PDA

View Full Version : Cwellyn 2004 gathering

W. D. Grey
July 19th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Hi folks,

Just thought I'd remind everyone who is going camping at Cwellyn to be
prepared for midges, I say again, MIDGES.

When I camped there two years ago, we were plagued by the little
b****rs, The best solution was to wear a head net with a wide brimmed
hat together with a decent midge repelling lotion.

I have been using the Jungle Formula sachets recently and they are very
good and convenient. The J.F.spray/solution should be equally effective.

The head nets are made by "Lifesystems" and can be bought at most good
uotdoor equipment shops. The is one on the way from Beddgelert to
Rhyd-Ddu called "Warws" it is on the left as you leave Beddgelert

Lifesystems also make a hat with integral head net which is very good.

The midge net on its own costs about 7quid, the hat plus net is about a
tenner.

Take my advice and get one or the other.

BTW it IS the 29 July to 1 August inclusive that you will be there isn't
it?

--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Andy Lawson
July 19th, 2004, 10:14 PM
"W. D. Grey" > wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> Just thought I'd remind everyone who is going camping at Cwellyn to be
> prepared for midges, I say again, MIDGES.
>
> When I camped there two years ago, we were plagued by the little
> b****rs, The best solution was to wear a head net with a wide brimmed
> hat together with a decent midge repelling lotion.
>
> I have been using the Jungle Formula sachets recently and they are very
> good and convenient. The J.F.spray/solution should be equally effective.
>
> The head nets are made by "Lifesystems" and can be bought at most good
> uotdoor equipment shops. The is one on the way from Beddgelert to
> Rhyd-Ddu called "Warws" it is on the left as you leave Beddgelert
>
> Lifesystems also make a hat with integral head net which is very good.
>
> The midge net on its own costs about 7quid, the hat plus net is about a
> tenner.
>
> Take my advice and get one or the other.
>
> BTW it IS the 29 July to 1 August inclusive that you will be there isn't
> it?
>
> --
> Bill Grey
> http://www.billboy.co.uk

Thanks for the advice Bill. If I recall, the last time we had a 'meet' there
it was later in the year. September 'ish?. There wasn't a problem with
midges at the time, but that's probably because of it being that much later
in the year. I'll certainly take my Jungle Formula with me.

Just to confirm, the very 'mini' gathering, as it's turning out to be, is
the 29th July to 1st August.

Sorry you won't be able to make it. We will miss you.

ATB,

--
Andy Lawson

Andy Lawson
July 19th, 2004, 10:14 PM
"W. D. Grey" > wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> Just thought I'd remind everyone who is going camping at Cwellyn to be
> prepared for midges, I say again, MIDGES.
>
> When I camped there two years ago, we were plagued by the little
> b****rs, The best solution was to wear a head net with a wide brimmed
> hat together with a decent midge repelling lotion.
>
> I have been using the Jungle Formula sachets recently and they are very
> good and convenient. The J.F.spray/solution should be equally effective.
>
> The head nets are made by "Lifesystems" and can be bought at most good
> uotdoor equipment shops. The is one on the way from Beddgelert to
> Rhyd-Ddu called "Warws" it is on the left as you leave Beddgelert
>
> Lifesystems also make a hat with integral head net which is very good.
>
> The midge net on its own costs about 7quid, the hat plus net is about a
> tenner.
>
> Take my advice and get one or the other.
>
> BTW it IS the 29 July to 1 August inclusive that you will be there isn't
> it?
>
> --
> Bill Grey
> http://www.billboy.co.uk

Thanks for the advice Bill. If I recall, the last time we had a 'meet' there
it was later in the year. September 'ish?. There wasn't a problem with
midges at the time, but that's probably because of it being that much later
in the year. I'll certainly take my Jungle Formula with me.

Just to confirm, the very 'mini' gathering, as it's turning out to be, is
the 29th July to 1st August.

Sorry you won't be able to make it. We will miss you.

ATB,

--
Andy Lawson

W. D. Grey
July 19th, 2004, 10:39 PM
In article >, Andy Lawson
> writes
>Just to confirm, the very 'mini' gathering, as it's turning out to be, is
>the 29th July to 1st August.
>
>Sorry you won't be able to make it. We will miss you.

I shall be thinking of you while I'm having a lie-in while my wife is
cooking my breakfast for me. :-)

Enjoy yourselves lads :-)

BTW I was at Capel Curig ten days ago over the weekend - camping of
course. I managed to have a brief phone chat with Dave while I was
walking up to Llyn Idwal.

Are you using one-man tents or the luxurious ones with room to stand up
in?
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Andy Lawson
July 20th, 2004, 01:22 PM
"W. D. Grey" > wrote in message
> In article >, Andy Lawson
> > writes
> >Just to confirm, the very 'mini' gathering, as it's turning out to be, is
> >the 29th July to 1st August.
> >
> >Sorry you won't be able to make it. We will miss you.
>
> I shall be thinking of you while I'm having a lie-in while my wife is
> cooking my breakfast for me. :-)
>
> Enjoy yourselves lads :-)
>
> BTW I was at Capel Curig ten days ago over the weekend - camping of
> course. I managed to have a brief phone chat with Dave while I was
> walking up to Llyn Idwal.
>
> Are you using one-man tents or the luxurious ones with room to stand up
> in?
> --
> Bill Grey
> http://www.billboy.co.uk

Well.... Dave has indicated that he's bringing a large tent. His family are
staying for the first night.
I have a 'dome' type tent which is definatley not a standing up inside type.
As for Alec, not sure..... Probably some ex Army type thing! ;-)

We could definatley do with a few more people and tents to make a nice ring
around the camp fire. So come on guys, any more on UKRFG up for it? - 29th
July (Thurs evening) to 1st Aug (Sun)

--
Andy Lawson

W. D. Grey
July 20th, 2004, 05:05 PM
In article >, Andy Lawson
> writes
>We could definatley do with a few more people and tents to make a nice ring
>around the camp fire. So come on guys, any more on UKRFG up for it? - 29th
>July (Thurs evening) to 1st Aug (Sun)

Dave will remember the layout at Cwellyn, behind the bunkhouse there is
a hedgebank beyond which we pitched our tents. Graham allowed us to have
a BBQ but it was the same side of the hedgebank away from the tents.

If I can I prefer to park the car next to my tent when on a site, but
this was not possible at Cwellyn which meant I couldn't leave anything
in the car that I needed - several trips were required to get all my
provisions etc to the tent..

A week or so ago at Capel Curig we had the sort of arrangement you speak
of Andy and it was great.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk