PDA

View Full Version : Reel Advice Please

mhood
October 28th, 2003, 03:45 AM
I currently own a GLoomis SJR720 IMX with TwinPower 1000 (6 lb. mono)
for light spinning, a GL CR721 IMX with Scorpion 1000 (10 lb. mono) for
light baitcasting, and am considering a third rig for a little heavier
duty (14 lb. +). I'm thinking a GL MBR783 IMX, but am not sure about
what reel. The new Scorpion Quickfire looks good...I love my Scorpion
1000, and would like to have more line capacity on the new reel. I also
like to palm my baitcasters, so a low profile is a given. I can't say
money is no object (my wife won't let me ;-) but I'm willing to spend as
much for the reel as I do for the rod (under $250). It's probably
obvious I'm partial to reels made by Shimano for the Japanese market,
but that's because I haven't been disappointed so far and haven't tried
any Daiwas yet (aside from dry firing a few at BPS ;-). Any
recommendations?

Thanks,

mhood

--
Marc C. Hood
Born an American.

Brad Coovert
October 28th, 2003, 08:03 PM
>Any
>recommendations?

Keep it simple and all the same, stick with the Shimano and Loomis combos.

My next reel will be a Japan Scorpion. Christmas is getting close.

Brad Coovert, 2003 Tournament Director, Greenfield Bassmasters
Please visit our sponsors:
http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

alwayfishking
October 28th, 2003, 10:06 PM
stick with the 1000, just a sweet sweet reel, I own two and will probably
get another one.
"Brad Coovert" > wrote in message
> >Any
> >recommendations?
> >

> Keep it simple and all the same, stick with the Shimano and Loomis combos.
>
> My next reel will be a Japan Scorpion. Christmas is getting close.
>
> Brad Coovert, 2003 Tournament Director, Greenfield Bassmasters
> Please visit our sponsors:
> http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

Thundercat
October 28th, 2003, 10:40 PM
"mhood" > wrote in message
<snippity doo da>
> I'm thinking a GL MBR783 IMX, but am not sure about
> what reel. The new Scorpion Quickfire looks good...I love my Scorpion
> 1000, and would like to have more line capacity on the new reel. I also
> like to palm my baitcasters, so a low profile is a given. I can't say
> money is no object (my wife won't let me ;-) but I'm willing to spend as
> much for the reel as I do for the rod (under $250).

Shimano Chronarch Super Free to keep you in your price range. Hands down.
Anything else I would recommend that is built to this standard of quality
(or better) would cost you another $20 and would not be brackish water
friendly. That is the Shimano Metanium MG (Japanese model). Well worth the
extra $20 of "honey do's" if you asked me.

--
Harry J. aka Thundercat
Bass fishing is NOT a hobby...