PDA

View Full Version : FAVORITE FALL LURES

Paul G. Mowrey
October 25th, 2003, 02:43 AM
It's late October. Air temps in the 50's. Water temps in the upper
50's/lower 60's. Sky is mostly sunny. Water is relatively clear. Lake has
blown down trees, some stumps, and underwater trees. Some areas are
consistently 10' to 15' deep. Other areas have steep banks into 30+' of
water. The lake is shaped like a hand, fingers and all.

What lure(s) would you use at this time of year and what time of day would
you most like to fish?

Thanks!

Jerry \NervisRek\ Barton
October 25th, 2003, 02:49 AM
Spinning baits, Crank Baits, and Jig/Pig are my favorite fall weapons.

--
Jerry Barton
www.jerrys-world.com

"Paul G. Mowrey" > wrote in message
> It's late October. Air temps in the 50's. Water temps in the upper
> 50's/lower 60's. Sky is mostly sunny. Water is relatively clear.
Lake has
> blown down trees, some stumps, and underwater trees. Some areas are
> consistently 10' to 15' deep. Other areas have steep banks into
30+' of
> water. The lake is shaped like a hand, fingers and all.
>
> What lure(s) would you use at this time of year and what time of day
would
> you most like to fish?
>
> Thanks!

Charles B. Summers
October 25th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Texas rigged zipper worms... on the bluffs just as the channel turns.

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
"Paul G. Mowrey" > wrote in message
> It's late October. Air temps in the 50's. Water temps in the upper
> 50's/lower 60's. Sky is mostly sunny. Water is relatively clear. Lake
has
> blown down trees, some stumps, and underwater trees. Some areas are
> consistently 10' to 15' deep. Other areas have steep banks into 30+' of
> water. The lake is shaped like a hand, fingers and all.
>
> What lure(s) would you use at this time of year and what time of day would
> you most like to fish?
>
> Thanks!

Brad Coovert
October 25th, 2003, 03:57 AM
I'd have to have a spinnerbait, lipless crankbait, jig/trailer and a C-rigged
plastic, probably a Senko, Ring Fry or Baby Brush Hog.

I'd start shallow in the fingers and work deeper.

As for time of day, all day.

Brad Coovert, 2003 Tournament Director, Greenfield Bassmasters
Please visit our sponsors:
http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

RGarri7470
October 25th, 2003, 03:25 PM
>What lure(s) would you use at this time of year and what time of day would
>you most like to fish?

I fished a club tournament at Lake Martin in Alabama last weekend and it was
typical of this year, kinda. The water temp in one cove dropped from 81 Friday
afternoon to 76 Saturday morning to 71 Sunday morning. We had a bad double
cold front come thru, first wave Friday night, second on Sat night. The skies
were clear and bright, and there was some wind Saturday, none on Sunday. The
fishing was tough for 44 of us, with only four limits brought in.

Saturday I was tournament director - it is a 3 club tournament - and I had to
let everyone go, so I was last. The first point I wanted to fish was full, so I
stopped on one just before it. Started with a big Fat Free Shad but got no
bites on a dozen cast. Picked up a spinnerbait and one hit it on the first
cast. Landed a second one on the spinnerbait about 15 minutes later, two
keepers in the boat before 7:30 when the sun came up.

I worked that point and some smaller secondary points around it with
spinnerbait, buzzbait, crankbait and worms, and my partner was throwing worms
mostly, no more bites. I moved into the shade behind the point and started
throwing the buzzbait, and caught a keeper. The area was full of logs and
brush. My partner caught one on a worm then I got another keeper on a
buzzbait. Four in the boat at 8:30 and the sun was getting bright. We fished
shady banks and coves for another hour and a half with no bites.

Moved out to main lake points and started throwing a Carolina rig into deeper
brush, caught a keeper at noon on it. Five in the boat, two short of a 7 fish
limit. Talked my partner into running way up the river at 1:00 looking for a
kicker since I figured everyone was catching the pound average fish like me.

