PDA

View Full Version : Things are looking up

Ed Hughes
October 30th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Things have been really slow here the last few months ... not many bass
being caught by anyone . I haven't even had a strike in 2 months . The TPWD
is saying it's because the lakes have been turning over ..... signs of 11
and 12 " fish kills but nothing smaller or larger which they say is caused
by the raised nitrous levels created by the turn over . This weeks fronts
must have turned things around though ..... Even though it was only one fish
a day for Tuesday and Wednesday they probably would have put me in the
running in any 2 day tournament !! Tuesday was a 21" 4 Lb 7 Oz ....
Wednesday was a little better at 22" and 6 Lb 5 Oz . Looks like things might
be getting a bit better if this can keep up for a while . I sure do wish we
were running a mid week honor tournament with those 2 lunklers on my line .
Bev was not feeling well so she didn't go out with me this week and she of
course is the designated digital camera operator so I didn't get any pix ,
but I did have witnesses that were jealous .

Ed

John Kerr
October 31st, 2003, 01:15 AM
Things are picking up for sure Ed....Those are nice "sized" fish! And
you don't need a wittness, I believe ya! <g>
JK

alwaysfishking
October 31st, 2003, 11:40 AM
It's been nothing but windy and cold up here in the Mountains and the fish
are lock jawed, I haven't even really tried to go out. But this Sunday it's
suppose to warm up to about 65 degrees. That might get me out.
"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> Things are picking up for sure Ed....Those are nice "sized" fish! And
> you don't need a wittness, I believe ya! <g>
> JK

Josh
October 31st, 2003, 06:38 PM
Same here Ed until those waters got down around 51-53 degrees then they
really started hammering em. Caught a nice 4.5 lb smallie on a power worm
and several nice but smalle ones on the Green Goddess from SW. Off to give
it one last try this Sunday I think.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

RichZ
October 31st, 2003, 11:38 PM
Josh wrote:
> Off to give
> it one last try this Sunday I think.

ONE LAST TR?Y???

What is it with you people. I'm trying to work it so I can fish at least 10
or 12 days between now and Christmas, and barring any really frigid
weather, I can usually get out on open water a time or two in January as
well.

Why on earth would anyone stop for the season if the lakes aint frozen?

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 1st, 2003, 12:18 AM
"RichZ" > wrote in message ...
> Josh wrote:
> > Off to give
> > it one last try this Sunday I think.
> >

> ONE LAST TR?Y???
>
> What is it with you people. I'm trying to work it so I can fish at least 10
> or 12 days between now and Christmas, and barring any really frigid
> weather, I can usually get out on open water a time or two in January as
> well.
>
> Why on earth would anyone stop for the season if the lakes aint frozen?

I'm with you there Rich. I've fished every month up here in my boat with the exception of January.
The river is open and as long as the snow isn't too deep to get the boat through, I'm still fishing.
That's why I don't bother to winterize my boat.

But, there is one reason for stopping fishing with still unfrozen lakes.....HUNTING!
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

RichZ
November 1st, 2003, 02:06 AM
Steve wrote:
> there is one reason for stopping fishing with still unfrozen lakes.....HUNTING!

I gave it up years ago because it interfered with late season fishing. Wish I
could get my kid to give it up. I called to see if he was up for a Champlain
weekend this weekend, and he said he can't go fishing again till he kills
something. Preferably a deer and a turkey.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 1st, 2003, 03:54 AM
"RichZ" > wrote in message ...
> Steve wrote:
> > there is one reason for stopping fishing with still unfrozen lakes.....HUNTING!
> >

> I gave it up years ago because it interfered with late season fishing. Wish I
> could get my kid to give it up. I called to see if he was up for a Champlain
> weekend this weekend, and he said he can't go fishing again till he kills
> something. Preferably a deer and a turkey.

