PDA

View Full Version : Oroville weekend

Calif Bill
October 27th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Took off to Lake Oroville for the last camping trip of the year. About 90
degrees during the day and windy at night. Caught one 10" bass! Had on a
couple of decent fish on a CR'ed baby brush hog. How can a fish, pull the
worm and hard at that for 15' and never even expose the hook. Figured they
must have been biting short and just pulling on the tail. Left my
spinnerbait box at home and only had a 3/8 oz in the boat. needed a 3/4oz
minimum as the fish were 25-35' deep. Only time I have failed dropshotting
at Oroville. Never got a hit. Broke one pole. One of my downrigger poles
for trout. A Shakespeare graphite. Looked at it's twin and there are
splits in the middle of that one also. Went by Wally world Saturday evening
to get batteries for the flashlight. Looked at getting a pole there for
downrigging on Sunday for trout and salmon. 98% of the rods were spinning
rods. The tackle store I normally use in Oroville was closed by the time we
got off the lake. But you'd think that a fishing supply store in Oroville
would carry at least 50% casting rods.

Bob La Londe
October 28th, 2003, 03:39 AM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Took off to Lake Oroville for the last camping trip of the year. About 90
> degrees during the day and windy at night. Caught one 10" bass! Had on a
> couple of decent fish on a CR'ed baby brush hog. How can a fish, pull the
> worm and hard at that for 15' and never even expose the hook. Figured
they
> must have been biting short and just pulling on the tail. Left my
> spinnerbait box at home and only had a 3/8 oz in the boat. needed a 3/4oz
> minimum as the fish were 25-35' deep. Only time I have failed
dropshotting
> at Oroville. Never got a hit. Broke one pole. One of my downrigger
poles
> for trout. A Shakespeare graphite. Looked at it's twin and there are
> splits in the middle of that one also. Went by Wally world Saturday
evening
> to get batteries for the flashlight. Looked at getting a pole there for
> downrigging on Sunday for trout and salmon. 98% of the rods were spinning
> rods. The tackle store I normally use in Oroville was closed by the time
we
> got off the lake. But you'd think that a fishing supply store in Oroville
> would carry at least 50% casting rods.

Bill, you know that in a pinch a spinning rod is universal don't you? I
have fished baitcasters and spincasters on spinning rods. in the past. If
the action fits your fishing you can cope with the lack of a trigger for a
couple days rather than lose out on some good fishing time.

P.S. You never answered me about trading time on the water. Take me out on
the Delta for a day, and I'll take you out on the Lower Colorado for a day.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Calif Bill
October 28th, 2003, 05:04 AM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > Took off to Lake Oroville for the last camping trip of the year. About
90
> > degrees during the day and windy at night. Caught one 10" bass! Had on
> > couple of decent fish on a CR'ed baby brush hog. How can a fish, pull
the
> > worm and hard at that for 15' and never even expose the hook. Figured
> they
> > must have been biting short and just pulling on the tail. Left my
> > spinnerbait box at home and only had a 3/8 oz in the boat. needed a
3/4oz
> > minimum as the fish were 25-35' deep. Only time I have failed
> dropshotting
> > at Oroville. Never got a hit. Broke one pole. One of my downrigger
> poles
> > for trout. A Shakespeare graphite. Looked at it's twin and there are
> > splits in the middle of that one also. Went by Wally world Saturday
> evening
> > to get batteries for the flashlight. Looked at getting a pole there for
> > downrigging on Sunday for trout and salmon. 98% of the rods were
spinning
> > rods. The tackle store I normally use in Oroville was closed by the
time
> we
> > got off the lake. But you'd think that a fishing supply store in
Oroville
> > would carry at least 50% casting rods.
> >

> Bill, you know that in a pinch a spinning rod is universal don't you? I
> have fished baitcasters and spincasters on spinning rods. in the past. If
> the action fits your fishing you can cope with the lack of a trigger for a
> couple days rather than lose out on some good fishing time.
>
> P.S. You never answered me about trading time on the water. Take me out
on
> the Delta for a day, and I'll take you out on the Lower Colorado for a
day.

> --
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
> Simply add it to our index page.
> No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

Was looking at buying a rod. Had enough to fish the next day. Just like my
level wind reels for down riggers. These rods are only a few months old.
Bought the Abu 4601's at the Fred Hall show in Long Beach. Maybe March.
Come on up. Semi Retired, so can normally slip away for the day. Thinking
of a road trip next year to the Colorado and the Southwest. Maybe over to
Powell. Buying a new Chevy Duramax 2500 at end of year. (want the new
motor they are starting in mid November. Adding to it a Fourwheel pop-up
truck camper. Did you get the CD I shipped you? And did it help?
Bill

Bob La Londe
October 28th, 2003, 05:10 AM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
k.net...

> [...]
> > Yuma, Az
> > http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> > Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
> > Simply add it to our index page.
> > No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)
> >

> Was looking at buying a rod. Had enough to fish the next day. Just like
my
> level wind reels for down riggers. These rods are only a few months old.
> Bought the Abu 4601's at the Fred Hall show in Long Beach. Maybe March.
> Come on up. Semi Retired, so can normally slip away for the day.
Thinking
> of a road trip next year to the Colorado and the Southwest. Maybe over to
> Powell. Buying a new Chevy Duramax 2500 at end of year. (want the new
> motor they are starting in mid November. Adding to it a Fourwheel pop-up
> truck camper. Did you get the CD I shipped you? And did it help?

Yes I did get it. It was very helpful. In fact it was better than the
alternative CD. Thank you. March is spawn here. What is it like on the
Delta? Anytime you want to come to Yuma I'll make some time to take you
out.

I'm hoping to try and get a handle on winter fishing here this year. I have
never had much luck during our short winter, but I know the fish can be
caught.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
Simply add it to our index page.
No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

Calif Bill
October 28th, 2003, 05:50 AM
Spawn on the delta is March, April, May, June and probably more. Since the
delta is 1500 miles of waterways and runs from the bay to Sacramento, a
distance of probably 130 miles by waterway. So lots of different waters. I
get fish on the delta, but not with great consistency. Maybe I need a
faster boat ;)
Bill

> [...]
> > truck camper. Did you get the CD I shipped you? And did it help?
> > Bill
> >

> Yes I did get it. It was very helpful. In fact it was better than the
> alternative CD. Thank you. March is spawn here. What is it like on the
> Delta? Anytime you want to come to Yuma I'll make some time to take you
> out.
>
> I'm hoping to try and get a handle on winter fishing here this year. I
have
> never had much luck during our short winter, but I know the fish can be
> caught.
>

> --
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
> Simply add it to our index page.
> No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

October 28th, 2003, 10:25 PM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Spawn on the delta is March, April, May, June and probably more. Since
the
> delta is 1500 miles of waterways and runs from the bay to Sacramento, a
> distance of probably 130 miles by waterway. So lots of different waters.
> get fish on the delta, but not with great consistency. Maybe I need a
> faster boat ;)
> Bill

I get fish on the Colorado, but not with any consistancy. Maybe I need a
smaller boat.

> "Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> > "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> > k.net...

> > About
> > > 90
> Had
> > on
> pull
> > > the
> Figured
> > > 3/4oz
> downrigger
> are
Saturday
> > for
> > > spinning
> > > time
> > > Oroville

> > If
> for

> > out
> > > on
> > > day.

