PDA

View Full Version : Poll??? How far will you drive?

Charles B. Summers
October 22nd, 2003, 05:59 AM
To spend a day 8or more hours, how far would you be willing to drive to fish
a lake?

Let's do this in driving time instead of miles since the speed limits vary.
Think about driving the legal speed limit too, please. o:-)

Within a couple of hours away from Nashville, we have some major lakes. Dale
Hollow, Center Hill, Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, Pickwick, Percy Priest, Old
Hickory, Cheatham, Reelfoot... and several more. So, I'd say two hours for
me.

How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?
--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com

Josh
October 22nd, 2003, 12:13 PM
We have very poor fishing in comparison to most of the group when it comes
to one day driving ranges. I easily drive an hour to an hour and a half to
get away from some of the city pressure. Traveling to Wisc. or Mich. is a
remote possibility, but the sheer numbers of people who make that trip make
it uninteresting. 2.5 hours would be my max and even then not much water of
quality to hit. Your location and quality of water is what makes me want to
move to Nashville area.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

RichZ
October 22nd, 2003, 12:47 PM
I have dozens and dozens of really good smaller lakes within a couple
hours, plus the CT and Hudson Rivers and of course Candlewood, which is 20
minutes away. But I drive 4 hours to Champlain for a weekend on the drop of
a hat, at least once a month -- usually twice.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Craig
October 22nd, 2003, 12:48 PM
Good Question! I believe that you need to justify costs or expenses. The
reason I buy high quality equipment. One life time expense vs., continuous
small expenses. I also live in a great area of the country, because I am
surrounded by some of the most premier fishing waters in the world. I need
not travel more that 2-hours to find some of the best fishing waters for any
species of freshwater fish.

When I typically fish outside of this 2-hour travel distance, is when the
expense of the trip is on someone else's dime (work travel, won a trip,
etc.). The only other time is if I have the opportunity to win enough money
that it will not only pay for the trip, but enhance my investment funds
(college, retirement, living), such as tournaments.

--
Craig Baugher

Bob La Londe
October 22nd, 2003, 01:22 PM
"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in
message ...
> To spend a day 8or more hours, how far would you be willing to drive to
fish
> a lake?
>
> Let's do this in driving time instead of miles since the speed limits
vary.
> Think about driving the legal speed limit too, please. o:-)
>
> Within a couple of hours away from Nashville, we have some major lakes.
Dale
> Hollow, Center Hill, Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, Pickwick, Percy Priest, Old
> Hickory, Cheatham, Reelfoot... and several more. So, I'd say two hours for
> me.
>
> How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?
> --
> Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org

I drive from 10 minutes to 45 minutes to get to all of the best launching
areas in the area. I have been known to light up the big motor and run for
almost an hour up river to try some new areas upriver.

I guess the question might be refined to routine vs special fishing trips.
Alamo is abput a 6 hour drive at legal speeds, yet I plan to spend atleast
one weekend there this winter. Same with Lake Havasu.

So on a routine basis for a days fishing I drive less than an hour, but for
a chance to get away I might spend one day driving to be able to fish the
next day.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Eric Ryder
October 22nd, 2003, 01:49 PM
Most of the top largemouth waters in NH are within an hour. The Lakes
Region (Winnipesaukee, Squam, etc) are 1-1.5 hours with some of the finest
smallie action anywhere. The lower sections of the Connecticutt River are
just over an hour. About the only top destination I won't head for instate
is Umbagog in the far north at 2.5 hours (great smallies... but you have to
pass the Lakes to go there:)

