PDA

View Full Version : What is this lure?

Craig
October 28th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Ok, it is not actually a lure, they are sinkers, and they come in a filet
lined case. They come two in a box, they are battery operated, and they
omit a ping sound when wet. I guess Bill Dance sold them on an infomercial.
The kit includes one bullet and one egg sinker.

One of my buddies show them to me. First do they work? He got them as a
Christmas gift three years ago and has never used them. When I asked why,
he said they cost $69 and he is afraid he will lose them. They look pretty
cool, and only ping or tick when they become wet so as to save on battery
life.

I wanted to try them so bad, I offered to buy them off of him, but he
refused stating he couldn't sell a Christmas gift. He probably saved me a
butt chewing from the wife for wasting money. So, again, do they work?

--
Craig Baugher
www.yessssports.com

pat gustafson
October 28th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Craig wrote:
> Ok, it is not actually a lure, they are sinkers, and they come in a filet
> lined case. They come two in a box, they are battery operated, and they
> omit a ping sound when wet. I guess Bill Dance sold them on an infomercial.
> The kit includes one bullet and one egg sinker.
>
> One of my buddies show them to me. First do they work? He got them as a
> Christmas gift three years ago and has never used them. When I asked why,
> he said they cost $69 and he is afraid he will lose them. They look pretty
> cool, and only ping or tick when they become wet so as to save on battery
> life.
>
> I wanted to try them so bad, I offered to buy them off of him, but he
> refused stating he couldn't sell a Christmas gift. He probably saved me a
> butt chewing from the wife for wasting money. So, again, do they work?

Only when hunting other submarines......

pat

A man
November 10th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Water is able to conduct electricity, so you have 2 wires separated
by a short distance. When the distance between the 2 wires gets wet,
electricity flows through them and the thing turns on and pings.

--
"Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove
all doubt."

RGarri7470
November 11th, 2003, 04:02 AM
>Water is able to conduct electricity

Water by itself will not conduct electricity. Other things become better
conductors when wet tho.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 11th, 2003, 02:30 PM
"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> >Water is able to conduct electricity
>
> Water by itself will not conduct electricity. Other things become better
> conductors when wet tho.

Tell that to one of our firefighters. We had a basement fire, thick choking smoke, unable to see
anything but a dull orange glow of the fire. He advanced the line near the fire and opened the
nozzle. The homeowner had left the circuit breaker box open with the cover removed. Electricity
went down the hose stream until the transformer on the pole blew, leaving him unconscious. We
carried him out, twitching and scorched. He survived the experience, but you'll have a hard time
convincing him that water does not conduct electricity. It might not conduct as well as other
things, but I for one believe that it does! Otherwise, boom shocking electro surveys wouldn't work.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Chuck Coger
November 11th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Ditto here. I was wading the Tridelphia Res. up in Maryland and my legs
started to tingle, so I started walking back towards bank and it got worse.
Then I finally almost stepped on an unmarked, unburied electrical
cable..ouch. Glad I saw it before I stepped on it. I suppose I could have
been standing on something that was conducting it, but I didn't see
anything.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" > wrote in message

> "RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> > >Water is able to conduct electricity
> >
> > Water by itself will not conduct electricity. Other things become better
> > conductors when wet tho.
>
> Tell that to one of our firefighters. We had a basement fire, thick
choking smoke, unable to see
> anything but a dull orange glow of the fire. He advanced the line near
the fire and opened the
> nozzle. The homeowner had left the circuit breaker box open with the
cover removed. Electricity
> went down the hose stream until the transformer on the pole blew, leaving
him unconscious. We
> carried him out, twitching and scorched. He survived the experience, but
you'll have a hard time
> convincing him that water does not conduct electricity. It might not
conduct as well as other
> things, but I for one believe that it does! Otherwise, boom shocking
electro surveys wouldn't work.
> --
> Steve
> OutdoorFrontiers
> http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
> http://www.herefishyfishy.com

RGarri7470
November 11th, 2003, 09:10 PM
>I was wading the Tridelphia Res. up in Maryland and my legs
>started to tingle, so I started walking back towards bank and it got worse.
>Then I finally almost stepped on an unmarked, unburied electrical
>cable..ouch. Glad I saw it before I stepped on it.

I think the wet ground you were standing on was what was conducting the
current, not the water.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

RGarri7470
November 11th, 2003, 09:16 PM
> Electricity
>went down the hose stream until the transformer on the pole blew, leaving him
>unconscious. We
>carried him out, twitching and scorched. He survived the experience, but
>you'll have a hard time
>convincing him that water does not conduct electricity. It might not conduct
>as well as other
>things, but I for one believe that it does! Otherwise, boom shocking electro
>surveys wouldn't work.

Sounds like the basement floor was wet. Are you sure the electricty traveled in
the water stream and not in the wet floor?

As far as electroshocking - you can force a current to jump from one electrode
to another and shock the fish in between, just like you can force a current to
jump between two electrodes in the air. But the air, and the water, are not
conductors.

We used to have a guy come around to the schools from the power company. He
would hook up a light bulb on one wire and run the end down into a beaker of
water. Another wire would be plugged in and run into the water about six
inches away. The light bulb would not light until he touched the two wires
together.