> > > Was looking at buying a rod. Had enough to fish the next day. Just
> like
> > my
> > > level wind reels for down riggers. These rods are only a few months
> old.
> > > Bought the Abu 4601's at the Fred Hall show in Long Beach. Maybe
March.
> > > Come on up. Semi Retired, so can normally slip away for the day.
> > Thinking
> > > of a road trip next year to the Colorado and the Southwest. Maybe
over
> > > Powell. Buying a new Chevy Duramax 2500 at end of year. (want the
new
> > > motor they are starting in mid November. Adding to it a Fourwheel
> pop-up
> > > truck camper. Did you get the CD I shipped you? And did it help?
> > > Bill
> > >

> > Yes I did get it. It was very helpful. In fact it was better than the
> > alternative CD. Thank you. March is spawn here. What is it like on
the
> > Delta? Anytime you want to come to Yuma I'll make some time to take you
> > out.
> >
> > I'm hoping to try and get a handle on winter fishing here this year. I
> have
> > never had much luck during our short winter, but I know the fish can be
> > caught.
> >

> > --
> > Bob La Londe
> > Yuma, Az
> > http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> > Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
> > Simply add it to our index page.
> > No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

Calif Bill
October 29th, 2003, 04:33 AM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
et...
> "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> > Spawn on the delta is March, April, May, June and probably more. Since
> the
> > delta is 1500 miles of waterways and runs from the bay to Sacramento, a
> > distance of probably 130 miles by waterway. So lots of different
waters.
> > get fish on the delta, but not with great consistency. Maybe I need a
> > faster boat ;)
> > Bill
>
> I get fish on the Colorado, but not with any consistancy. Maybe I need a
> smaller boat.
>

> > "Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> > > "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> > > k.net...

> > > About
> > Had
> > > on
> > pull
> > Figured
needed
> > downrigger
> > are
> Saturday
> there
> > > for
> the

> you?
> past.
> > > If
> > for

> me
> > > out

> > like
> > > my
> > old.
> March.
> > > Thinking
> over
> new
> > pop-up
> > > >

> > > Yes I did get it. It was very helpful. In fact it was better than
the
> > > alternative CD. Thank you. March is spawn here. What is it like on
> the
> > > Delta? Anytime you want to come to Yuma I'll make some time to take
you
> > > out.
> > >
> > > I'm hoping to try and get a handle on winter fishing here this year.
> > have
> > > never had much luck during our short winter, but I know the fish can
be
> > > caught.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Bob La Londe
> > > Yuma, Az
> > > http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> > > Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
> > > Simply add it to our index page.
> > > No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

Maybe we need to have a SoWestern ROFB tourney. How is the fishing near
Laughlin?

Bob La Londe
October 29th, 2003, 04:50 AM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> et...
> > "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> > nk.net...
> > > Spawn on the delta is March, April, May, June and probably more.
Since
> > the
> > > delta is 1500 miles of waterways and runs from the bay to Sacramento,
> > > distance of probably 130 miles by waterway. So lots of different
> waters.
> > > get fish on the delta, but not with great consistency. Maybe I need a
> > > faster boat ;)
> > > Bill
> >
> > I get fish on the Colorado, but not with any consistancy. Maybe I need
> > smaller boat.

> > > Had
> fish,
> > > pull
> > > Figured
Left
> my
> needed
> > > downrigger
> there
> > > are
> > Saturday
> > there
> were
> > the
> in

> > you?
> > past.
> trigger
> > > for

Take
> > me
> for

Just
> > > like
> > > old.
> > March.
> > over
> > new
> > > pop-up

> the
> > the
> you

> > > have
> be

> Maybe we need to have a SoWestern ROFB tourney. How is the fishing near
> Laughlin?

I don't know, but I intend to find out. I was thinking of hiring a local
guide and doing some fishing during the Laughlin River Run next year. My
wife likes for us to ride our bikes up. While she is looking at all the
cool new motorcycle toys I can be out on the river.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
Simply add it to our index page.
No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
October 29th, 2003, 01:53 PM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message <SNIP>

> Broke one pole. One of my downrigger poles
> for trout. A Shakespeare graphite. Looked at it's twin and there are
> splits in the middle of that one also.

Bill, most of the downrigger rods I've seen were fiberglass in construction. From what I've been
told, most graphite rods were not designed to handle the constant stress of being loaded by the
downrigger system. This will probably continue to happen if you continue to use graphite, look for
some softer action glass rods instead.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers