
fog. I
caught a keeper 2.03 on a S.W. around dawn. Where I had caught the
Smallie the
day before. Charles explained the rest of the day.... Except for me
taking it
easy on him. Doing more guiding than fishing. LOL! All in all a very
pretty
afternoon! And not bad fishing for both of us, considering the weather
conditions! Charles...GOOD JOB FISHING BUDDY!

-Justin

John Kerr
October 20th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Charles...sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi when you were up this
way, but I was out west losing my "money" in Vegas:). Glad you guys had
a good outing!

Charles B. Summers
October 20th, 2003, 04:53 AM
Thats ok John, I think if I had the chance to go to Vegas instead... I would
have been gone too! Maybe next time we can get a few others there too.

PS: Where's Mark McCoy?

--
"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> Charles...sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi when you were up this
> way, but I was out west losing my "money" in Vegas:). Glad you guys had
> a good outing!

John Kerr
October 20th, 2003, 11:12 PM
That would be fun to get a group out one the lake sometime! Refresh my
memory..."Where is Mark McCoy?".
JK

RGarri7470
October 20th, 2003, 11:52 PM
>There was also talk of a future Mid-Tenn Classic to be held on this lake
>too.

Sounds great - I loved Kentucky Lake the one time I fished it - placed second
in the Southern Regional in 1983 and missed going to the Classic by 2 pounds.
Caught a huge number of bass back then, would like to try it again. Would both
lakes be open to the tournament? If I remember right, each one is only about
115 miles long and you can cross over from one to the other in a canal near the
dam.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

John Kerr
October 21st, 2003, 01:47 AM
Re: A much needed trip...

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Mon, Oct 20, 2003, 10:52pm
(CDT+5) From: (RGarri7470)
=====
Sounds great - I loved Kentucky Lake the one time I fished it - placed
second in the Southern Regional in 1983 and missed going to the Classic
by 2 pounds. Caught a huge number of bass back then, would like to try
it again. Would both lakes be open to the tournament? If I remember
right, each one is only about 115 miles long and you can cross over from
one to the other in a canal near the dam.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
=====
Most tournaments let you fish either lake, and you cross over on the
barge channel...and many times, one lake or the other produce better on
any given day...ain't gotta clue why! <g>
JK

Charles B. Summers
October 21st, 2003, 02:54 AM
I think he's in Bumpus Mills. He hasn't posted here in awhile though.

--
"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> That would be fun to get a group out one the lake sometime! Refresh my
> memory..."Where is Mark McCoy?".
> JK

Charles B. Summers
October 21st, 2003, 02:55 AM
Both lake??? Heck yeah! Why limit waters that are connected? Combine both
lakes, and like I said... there is something for everyones style of fishing.

--
"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> >There was also talk of a future Mid-Tenn Classic to be held on this lake
> >too.
>
> Sounds great - I loved Kentucky Lake the one time I fished it - placed
second
> in the Southern Regional in 1983 and missed going to the Classic by 2
pounds.
> Caught a huge number of bass back then, would like to try it again. Would
both
> lakes be open to the tournament? If I remember right, each one is only
about
> 115 miles long and you can cross over from one to the other in a canal
near the
> dam.
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Justin Hires
October 21st, 2003, 03:17 AM
(RGarri7470) wrote in message >...
> >There was also talk of a future Mid-Tenn Classic to be held on this lake
> >too.
>
> Sounds great - I loved Kentucky Lake the one time I fished it - placed second
> in the Southern Regional in 1983 and missed going to the Classic by 2 pounds.
> Caught a huge number of bass back then, would like to try it again. Would both
> lakes be open to the tournament? If I remember right, each one is only about
> 115 miles long and you can cross over from one to the other in a canal near the
> dam.
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^
Yes, Ronnie. The tournment would be open to KY lake. Read my post
"Mid-tenn classic on Lake Barkley?" Glad to hear you're interested!
And you're right huge number of fish...Still is!

I'm asking everyone who is interested to make a post about there thoughts
under that post. "Mid-Tenn classic on Lake Barkley?"

Thanks,
-Justin
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^

John Kerr
October 21st, 2003, 03:46 AM
Re: A much needed trip...

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Mon, Oct 20, 2003, 8:54pm From:
(Charles=A0B.=A0Summers)
I think he's in Bumpus Mills. He hasn't posted here in awhile though.
--
Charles, are you talking about the McCoy I might have known in the navy?
JK

Charles B. Summers
October 21st, 2003, 04:40 AM
Hmm... I don't know. Look up McCoy's Market and give him a call. You never
know... it is a small world!

--
"John Kerr" > wrote in message

Re: A much needed trip...

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Mon, Oct 20, 2003, 8:54pm From:
(Charles B. Summers)