I've got the turkey already. Now I'm under orders to get a couple of deer. My kids want venison
sausage, jerky and steaks for Christmas!!! Hey, a guy can't let his kids down, can he? Besides,
I've still got guide jobs booked, so I doubt I'll be putting the boat away anytime soon.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Brad Coovert
November 1st, 2003, 03:57 AM
>ONE LAST TR?Y???
>
>What is it with you people.

Too busy fixing or selling furnaces.

Gotta make the money when it's cold.

Of course, the same holds true when it's hot.

Brad Coovert, 2003 Tournament Director, Greenfield Bassmasters
Please visit our sponsors:
http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
November 1st, 2003, 01:03 PM
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:18:24 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
> sent into the ether:

>"RichZ" > wrote in message ...
>> Josh wrote:
>> > Off to give
>> > it one last try this Sunday I think.
>> >

>> ONE LAST TR?Y???
>>
>> What is it with you people. I'm trying to work it so I can fish at least 10
>> or 12 days between now and Christmas, and barring any really frigid
>> weather, I can usually get out on open water a time or two in January as
>> well.
>>
>> Why on earth would anyone stop for the season if the lakes aint frozen?
>
>I'm with you there Rich. I've fished every month up here in my boat with the exception of January.
>The river is open and as long as the snow isn't too deep to get the boat through, I'm still fishing.
>That's why I don't bother to winterize my boat.
>
>But, there is one reason for stopping fishing with still unfrozen lakes.....HUNTING!

Steve, how is the fishing on the river at Merrill? Where and how
should I try fishing it? I would guess Walleye, Smallies and Crappies
should be the target? I found 2 launches in Merrill, one above and
one below the dam. I guess I'll have to pick up a Sportsman book for
the area. I do have an old Hot Spots book for the Rhinelander area,
maybe you could give me a little help updating it :<}

Looks like it will take an extra week for me to get things in order
before the move. I sure hope the weather holds so I can bring my boat
up this year.
danl
Good fishing, great catching
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
Remove left x for direct reply

Bob Rickard
November 1st, 2003, 06:23 PM
Hey Steve,

Don't forget to take your gun or bow this time! Haulin' those hefty critters
home just beat and gnawed to death ain't the most appetizing way to serve up
dinner.

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" > wrote in message

> "RichZ" > wrote in message
> > Steve wrote:
> > > there is one reason for stopping fishing with still unfrozen
lakes.....HUNTING!

> > I gave it up years ago because it interfered with late season fishing.
Wish I
> > could get my kid to give it up. I called to see if he was up for a
Champlain
> > weekend this weekend, and he said he can't go fishing again till he
kills
> > something. Preferably a deer and a turkey.
>
> I've got the turkey already. Now I'm under orders to get a couple of
deer. My kids want venison
> sausage, jerky and steaks for Christmas!!! Hey, a guy can't let his kids
down, can he? Besides,
> I've still got guide jobs booked, so I doubt I'll be putting the boat away
anytime soon.
> --
> Steve
> OutdoorFrontiers
> http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
> http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Josh
November 1st, 2003, 07:51 PM
Cold . . . I hate cold. Froze my paws many years ago. They just don't work
in tha cold.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 3rd, 2003, 03:03 AM
"Bob Rickard" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hey Steve,
>
> Don't forget to take your gun or bow this time! Haulin' those hefty critters
> home just beat and gnawed to death ain't the most appetizing way to serve up
> dinner.

Nah, I've killed one deer with my boat already! The stupid thing ran into the side as I was
trailering the boat down the road. Snapped it's neck clean with not a bit of damage to the boat or
the meat! Field dressed it along side the road, threw it in the back of the truck (it was too big
for the livewell), called the Sheriff's Department and met an officer for a Car Kill Tag.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 3rd, 2003, 03:05 AM
"Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now" > wrote in message <SNIP>

> Steve, how is the fishing on the river at Merrill? Where and how
> should I try fishing it? I would guess Walleye, Smallies and Crappies
> should be the target? I found 2 launches in Merrill, one above and
> one below the dam. I guess I'll have to pick up a Sportsman book for
> the area. I do have an old Hot Spots book for the Rhinelander area,
> maybe you could give me a little help updating it :<}
>
> Looks like it will take an extra week for me to get things in order
> before the move. I sure hope the weather holds so I can bring my boat
> up this year.

