PDA

View Full Version : Magothy, 11/1/03, a few bigger ones this time

TidalFish.com
November 5th, 2003, 08:17 PM
More reports available at Tidal Fish
http://www.TidalFish.com

Rick Hold writes:
Date: 11/1/03
Time: 10 am - 5 pm
Location: Out of Ferry Pt. and upriver.
Weather: Beautiful, Sunny, light breeze, maybe 80*
Tide: Started on high water and fished a falling tide most of the day.
Water Temp/Cond: Water clarity varied from cloudy to clear with most
areas fairly clear and visibility of 2 ft. or so. Water temps 61*.
Fish Caught: 21 chain pickerel from about 10" to 23". Most were small,
but about a half dozen were 17"+. Also 4 yellow perch, a
wholebunchalotta white perch, and a small striper of about 15".

Virgil and I hit the river for our first pickerel trip together this
fall. It was a gorgeous day and even without a fish I don't think
you'd have gotten a complaint from us. We headed for some of the
fresher reaches of the river and fished various combinations of
jig/minnow.

They seemed to prefer the simple jigs today and we found for the most
part a small dart with a live minnow would tempt just about anything
in the river. Lots of action today. We put tags in 21 pickerel and
caught a mess of perch too. Virgil gets credit this trip for a
'Magothy Grand Slam' as he landed pickerel, white and yellow perch and
a striper.

Strictly catch and release today though we could have creeled a nice
white perch dinner or two or three. We fished till the sun dipped
below the tree tops then waited in line at the ramp to end this
delightful day. It's nice to see some pickerel numbers for a change.