PDA

View Full Version : The Vegetation is Dieing in the Backwaters

Bob La Londe
October 21st, 2003, 12:28 AM
Ok, the vegetation is dieing in all the back waters. The bite sunday was
tough. About half the field brought in limits. We weighed in one. We
caught maybe 12 fish, but all shorts. Several boats weighed in zero.

We tried two backwaters. One with lots of dieing vegetation, and that was
deeper and pretty clear. We caught our one keeper in the shallower water
with all the dieing vegetation.

We caught a couple small fish in or near the mouth of backwater channels.

Ideas. We did not fish the main channel, but I'm not sure we could have
with Dave Grishams 30lb trolling motor. I had a hard time of it in the past
with a 50lb motor. On the other hand his 16.5 foot nitro might have been
small enough to be held with that motor. It was certainly nicer to fish out
of than I expected after fishing out of my 20 footer.

We threw topwater. I missed one nice fish with it. Almost everythign else
I caught was on topwater. I caught a couple shorts on a small U-Tail worm.

Dave threw his big three bladed buzz bait allmost all day. The one keeper
was when he switched over to a baby brushhog.

What would you have tried?

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Thundercat
October 21st, 2003, 03:08 AM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
<Snip>
> What would you have tried?
>

> --
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
> Simply add it to our index page.
> No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

I would have likely looked for some deeper weed growth that was still quite
lively. If that meant heading out into the main lake or river channel then
so be it. I would then either look for some signs of life or something
interesting in the surrounding structure. I would try to locate the depth
with the healthy vegetation and work my way a bit shallower or deeper until
I find that sweet spot. I would probably look for an abrupt depth change
happening on either edge of the healthy weeds, even if that abrupt change is
as insignificant as an old stump, boulder or drainage ditch. More often than
not, I would have a drop shot rod in my hand. A second choice for me would
be one of several hard baits: a suspending jerkbait, lipless crankbait or
deep diving shad imitator. I might also attempt slow rolling a spinnerbait
or dragging a Carolina rig, but I would definitely be fishing a bit deeper.

The above is all theory, of course. As a non-boater, I am typically
relegated to fishing how my partner wants to fish. The above is what I would
do if given free reign to hunt down my own fish when the bite is tough and
everyone else is pounding every bit of obvious visible cover.

--
Harry J. aka Thundercat
Bass fishing is NOT a hobby...