I haven't fished that section of the river yet, maybe now that you're there, I'll get a chance to.
I've heard that below the dam in town there's excellent smallmouth fishing, as well as walleyes.

You'll also be glad to know that you're less than 20 minutes from Lake Mohawksin, another fine
smallie lake that holds decent walleyes as well as the occasional muskie.

Welcome to more lakes than you can shake a stick at!
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Jerry \NervisRek\ Barton
November 3rd, 2003, 04:25 AM
But.....be very, very careful of BOOM !!!!!!!!!!
--
Jerry Barton
www.jerrys-world.com

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" > wrote in
message ...

> "Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now"
> wrote in message <SNIP>
>
> > Steve, how is the fishing on the river at Merrill? Where and how
> > should I try fishing it? I would guess Walleye, Smallies and
Crappies
> > should be the target? I found 2 launches in Merrill, one above
and
> > one below the dam. I guess I'll have to pick up a Sportsman book
for
> > the area. I do have an old Hot Spots book for the Rhinelander
area,
> > maybe you could give me a little help updating it :<}
> >
> > Looks like it will take an extra week for me to get things in
order
> > before the move. I sure hope the weather holds so I can bring my
boat
> > up this year.
>
> I haven't fished that section of the river yet, maybe now that
you're there, I'll get a chance to.
> I've heard that below the dam in town there's excellent smallmouth
fishing, as well as walleyes.

> You'll also be glad to know that you're less than 20 minutes from
Lake Mohawksin, another fine
> smallie lake that holds decent walleyes as well as the occasional
muskie.

> Welcome to more lakes than you can shake a stick at!
> --
> Steve
> OutdoorFrontiers
> http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
> http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
November 3rd, 2003, 12:31 PM
On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 21:05:24 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
> sent into the ether:

>"Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now" > wrote in message <SNIP>
>
>> Steve, how is the fishing on the river at Merrill? Where and how
>> should I try fishing it? I would guess Walleye, Smallies and Crappies
>> should be the target? I found 2 launches in Merrill, one above and
>> one below the dam. I guess I'll have to pick up a Sportsman book for
>> the area. I do have an old Hot Spots book for the Rhinelander area,
>> maybe you could give me a little help updating it :<}
>>
>> Looks like it will take an extra week for me to get things in order
>> before the move. I sure hope the weather holds so I can bring my boat
>> up this year.
>
>I haven't fished that section of the river yet, maybe now that you're there, I'll get a chance to.
>I've heard that below the dam in town there's excellent smallmouth fishing, as well as walleyes.
>
>You'll also be glad to know that you're less than 20 minutes from Lake Mohawksin, another fine
>smallie lake that holds decent walleyes as well as the occasional muskie.
>
>Welcome to more lakes than you can shake a stick at!

Thanks Steve, I'm not there yet. I hope to go up this weekend or
early next week to rent a place and pick up my truck. I am starting
to pack things up now.

I will have to ask around the plant about fishing.

Man I hope this works out!
danl
Good fishing, great catching
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
Remove left x for direct reply

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
November 3rd, 2003, 12:37 PM
On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 23:25:26 -0500, "Jerry \"NervisRek\" Barton"
> sent into the ether:

>But.....be very, very careful of BOOM !!!!!!!!!!

Jerry, I don't know what all the fuss is about when it comes to Boom.
I have fished lots of WI lakes and flowages that appear to be
Boom-like.

No stinkin stumps scare me and stingy waters are fun to beat :<}

I guess I'll have to fish boom and prove it has lots of fish :<}

I can't wait for the NWC! I want to meet and fish with all you guys.

danl
Good fishing, great catching
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
Remove left x for direct reply

Jerry \NervisRek\ Barton
November 3rd, 2003, 03:14 PM
Don't be fooled ole' buddy, BOOM ! doesn't give up it's fish, only
heartache and misery.

