PDA

View Full Version : Lower Colorado Bassin' and more....YumaBassMan?

SHREDİ
October 21st, 2003, 01:34 PM
A shout out to Bob and anyone else who might know.

My buddy and I want to plan a bass trip to either the lower Colorado River
or we were thinking maybe Alamo Lake or any ColoRiver/western AZ lake---best
bass area.

We will be coming from SoCal and camping. Looks like November.

We have a 9ft zodiac and a kayak.

Any ideas? We were suggested Lake Martinez--Walter's camp--Alamo.
I have no clue but want to fish some nice and secluded waters teaming with
bass.

Many thanks,
SHRED

John Kerr
October 21st, 2003, 03:49 PM
Shred, It's been a long time, but I use to have great luck putting in at
Martinez, or Fisher's, then going down the Arizona Channel and fishing
the "hidden" pools off the inland side. One in particular was about a
mile above "White Rock" (you can't miss it, it's at the lower end where
the channel and river come back together). You have to watch careful for
it, and you have to pull your "little" boat about a hundred feet through
the weeds to get to it. If you can't see the inlet..it's just a "V" in
the reeds, then try climbing one of the higher cliffs along there and
lookin for it. I caught some mighty nice fish in that little pond! Top
water in the morning early, then some plastics or spinners mid day, then
back to the top water later...worked for me:).
Good fishing on the trip..have fun, and don't let the wind drive ya
nuts, it usually gives ya some slack early morning and late afternoon
<G>.
JK

Bob La Londe
October 21st, 2003, 10:49 PM
I replied to your buddy's e-mail in detail the other day. I think it was
your buddy. Although he said something about duck hunting.

Anyway, as John said there are a lot of backwater lakes off the Arizona
Channel downstream from Fisher's (free to launch at Fisher's Landing). Not
sure about getting a rubber boat through some of those back-back channels.
The brush can be pretty intimidating. I literally ran my boat over top of
the brush in places. My dad punctured a ruber boat in stuff like that many
years ago. He and his buddy put a wooden plug in it and kept going. He
kept that wooden plug as a souveneer for many years.

The under water vegetation is starting to die in all the back lakes and
coves so the fish are acting weird, but by the time you get here that should
have mostly cleared up. You might also consider launching out of Squaw Lake
($5) if you are wanting to run those smaller boats. The river can be pretty
intimidating with all the assholes running full bore on the main channel.
All of Squaw Lake is 5MPH and there is a protected channel over to Little
Senators (not Senator's Wash) that is the first of a string of back lakes on
the California side. There is also a good point to camp on in Little Squaw
Lake if it isn't already taken. The mouth of Squaw can be good if the water
is rising or falling very fast.

Catch up with me and I'll even take you guys out to show you some areas one
day. I have a tournament on November 1st launching out of Fisher's Landing,
but I am sure I could get out on the 2nd or maybe even on the friday
afternoon before.

Mittry Lake is also a good bet. Mittry lake is not slow speed, but no water
skiers are allowed so it doesn't get the heavy traffic. The upstream
channel has a lot of small and medium size fish. Launching there is free

I don't know about Alamo. I haven't been there in fifteen years, but it is
at an all time low right now, and not looking to fill up any before spring.
It has a reputation as a good crappie lake in winter. Since crappie can
survive in worse conditions than bass it might be excellent for crappies by
the time you get here. I plan to take a weekend run up ther later this
winter myself. A couple guys have already said they want to go with me.

As to camping. Plan to camp out on the water somewhere. The shore line at
Mittry Lake has a 10 day stay limit, but it will be crawling with snowbirds
by then. I think they allow tent camping at Fisher's Landing, but I'm not
sure where. You can pitch a tent out on the river anywhere you can find dry
land except in the preserves.

You might also consider the Recreation area at Picacho. There are a lot of
people who camp in that area, and it gives you ready access to the river
above Fisher's landing. There are several good backwater lakes up that way.
In fact if you catch up with me I can point you to one or two that are
perfect for your small boats. I won't mention them on-line because I don't
want them getting flooded by a ton of fishermen, but I don't mind turning an
out of towner onto a good spot or two. I can't get my Baker into one or two
of them unless the water is very high.

All of the water I mentioned is accessible from the river except Mittry
Lake, and Alamo Lake. Alamo Lake is quite drive from here. Mittry Lake is
accessible from Laguna Dam Road.

I could show you a lot of territory in a few hours on the river.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

"SHREDİ" > wrote in message

> A shout out to Bob and anyone else who might know.
>
> My buddy and I want to plan a bass trip to either the lower Colorado River
> or we were thinking maybe Alamo Lake or any ColoRiver/western AZ
lake---best
> bass area.
>
> We will be coming from SoCal and camping. Looks like November.
>
> We have a 9ft zodiac and a kayak.
>
> Any ideas? We were suggested Lake Martinez--Walter's camp--Alamo.
> I have no clue but want to fish some nice and secluded waters teaming with
> bass.
>
> Many thanks,
> SHRED

John Kerr
October 22nd, 2003, 12:21 AM
Shred, listen to Bob, and maybe take him up on his "offer"......I was
just sharing "long ago" experiences, he knows the water around there a
lot better than me! And he is right about the river being a questionable
place for a small boat situation...go with his advice on a "quieter"
piece of water!
JK

Bob La Londe
October 22nd, 2003, 01:35 AM
Check the Waterflow and the Az Game and Fish fishing report. I have links
to both on the front page of my site.

--

"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> Shred, listen to Bob, and maybe take him up on his "offer"......I was
> just sharing "long ago" experiences, he knows the water around there a
> lot better than me! And he is right about the river being a questionable
> place for a small boat situation...go with his advice on a "quieter"
> piece of water!
> JK

SHREDİ
October 23rd, 2003, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the advice!

John Smith
October 28th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Just got back from Alamo. Down to 6% pool. Fishing was beyond tough. 10
short fish and 2 over 12" in 2.5 days. Only bite was AM. Split & drop
shotting in 10-30', color didn't seem to matter. Hadn't been to Alamo in
10+ years, what a disappointment.

You can't see 12" in the water, fish came off the few decent points left in
the water and one of the roadbeds on the way to the dam.

Go for the south "riv", it's supposed to be real good!

BV

"SHREDİ" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the advice!

SHREDİ
October 29th, 2003, 01:16 PM
"John Smith" > wrote in message
> Just got back from Alamo. Down to 6% pool. Fishing was beyond tough. 10
> short fish and 2 over 12" in 2.5 days. Only bite was AM. Split & drop
> shotting in 10-30', color didn't seem to matter. Hadn't been to Alamo in
> 10+ years, what a disappointment.
>
> You can't see 12" in the water, fish came off the few decent points left
in
> the water and one of the roadbeds on the way to the dam.

Wow. That sounds bad.