I think sal****er, if salty enough, will conduct electricty, as will other
solutions.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Nikolay
November 11th, 2003, 09:49 PM
I agree with Ronnie. Water (chemically clean or distilled) is a very bad
conductor. But the "regular" water has some minerals in it that
are making it conductive. Sal****er is the best.
Isn't it amazing? Dry salt is not a conductor. Neither is distilled water.
Mix them together and you have a pretty descent conductor!
The moral: don't try to plug a wet senko in the wall :-)

Cheers,
Nikolay

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:

> "RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> > >Water is able to conduct electricity
> >
> > Water by itself will not conduct electricity. Other things become better
> > conductors when wet tho.
>
> Tell that to one of our firefighters. We had a basement fire, thick choking smoke, unable to see
> anything but a dull orange glow of the fire. He advanced the line near the fire and opened the
> nozzle. The homeowner had left the circuit breaker box open with the cover removed. Electricity
> went down the hose stream until the transformer on the pole blew, leaving him unconscious. We
> carried him out, twitching and scorched. He survived the experience, but you'll have a hard time
> convincing him that water does not conduct electricity. It might not conduct as well as other
> things, but I for one believe that it does! Otherwise, boom shocking electro surveys wouldn't work.
> --
> Steve
> OutdoorFrontiers
> http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
> http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Joe
November 11th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Any farm boys in the group? I remember getting tricked into peeing on an
electric fence when I was a kid. Must have been the salt. My mom always said
I used
too much. ;-)
Joe Z.

As far as electroshocking - you can force a current to jump from one
electrode
to another and shock the fish in between, just like you can force a current
jump between two electrodes in the air. But the air, and the water, are not
conductors.

We used to have a guy come around to the schools from the power company. He
would hook up a light bulb on one wire and run the end down into a beaker of
water. Another wire would be plugged in and run into the water about six
inches away. The light bulb would not light until he touched the two wires
together.

I think sal****er, if salty enough, will conduct electricty, as will other
solutions.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 11th, 2003, 11:26 PM
"Joe" > wrote in message ...
> Any farm boys in the group? I remember getting tricked into peeing on an
> electric fence when I was a kid. Must have been the salt. My mom always said
> I used
> too much. ;-)

Yes, unfortunately, I can relate to that story as well. However, I did get to play it on many city
cousins. :)
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

John Kerr
November 12th, 2003, 12:17 AM
If I ever had been tricked into peeing on an electric fence....I don't
think I would ever tell anybody!!!!!! <g>

JK
=====
Re: What is this lure?

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Tue, Nov 11, 2003, 5:23pm From:
(Joe)
======
As far as electroshocking - you can force a current to jump from one
electrode
to another and shock the fish in between, just like you can force a
current to
jump between two electrodes in the air. But the air, and the water, are
not conductors.
We used to have a guy come around to the schools from the power company.
He would hook up a light bulb on one wire and run the end down into a
beaker of water. Another wire would be plugged in and run into the water
about six inches away. The light bulb would not light until he touched
the two wires together.
I think sal****er, if salty enough, will conduct electricty, as will
other solutions.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Crownliner
November 12th, 2003, 01:00 AM
it is very unlikely that it happened that way. more than likely the water
from the hose created standing water on the floor which in turn carried the
electrical current from the box or other source to the fireman. water most
certainly is a conductor and any basic science teacher can set up an
experiment to prove conductivity with a battery, penny and piece of zinc.

i am not in any way calling you a liar, and concede that it is in theory
possible that the current followed the water jet from the hose, but i
suspect the current more likely flowed from the water on the floor.

just to stay on topic, the bass in southern missouri (table rock-bull
shoals) are 1/2 way back in the coves, near the channel and setting in 15-20
feet and feeding like crazy. good fishing times right now.

peace to all,

crownliner
"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" > wrote in message

> "RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> > >Water is able to conduct electricity
> >
> > Water by itself will not conduct electricity. Other things become better
> > conductors when wet tho.
>
> Tell that to one of our firefighters. We had a basement fire, thick
choking smoke, unable to see
> anything but a dull orange glow of the fire. He advanced the line near
the fire and opened the
> nozzle. The homeowner had left the circuit breaker box open with the
cover removed. Electricity
> went down the hose stream until the transformer on the pole blew, leaving
him unconscious. We
> carried him out, twitching and scorched. He survived the experience, but
you'll have a hard time
> convincing him that water does not conduct electricity. It might not
conduct as well as other
> things, but I for one believe that it does! Otherwise, boom shocking
electro surveys wouldn't work.
> --
> Steve
> OutdoorFrontiers
> http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
> http://www.herefishyfishy.com

J Buck
November 12th, 2003, 02:32 AM
<Any farm boys in the group? I remember getting tricked into peeing on
an electric fence when I was a kid.>

Yep, same here. Also fooled a city cousin into it, topped off by him not
believing what would happen if he straddled a cow patty and dropped a
large rock on it.

Calif Bill
November 12th, 2003, 04:57 AM
"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> >I was wading the Tridelphia Res. up in Maryland and my legs
> >started to tingle, so I started walking back towards bank and it got
worse.
> >Then I finally almost stepped on an unmarked, unburied electrical
> >cable..ouch. Glad I saw it before I stepped on it.
>
> I think the wet ground you were standing on was what was conducting the
> current, not the water.
>
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Distilled water conducts very little. But add some contamination, anything
acid really helps and you get conduction. Most water is not really pure
that is found in nature, and with acid rain, becomes slightly acidic.
Therefore a conductor. Same with the water that comes out of a firehose.
May be non neutral Ph wise, so conducts. And is most likely non neutal Ph
wise.
Bill

Jknomail
November 19th, 2003, 07:48 PM
>Any farm boys in the group? I remember getting tricked into peeing on an
>electric fence when I was a kid.

Yep - I done that. That's something you'll only do once.

Bass Wishes from South Florida
Jack

Reply by email to k a z e e jk at ay-oh-well dot com.
Just remove the spaces, fix the last part, and so on.