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in
message ...
> To spend a day 8or more hours, how far would you be willing to drive to
fish
> a lake?
>
> Let's do this in driving time instead of miles since the speed limits
vary.
> Think about driving the legal speed limit too, please. o:-)
>
> Within a couple of hours away from Nashville, we have some major lakes.
Dale
> Hollow, Center Hill, Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, Pickwick, Percy Priest, Old
> Hickory, Cheatham, Reelfoot... and several more. So, I'd say two hours for
> me.
>
> How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?
> --
> Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org

alwayfishking
October 22nd, 2003, 01:53 PM
4 hours
"Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
> Most of the top largemouth waters in NH are within an hour. The Lakes
> Region (Winnipesaukee, Squam, etc) are 1-1.5 hours with some of the finest
> smallie action anywhere. The lower sections of the Connecticutt River are
> just over an hour. About the only top destination I won't head for
instate
> is Umbagog in the far north at 2.5 hours (great smallies... but you have
> pass the Lakes to go there:)
>

> "Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote
in
> message ...
> > To spend a day 8or more hours, how far would you be willing to drive to
> fish
> > a lake?
> >
> > Let's do this in driving time instead of miles since the speed limits
> vary.
> > Think about driving the legal speed limit too, please. o:-)
> >
> > Within a couple of hours away from Nashville, we have some major lakes.
> Dale
> > Hollow, Center Hill, Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, Pickwick, Percy Priest, Old
> > Hickory, Cheatham, Reelfoot... and several more. So, I'd say two hours
for
> > me.
> >
> > How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?
> > --
> > Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> > www.midtennclassic.org

RGarri7470
October 22nd, 2003, 02:41 PM
>How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?

I can be on 22 major lakes in Georgia, ranging from Seminole on the Fla. line
to Hartwell on the South Carolina line. I am right in the middle of Georgia -
can be at 20 of the lakes in 3 hours or less. I won't usually drive more than
1.5 hours on a one day trip tho - two hours is pushing it, and over two I will
spend the night. There are 12 major lakes within the 1.5 hours for me tho!
Including West Point, Oconee, Sinclair, Lanier, and others you probalby have
not heard of.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
October 22nd, 2003, 02:42 PM
"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in message
> To spend a day 8or more hours, how far would you be willing to drive to fish
> a lake?

***I've driven over 2 hours many times to fish. It makes for a long day, but it has been worth it
for me. The problem is that I have so many lakes in my area that it's hard to get to all of them.

> Let's do this in driving time instead of miles since the speed limits vary.
> Think about driving the legal speed limit too, please. o:-)

***Legal speed limit? I thought that posted speeds was just an advisory! ;-)

> Within a couple of hours away from Nashville, we have some major lakes. Dale
> Hollow, Center Hill, Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, Pickwick, Percy Priest, Old
> Hickory, Cheatham, Reelfoot... and several more. So, I'd say two hours for
> me.
>
> How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?

***How many lakes in a two hour driving radius of Rhinelander? Literally thousands!! Between
Oneida and Vilas counties, there's over 2,500 lakes. That doesn't include the neighboring counties
of Lincoln and Forest, which have probably close to 1,000 lakes as well. THAT's what keeps me
living here. So many lakes, so little time.....
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Charles B. Summers
October 22nd, 2003, 04:09 PM
Maybe it's that I'm still a young man, or it could be that I'm just too
cheap to spring for a motel, but... If I left the house for a two hour
drive, I can be at the lake at 6:00 if I left at 4:00. Then, if I fish for
about 12 hours, that would put me back home a little after 8:00.

My two hour drive was just covering Tennessee and some of Kentucky. Now if I
were making a five hour or longer drive, which would be a rarity... I'd get
the motel.

Just out of curiosity... how long was the drive to Tennessee for you last
year Ronnie?

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> >How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?
>
> I can be on 22 major lakes in Georgia, ranging from Seminole on the Fla.
line
> to Hartwell on the South Carolina line. I am right in the middle of
Georgia -
> can be at 20 of the lakes in 3 hours or less. I won't usually drive more
than
> 1.5 hours on a one day trip tho - two hours is pushing it, and over two I
will
> spend the night. There are 12 major lakes within the 1.5 hours for me
tho!
> Including West Point, Oconee, Sinclair, Lanier, and others you probalby
have
> not heard of.
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Charles B. Summers
October 22nd, 2003, 04:27 PM
I put up a map on abpf of a Nashville two and three hour drive time. It's
based on 65 miles per hour instead of Tennessee's legal limit of 70.