Up the river I threw big crankbaits, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, and flipped a
jig and pig into blowdowns and around all cover I could find. Not a bite for
two hours. Then I put on a #5 Shadrap and caught two keepers between 3:00 and
4:00. We kept fishing there till 4:30 when it was time to head in - not another
bite.

I had my limit but figured they weighed about 7 pounds, and I would not do
good. And I was worried, I was on no pattern although I had a limit. At
weigh-in my 7 weighed 8.02 pounds and tied me for second for the day, winner
had four weighing 8.42 including a 6.02 pounder that was big fish. Everyone had
a tough time, with a bunch of zeroes after 10 hours of fishing.

Sunday I never caught a keeper, although I was first out and tried everything I
knew. Another fisherman that had a limit on Sat also zeroed on Sunday. Took
only 5.98 pounds to win on Sunday and 3.11 pounds to get 6th, nobody that
placed in top six on Saturday placed on Sunday! I ended up 8th overall, 2nd in
one club and 3rd in the other I fish.

All this is to say I will try anything and everything, from very shallow to
very deep, this time of year. But my favorite is a spinnerbait or buzzbait
worked around shallow cover.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Bob Rickard
October 25th, 2003, 06:20 PM
I wonder if anyone can guess MY favorite fall lure???????

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> [...]
> weigh-in my 7 weighed 8.02 pounds and tied me for second for the day,
winner
> had four weighing 8.42 including a 6.02 pounder that was big fish.
Everyone had
> a tough time, with a bunch of zeroes after 10 hours of fishing.
>
> Sunday I never caught a keeper, although I was first out and tried
everything I
> knew. Another fisherman that had a limit on Sat also zeroed on Sunday.
Took
> only 5.98 pounds to win on Sunday and 3.11 pounds to get 6th, nobody that
> placed in top six on Saturday placed on Sunday! I ended up 8th overall,
2nd in
> one club and 3rd in the other I fish.
>
> All this is to say I will try anything and everything, from very shallow
> very deep, this time of year. But my favorite is a spinnerbait or buzzbait

Dark Knight
October 25th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Crankbaits? Soft plastics?? In-line spinnerbaits???

hehehehehe

DK

"Bob Rickard" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]
> > weigh-in my 7 weighed 8.02 pounds and tied me for second for the day,
> winner
> > had four weighing 8.42 including a 6.02 pounder that was big fish.
> Everyone had
> > a tough time, with a bunch of zeroes after 10 hours of fishing.
> >
> > Sunday I never caught a keeper, although I was first out and tried
> everything I
> > knew. Another fisherman that had a limit on Sat also zeroed on Sunday.
> Took
> > only 5.98 pounds to win on Sunday and 3.11 pounds to get 6th, nobody
that
> > placed in top six on Saturday placed on Sunday! I ended up 8th overall,
> 2nd in
> > one club and 3rd in the other I fish.
> >
> > All this is to say I will try anything and everything, from very shallow
> > very deep, this time of year. But my favorite is a spinnerbait or

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
October 25th, 2003, 08:22 PM
"Paul G. Mowrey" > wrote in message ...
> It's late October. Air temps in the 50's. Water temps in the upper
> 50's/lower 60's. Sky is mostly sunny. Water is relatively clear. Lake has
> blown down trees, some stumps, and underwater trees. Some areas are
> consistently 10' to 15' deep. Other areas have steep banks into 30+' of
> water. The lake is shaped like a hand, fingers and all.
>
> What lure(s) would you use at this time of year and what time of day would
> you most like to fish?
>
> Thanks!

This time of year, I don't make a special effort to get up early for the morning bite. I prefer to
wait until the sun is up and have found that most of my bites come during the mid day period, when
the water has warmed up a degree or two.