--
Jerry Barton
www.jerrys-world.com

"Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now"
> wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 23:25:26 -0500, "Jerry \"NervisRek\" Barton"
> > sent into the ether:
>
> >But.....be very, very careful of BOOM !!!!!!!!!!
>
> Jerry, I don't know what all the fuss is about when it comes to
Boom.
> I have fished lots of WI lakes and flowages that appear to be
> Boom-like.
>
> No stinkin stumps scare me and stingy waters are fun to beat :<}
>
> I guess I'll have to fish boom and prove it has lots of fish :<}
>
> I can't wait for the NWC! I want to meet and fish with all you
guys.

> danl
> Good fishing, great catching
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> Remove left x for direct reply

RGarri7470
November 3rd, 2003, 06:00 PM
>You'll also be glad to know that you're less than 20 minutes from Lake
>Mohawksin, another fine
>smallie lake that holds decent walleyes as well as the occasional muskie.
>
>Welcome to more lakes than you can shake a stick at!

Don't forget the fantastic Boom Lake!
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

RGarri7470
November 3rd, 2003, 06:02 PM
>Don't be fooled ole' buddy, BOOM ! doesn't give up it's fish, only
>heartache and misery.
>
>--
>Jerry Barton

Whatcha you talkin bout willis? I have averaged one keeper a day on Boom each
of the last 3 years fishing 4 days each year! ;)
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Bob Rickard
November 4th, 2003, 04:28 AM
There is no limit to the things this man finds available to use as weapons.
What a story your life would make, Mr. Huber!

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com
--------------------------<=x O')))><

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" > wrote in message

> "Bob Rickard" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Hey Steve,
> >
> > Don't forget to take your gun or bow this time! Haulin' those hefty
critters
> > home just beat and gnawed to death ain't the most appetizing way to
serve up
> > dinner.
>
> Nah, I've killed one deer with my boat already! The stupid thing ran into
the side as I was
> trailering the boat down the road. Snapped it's neck clean with not a bit
of damage to the boat or
> the meat! Field dressed it along side the road, threw it in the back of
the truck (it was too big
> for the livewell), called the Sheriff's Department and met an officer for
a Car Kill Tag.
> --
> Steve
> OutdoorFrontiers
> http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
> http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
November 4th, 2003, 01:05 PM
On 03 Nov 2003 18:00:13 GMT, (RGarri7470) sent into
the ether:

>>You'll also be glad to know that you're less than 20 minutes from Lake
>>Mohawksin, another fine
>>smallie lake that holds decent walleyes as well as the occasional muskie.
>>
>>Welcome to more lakes than you can shake a stick at!
>
>Don't forget the fantastic Boom Lake!
>Ronnie

>http://fishing.about.com

Ronnie, I am looking forward to fishing Boom, maybe even this year
yet. (Steve, don't let the snow build up on the launch, OK?) It
looks good on the maps, like many others in WI.
danl
Good fishing, great catching
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
Remove left x for direct reply

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 4th, 2003, 01:37 PM
"Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now" > wrote in message <SNIP>

> Ronnie, I am looking forward to fishing Boom, maybe even this year
> yet. (Steve, don't let the snow build up on the launch, OK?) It
> looks good on the maps, like many others in WI.
> danl

Too late. We had two inches of snow last night and now it's freezing rain.......
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
November 4th, 2003, 03:29 PM
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 07:37:27 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
> sent into the ether:

>"Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now" > wrote in message <SNIP>
>
>> Ronnie, I am looking forward to fishing Boom, maybe even this year
>> yet. (Steve, don't let the snow build up on the launch, OK?) It
>> looks good on the maps, like many others in WI.
>> danl
>
>Too late. We had two inches of snow last night and now it's freezing rain.......

Come on man, throw a tarp over it and get a torpedo heater going. I'm
depending on you :<}

I spose you want me to bring the winch so I can pull the truck up when
the launch is covered in frozen rain too. LOL