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in
message ...
> To spend a day 8or more hours, how far would you be willing to drive to
fish
> a lake?
>
> Let's do this in driving time instead of miles since the speed limits
vary.
> Think about driving the legal speed limit too, please. o:-)
>
> Within a couple of hours away from Nashville, we have some major lakes.
Dale
> Hollow, Center Hill, Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, Pickwick, Percy Priest, Old
> Hickory, Cheatham, Reelfoot... and several more. So, I'd say two hours for
> me.
>
> How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?
> --
> Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org

BassMr.
October 22nd, 2003, 04:32 PM
I drive from 3-4 hours to fish a good lake.It took 3.5 hours a few weeks ago
to Logan-Martin,and well worth it.( 31 fish) I drive from Nashville to N.
Atlanta every other week now and it takes just over 4 hours.I leave tomorrow
morning for Atlanta to get back in the truck and head to Knoxville to fish
Loudon-Tellico on Friday and the Clinch River on Saturday.
I feel now like I have the best of both worlds being able to fish in
Tennessee and in Georgia pretty much at the drop of a hat.
And don't forget about Pickwick and Guntersville.

Mark W. Oots
October 22nd, 2003, 04:42 PM
I live 45 miles SW of Chicago in a town called Channahon, IL, which they say
is Iroquois for "Where the waters meet". It's there that the Dupage,
DesPlaines and Kankakee meet to form the Illinois. Within 20 minutes of my
house are the above rivers, Braidwood/Mazonia Conservation area (Braidwood
cooling lake and Mazonia has various strip mines that vary in size from 2 to
over 100 acres) & Heidecke cooling lake. Within an hour is The Fox River,
Lasalle cooling lake, Mazon River and Lake Michigan. Add another hour and I
can add the Rock River, Green River, Franklin Creek, Shabbona Lake, Fox
Chain of Lakes, and various other locations around Northern Illinois and
Southern Wisconsin. On top of that, I own property in Lee County, Illinois
with access to 9 lakes and ponds from 6 to 28 acres that contain good
populations of LM, Bluegill, Red Ear, and a fair amount of White Crappie. I
guess the answer to your question is that I'm willing to drive up to two
hours for a day's fishing, but I seldom have to go that far.

Mark

---

Charles B. Summers
October 22nd, 2003, 06:04 PM
I didn't mention Douglas! Never been there, but from the reports that I get
from the TWRA, it's suppose to be the best lake in Tennessee to catch large
fish on an almost regular basis. (Less hours per fish over 5 pounds, they
say)

Guess I need to head that way one weekend, and you'll have to show me where
to fish Tellico! It's suppose to be another decent lake.

"BassMr." > wrote in message
link.net...
> I drive from 3-4 hours to fish a good lake.It took 3.5 hours a few weeks
ago
> to Logan-Martin,and well worth it.( 31 fish) I drive from Nashville to N.
> Atlanta every other week now and it takes just over 4 hours.I leave
tomorrow
> morning for Atlanta to get back in the truck and head to Knoxville to fish
> Loudon-Tellico on Friday and the Clinch River on Saturday.
> I feel now like I have the best of both worlds being able to fish in
> Tennessee and in Georgia pretty much at the drop of a hat.
> And don't forget about Pickwick and Guntersville.

BassMr.
October 22nd, 2003, 06:41 PM
Loudon and Tellico are both good fisheries since people have put fish back
for 20 plus years because of water quality.My friend I am fishing with
Friday has 2 Smallmouth over 7 pounds and quite a few in the 5 pound range.
I am anxious to see if they like those watermelon candy brush hogs I picked
up at Academy!

Charles B. Summers
October 22nd, 2003, 07:09 PM
Let me know how well those things do for you. Mine should be here by the
first of next week... but hopefully sooner.