As far as lures to use, I'm still throwing Secret Weapon spinnerbaits, especially shallow, near
stumps and rock piles, but the advantage to using a spinnerbait is that you can fish it faster, as a
reaction type bait or let it helicopter deeper and slow roll it. I will also use both hard and soft
jerkbaits, the soft ones if I'm pitching near cover, the hard baits if I'm fishing a little deeper
and in a less snag-filled environment. For this application, I like to use suspending type lures.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Bob Rickard
October 26th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Nope. It's Dwayne's famous Helicoptor lure!

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"Dark Knight" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > winner
> > > had four weighing 8.42 including a 6.02 pounder that was big fish.
> > Everyone had
> > > a tough time, with a bunch of zeroes after 10 hours of fishing.
> > >
> > > Sunday I never caught a keeper, although I was first out and tried
> > everything I
> > > knew. Another fisherman that had a limit on Sat also zeroed on Sunday.
> > Took
> > > only 5.98 pounds to win on Sunday and 3.11 pounds to get 6th, nobody
> that
> > > placed in top six on Saturday placed on Sunday! I ended up 8th
overall,
> > 2nd in
> > > one club and 3rd in the other I fish.
> > >
> > > All this is to say I will try anything and everything, from very
shallow
> > > very deep, this time of year. But my favorite is a spinnerbait or

Thundercat
October 26th, 2003, 09:51 PM
I would have thought for sure it was the HoverLure.

--
Harry J. aka Thundercat
Bass fishing is NOT a hobby...

"Bob Rickard" > wrote in message
.. .
> Nope. It's Dwayne's famous Helicoptor lure!
>
> --
> Bob Rickard
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> --------------------------<=x O')))><
>

> "Dark Knight" > wrote in message
> > Crankbaits? Soft plastics?? In-line spinnerbaits???
> >
> > hehehehehe
> >
> > DK
> >
> > "Bob Rickard" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > I wonder if anyone can guess MY favorite fall lure???????
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bob Rickard
> > > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > > --------------------------<=x O')))><

> > > would

> it
> > > was
> 81
> > > Friday
> > > double
> The
> > > skies
> Sunday.
> > > The

> > had
> > full,
> > > so I
> got
> > > no
> > first
> two

> throwing
> > > worms
> > started
> > and
We
> > > fished

> > > deeper
> 7
> > > fish
> > for
> like
> > > me.

> > > flipped a
> bite
> > > for
> > 3:00
> > > and
> not
> > > another

> not
> > do
> At
> > > winner
> > > Everyone had

> > > everything I
Sunday.
> > > Took
> > that
> overall,
> > > 2nd in

> shallow
> > buzzbait

Charles B. Summers
October 27th, 2003, 02:01 AM
C'mon Bob... you can't be a closet Boomerang user all your life.

--
"Thundercat" > wrote in message
> I would have thought for sure it was the HoverLure.
>
> --
> Harry J. aka Thundercat
> Bass fishing is NOT a hobby...
> It is an ADDICTION!
> Brooklyn Bill's Specialty Tackle Fishing Team
> http://geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/
>
> "Bob Rickard" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Nope. It's Dwayne's famous Helicoptor lure!
> >
> > --
> > Bob Rickard
> > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > --------------------------<=x O')))><
> >

> > "Dark Knight" > wrote in message
> > > Crankbaits? Soft plastics?? In-line spinnerbaits???
> > >
> > > hehehehehe
> > >
> > > DK
> > >
> > > "Bob Rickard" > wrote in message
> > > .. .

> day

> and
> > it
> > 81
> > The
> > Sunday.

> > > had
> > > full,
> > got
> > > first
> > two

> > throwing
> > > started
> logs
> > > and
> We

> into
> > 7
> looking
> > > for
> > like

> > bite
> > > 3:00
> > not

> > not
> > > do
> limit.
> > At
> day,

> Sunday.
> > > that
> > overall,

> > shallow
> > > buzzbait

Bob Rickard
October 27th, 2003, 08:39 PM
WHO CAN'T!!!!!

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in
message ...

Bob Rickard
October 27th, 2003, 08:43 PM
You're right, Harry. I screwed it up.