PDA

View Full Version : help for newbie

George
July 27th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Hi guys

I was wondering if, with your wealth of experience, you could help me. I
can't find out any tips from the books I've got.

I've been fly fishing for about a year now, and up to now have been using
one fly at a time. I was at a reservoir recently and wanted to use a dropper
as well (dry spider on point and buzzer on dropper). I tied the dropper on
about 9 inches of 3 lb co-polymer and had my point fly about 2 feet beyond
the attachment point. Every cast I made, the dropper twisted around the main
leader and my buzzer was not free.

Any tips on how to avoid this - or am I, as I suspect, just crap at it!

TIA

W. D. Grey
July 27th, 2004, 08:27 PM
In article >, George
> writes
>Hi guys
>
>I was wondering if, with your wealth of experience, you could help me. I
>can't find out any tips from the books I've got.
>
>I've been fly fishing for about a year now, and up to now have been using
>one fly at a time. I was at a reservoir recently and wanted to use a dropper
>as well (dry spider on point and buzzer on dropper). I tied the dropper on
>about 9 inches of 3 lb co-polymer and had my point fly about 2 feet beyond
>the attachment point. Every cast I made, the dropper twisted around the main
>leader and my buzzer was not free.
>
>Any tips on how to avoid this - or am I, as I suspect, just crap at it!

Tangles happen. Usually though the cause is trying too hard on the
actual cast. The false casts if any are flawless.

In your case I suggest your dropper length is too long. About 5 inches
is plenty. The dropper can be tied on to the main cast using a blood
knot, but this is not the easiest knot for a beginner to use. Try using
a four turn water knot. Let the length from the end of the line be the
actual dropper after tying.

Google for a web site with knots.

--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

laxhill
July 27th, 2004, 11:16 PM
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:32:58 +0000 (UTC), "George"
> wrote:

>Hi guys
>
>I was wondering if, with your wealth of experience, you could help me. I
>can't find out any tips from the books I've got.
>
>I've been fly fishing for about a year now, and up to now have been using
>one fly at a time. I was at a reservoir recently and wanted to use a dropper
>as well (dry spider on point and buzzer on dropper). I tied the dropper on
>about 9 inches of 3 lb co-polymer and had my point fly about 2 feet beyond
>the attachment point. Every cast I made, the dropper twisted around the main
>leader and my buzzer was not free.
>
>Any tips on how to avoid this - or am I, as I suspect, just crap at it!
>
>TIA

9" is way too long. I've used droppers as short as a couple of inches.
Make sure also that you balance the flies i.e heaviest fly on point.
If I use a buzzer on the same cast as a dry fly I put the buzzer on
the point and the dry on the dropper. That way the dry acts as a
"float" for the buzzer.
keith