"BassMr." > wrote in message
link.net...
> Loudon and Tellico are both good fisheries since people have put fish back
> for 20 plus years because of water quality.My friend I am fishing with
> Friday has 2 Smallmouth over 7 pounds and quite a few in the 5 pound
range.
> I am anxious to see if they like those watermelon candy brush hogs I
picked
> up at Academy!

John Kerr
October 22nd, 2003, 08:29 PM
I really don't have to drive more than 30 minutes to be at some great
fishing waters, Kentucky Lake, Barkley, and the rivers...but, I would
drive any distance if the "trip" was one I wanted to make! In fact, my
brother in law and I are planning to drive to Alaska next year in his
motorhome, with stops along the way to test the fishing in Canada too.
JK

Da Chief
October 23rd, 2003, 12:34 AM
How about 13hrs to Lake Fork Texas? Non-stop, except for gas and a burger to
go. Of course I fished a whole five days when I got there. ;)

RGarri7470
October 23rd, 2003, 01:11 AM
>Just out of curiosity... how long was the drive to Tennessee for you last
>year Ronnie?

right at five hours. Not bad at all for a five day trip!
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

RGarri7470
October 23rd, 2003, 01:15 AM
>How about 13hrs to Lake Fork Texas?

You can be in Rhinelander for the NWC next year in just six more hours! I have
driven nonstop (as you say, except for gas and food) home for the last three
years.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Carlos
October 23rd, 2003, 01:48 AM
Just about that for me. When I was fishing tournaments (IL BASS & Clubs) I
would say roughly 1 1/2 hour trip one way. From Lincoln IL, where I used to
live, that put me on 5 pools of the Mississippi River that we fished for
tournaments. Also, lakes Shelbville, Clinton, the IL river at several
different points. Lots of smaller city lakes and a couple power plant
lakes.

Further than that and I stayed over. Really liked going to the Ohio River
at Golconda and staying a week. That gives me the time that I can lock down
and explore the lower Cumberland. Rend lake is a favorite also. But just
too far for a day. That would mean about 6 1/2 to 7 hours on the road round
trip. Mark Twain in MO is also an over-nighter.

Carlos

Bob
October 23rd, 2003, 03:30 AM
And 3 hours on the road (more or less :-) puts me close by into the
Phillips/Tomahawk area and all the lakes that I seem to have spent my
childhood on!

Bob

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" > wrote in message

> "Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote
in message
> > To spend a day 8or more hours, how far would you be willing to drive to
fish
> > a lake?
>
> ***I've driven over 2 hours many times to fish. It makes for a long day,
but it has been worth it
> for me. The problem is that I have so many lakes in my area that it's
hard to get to all of them.

> > Let's do this in driving time instead of miles since the speed limits
vary.
> > Think about driving the legal speed limit too, please. o:-)
>
> ***Legal speed limit? I thought that posted speeds was just an advisory!
;-)

> > Within a couple of hours away from Nashville, we have some major lakes.
Dale
> > Hollow, Center Hill, Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, Pickwick, Percy Priest, Old
> > Hickory, Cheatham, Reelfoot... and several more. So, I'd say two hours
for
> > me.
> >
> > How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?
>
> ***How many lakes in a two hour driving radius of Rhinelander? Literally
thousands!! Between
> Oneida and Vilas counties, there's over 2,500 lakes. That doesn't include
the neighboring counties
> of Lincoln and Forest, which have probably close to 1,000 lakes as well.
THAT's what keeps me
> living here. So many lakes, so little time.....
> --
> Steve
> OutdoorFrontiers
> http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
> http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
October 23rd, 2003, 04:19 AM
"Bob" > wrote in message news:I2Hlb.3664$e01.9805@attbi_s02...
> And 3 hours on the road (more or less :-) puts me close by into the
> Phillips/Tomahawk area and all the lakes that I seem to have spent my
> childhood on!

