PDA

View Full Version : Tried some of Chuck's worms today!

John Kerr
October 25th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Chuck Coger sent me some worms he had poured, so I decided to give em a
try at a little private pond close by the house. Took my light spinning
gear and tied on one of the cinnamon ones...no weights, worked it off
some reeds where the water drops off pretty sharp....four nice fish in
less than 30 minutes! Now in all fairness, I usually catch that many in
this little pond when I stop by <g>. But, they worked...thanks Chuck! I
am gonna try to get out to kentucky Lake sometime this weekend, and will
give em the "test" out there...but I like the looks and feel of em, and
have confidence they will perform in the "big" water as well!
JK

Chuck Coger
October 25th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Woohoo glad to hear they catch fish outside of my lakes. Just wait till you
get the crawflapper I am sending you next week. If ya like to flip or jig
fish you might like these as well. Only have them done up n a couple of
colors though:( Waiting for my 50 gallon drum of plastic, and dyes to
arrive.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> Chuck Coger sent me some worms he had poured, so I decided to give em a
> try at a little private pond close by the house. Took my light spinning
> gear and tied on one of the cinnamon ones...no weights, worked it off
> some reeds where the water drops off pretty sharp....four nice fish in
> less than 30 minutes! Now in all fairness, I usually catch that many in
> this little pond when I stop by <g>. But, they worked...thanks Chuck! I
> am gonna try to get out to kentucky Lake sometime this weekend, and will
> give em the "test" out there...but I like the looks and feel of em, and
> have confidence they will perform in the "big" water as well!
> JK

Chuck Coger
October 25th, 2003, 08:46 PM
If your intrested in seeing the newer baits I have been tinkering with I
have taken some better pictures of the old and some pictures of the newer
baits. I would of course be intrested in hearing any comments so feel free
to mail me if you have any.

http://www.fishin-pro.com/my_plastics/my_worms.htm

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> Chuck Coger sent me some worms he had poured, so I decided to give em a
> try at a little private pond close by the house. Took my light spinning
> gear and tied on one of the cinnamon ones...no weights, worked it off
> some reeds where the water drops off pretty sharp....four nice fish in
> less than 30 minutes! Now in all fairness, I usually catch that many in
> this little pond when I stop by <g>. But, they worked...thanks Chuck! I
> am gonna try to get out to kentucky Lake sometime this weekend, and will
> give em the "test" out there...but I like the looks and feel of em, and
> have confidence they will perform in the "big" water as well!
> JK

TNBass
October 25th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Hey, Chuck... Those baits all look like they should attract fish, but I'm
not a great judge of what will and will not work. Almost every elongated
chunk of soft plastic in looks to me like it might interest a bass, but I
know from my own experience and from the posts others share here that one
lure may get bit while a similar one is snubbed.

I'm going to make a guess that your ideas come to you as you're looking
around your workshop. To me they sorta resemble a garden spade (Dart),
pitchfork without a handle (Crawflapper), glass cutter (Bonefish), wood rasp
(Flicker), and a center punch (Slugger). The Jigpig looks kind of like a
club.

Can you make one that looks like a pipewrench? I bet that would have great
action.

TNBass
____________
"Chuck Coger" wrote:
<snip> I would of course be intrested in hearing any comments so feel free
to mail me if you have any.

Chuck Coger
October 26th, 2003, 12:13 AM
That's funny;) and the answer is no I didn't get them from tools it just
turned out that way I guess.

In reality what I was doing was a psychology experiment along the lines of
ink blots, I will post your results later, all I can say for sure at this
time is that you failed the fishing portion of the experiment but you nailed
the shop part lol.....

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"TNBass" > wrote in message
> Hey, Chuck... Those baits all look like they should attract fish, but I'm
> not a great judge of what will and will not work. Almost every elongated
> chunk of soft plastic in looks to me like it might interest a bass, but I
> know from my own experience and from the posts others share here that one
> lure may get bit while a similar one is snubbed.
>
> I'm going to make a guess that your ideas come to you as you're looking
> around your workshop. To me they sorta resemble a garden spade (Dart),
> pitchfork without a handle (Crawflapper), glass cutter (Bonefish), wood
rasp
> (Flicker), and a center punch (Slugger). The Jigpig looks kind of like a
> club.
>
> Can you make one that looks like a pipewrench? I bet that would have great
> action.
>
> TNBass
> ____________
> "Chuck Coger" wrote:
> <snip> I would of course be intrested in hearing any comments so feel free
> to mail me if you have any.

RichZ
October 26th, 2003, 05:07 AM
TNBass wrote:
> I'm going to make a guess that your ideas come to you as you're looking
> around your workshop.

Some years back, worth (they of spinner blades and anchor winches) dabbled
in the soft bait market. They had a thin bodied worm that the positive
master for the mold was a bent saber saw blade welded to the end of a rat
tail file. The outside bend of the curly tail was serated -- the teeth of
the blade, it even had the alternating offsets of each tooth. The body had
the texture of the file. I always though they were pretty cool. Didn't
catch all that many fish on them though.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Chuck Coger
October 26th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Actually I must confess. I was bending down to pick up a fallen worm and
under my work bench was 2 clothes pins. Not the spring type but the old
type. It was positioned in a way that gave me an idea and the crawflapper
was born. Yes it is a clothes pin, I sawed the legs off of one, put an angle
on it and glued it to the other. Some minor sanding to round the edges and
it was all done. Personally I thought I was pretty clever at the time:)

Now as for the rest of them, the shop parallels never crossed my mind.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> TNBass wrote:
> > I'm going to make a guess that your ideas come to you as you're looking
> > around your workshop.
> >

> Some years back, worth (they of spinner blades and anchor winches) dabbled
> in the soft bait market. They had a thin bodied worm that the positive
> master for the mold was a bent saber saw blade welded to the end of a rat
> tail file. The outside bend of the curly tail was serated -- the teeth of
> the blade, it even had the alternating offsets of each tooth. The body had
> the texture of the file. I always though they were pretty cool. Didn't
> catch all that many fish on them though.
>

> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

Gone Angling
October 26th, 2003, 12:43 PM
How did you acquire the know how to make plastic baits? Sound like your going
to be doing it for a while if your ordering a 50 gal drum of material.

Chuck Coger
October 26th, 2003, 04:24 PM
I initially taught myself through a lot of trial and error, and I mean a lot
of error:) Then I met a guy at my local church while fishing last year and
we started talking and he had a successful worm business in the past that he
closed because he couldn't meet demands, and him and his business partner
had difficulties as well. So he shared some secrets and I componded my
knowledge on top of theirs. Still learning everyday though, it is a very
relaxing hobby, and to date only 1 neighbor has asked if I am running a meth
lab out of my garage, since it can create a lot of smoke if you spill the
plastic on the burner:)

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com