And a darned fine childhood I'll bet it was too! If you're that close, you really need to hop on up
for the NWC!
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Chuck Coger
October 23rd, 2003, 04:28 AM
4-5 hours although I have driven 11 before for a single day of fishing and
then back a day later.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in
message ...
> To spend a day 8or more hours, how far would you be willing to drive to
fish
> a lake?
>
> Let's do this in driving time instead of miles since the speed limits
vary.
> Think about driving the legal speed limit too, please. o:-)
>
> Within a couple of hours away from Nashville, we have some major lakes.
Dale
> Hollow, Center Hill, Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, Pickwick, Percy Priest, Old
> Hickory, Cheatham, Reelfoot... and several more. So, I'd say two hours for
> me.
>
> How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?
> --
> Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org

Dark Knight
October 23rd, 2003, 04:52 AM
Living in Saskatchewan, I'm blessed with world class fishing within three
hours, though I have driven seven in one day to wet a line. (I presume that
we're not talking about "special", well planned trips here...)

DK

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in
message ...
> To spend a day 8or more hours, how far would you be willing to drive to
fish
> a lake?
>
> Let's do this in driving time instead of miles since the speed limits
vary.
> Think about driving the legal speed limit too, please. o:-)
>
> Within a couple of hours away from Nashville, we have some major lakes.
Dale
> Hollow, Center Hill, Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, Pickwick, Percy Priest, Old
> Hickory, Cheatham, Reelfoot... and several more. So, I'd say two hours for
> me.
>
> How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?
> --
> Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org

J Buck
October 23rd, 2003, 05:25 AM
If it's with friends and an 'event' i.e., a weekend, 3 hours

Illinois Fisherman
October 23rd, 2003, 09:47 PM
6 hours to Escanaba in DA U. P. pulling my boat. GOD lives there, I saw him.
Saw some UFO's once also. Not to mention the 25 foot tall buck that roams
them woods just north of Gladstone.

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in
message ...
> To spend a day 8or more hours, how far would you be willing to drive to
fish
> a lake?
>
> Let's do this in driving time instead of miles since the speed limits
vary.
> Think about driving the legal speed limit too, please. o:-)
>
> Within a couple of hours away from Nashville, we have some major lakes.
Dale
> Hollow, Center Hill, Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, Pickwick, Percy Priest, Old
> Hickory, Cheatham, Reelfoot... and several more. So, I'd say two hours for
> me.
>
> How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?
> --
> Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org

Calif Bill
October 24th, 2003, 07:54 PM
In another 5 hours, I leave for a 3.5 hour drive to Lake Oroville for the
weekend. Was about 85 degrees yesterday after morning fog at my house. For
a one day trip I drive for 1-2 hours each way at times. Is about 45 minutes
to the Sacramento Delta.
Bill

"Charles B. Summers" (Comcast)> wrote in
message ...
> I didn't mention Douglas! Never been there, but from the reports that I
get
> from the TWRA, it's suppose to be the best lake in Tennessee to catch
large
> fish on an almost regular basis. (Less hours per fish over 5 pounds, they
> say)
>
> Guess I need to head that way one weekend, and you'll have to show me
where
> to fish Tellico! It's suppose to be another decent lake.
>
> "BassMr." > wrote in message
> link.net...
> > I drive from 3-4 hours to fish a good lake.It took 3.5 hours a few weeks
> ago
> > to Logan-Martin,and well worth it.( 31 fish) I drive from Nashville to
N.
> > Atlanta every other week now and it takes just over 4 hours.I leave
> tomorrow
> > morning for Atlanta to get back in the truck and head to Knoxville to
fish
> > Loudon-Tellico on Friday and the Clinch River on Saturday.
> > I feel now like I have the best of both worlds being able to fish in
> > Tennessee and in Georgia pretty much at the drop of a hat.
> > And don't forget about Pickwick and Guntersville.

Fish Addict
October 25th, 2003, 12:00 AM
No more than two hours...unless I got a friend or relative that lives near
the lake. :-)