PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe he ate the whole thing.

RGarri7470
November 4th, 2003, 07:17 PM
I just posted an article and a picture of a bass that had 19 pieces of plastic
worm in its stomach - many of them whole worms and lizards, and two with hooks
still in them but no line attached.. I quit throwing my used worms in the lake
years ago after cleaning a real skinny bass that had four worms inside it.
What do you do with your used plastic worms? Do you think they pose a danger
to bass?
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Brad Coovert
November 4th, 2003, 07:29 PM
>What do you do with your used plastic worms?

They stay in the boat and go in the trash after I get home.

>Do you think they pose a
>danger
>to bass?

Yes. They could clog up the fish's digestive system, though I have seen fish
pass plastic worms before.

Brad Coovert, 2003 Tournament Director, Greenfield Bassmasters
Please visit our sponsors:
http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

Chuck Coger
November 4th, 2003, 07:53 PM
I throw them in my boats ice chest.Then I melt them down and reuse them.

I know that I wouldn't personally eat plastic worms for fear they would
damage my digestive system, therefore I conclude it can't be good for bass
to attempt to digest them either.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> I just posted an article and a picture of a bass that had 19 pieces of
plastic
> worm in its stomach - many of them whole worms and lizards, and two with
hooks
> still in them but no line attached.. I quit throwing my used worms in the
lake
> years ago after cleaning a real skinny bass that had four worms inside it.
> What do you do with your used plastic worms? Do you think they pose a
danger
> to bass?
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
November 4th, 2003, 07:59 PM
On 04 Nov 2003 19:17:06 GMT, (RGarri7470) sent into
the ether:

>I just posted an article and a picture of a bass that had 19 pieces of plastic
>worm in its stomach - many of them whole worms and lizards, and two with hooks
>still in them but no line attached.. I quit throwing my used worms in the lake
>years ago after cleaning a real skinny bass that had four worms inside it.
>What do you do with your used plastic worms? Do you think they pose a danger
>to bass?
>Ronnie

>http://fishing.about.com

I keep a plastic zip-loc bag for the old plastics.
danl
Good fishing, great catching
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
Remove left x for direct reply

John Kerr
November 4th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Throwing anything in the lake that isn't found there naturally is not a
good thing....some mother-in-laws excluded <g>.
JK

Josh
November 4th, 2003, 10:24 PM
I admit that occasionally in the heat of battle I've shown one the water,
never really thought much of it as I usually always put them in a small
compartment behind my seats, but will take more care in the future. One of
the values of a group like this is to keep each of us alert and thinking.
Sometimes in my old age the brain just farts.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Thundercat
November 4th, 2003, 10:53 PM
"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
<SNIP>
> What do you do with your used plastic worms? Do you think they pose a
danger
> to bass?
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Most of my experienced plastics are sitting in the bottom of Randy's lil'
jon boat. When out fishing w/ someone else, my experienced plastics get
tucked away into a small zip lock bag that I toss into my larger tackle
suitcase.

--
Harry J. aka Thundercat
Bass fishing is NOT a hobby...

Craig
November 5th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Ronnie asked:
Q: What do you do with your used plastic worms? Do you think they pose a
danger to bass?"

A: The ones I don't lose through snags I throw away. But I often wonder how
much damage I am doing in conjunction with every other angler. Why?
Because my favorite presentation method is a 3-1/2" tubebait with a 1/8 to
1/4-ounce lead ball jig. On a typical day on the water I lose maybe a dozen
to snags. That is 12 tubes, and 1.5 to 3-ounces of lead per day, or about
1,200 tubes and 9.5 to 19-pounds of lead per season, and that is just me. I
can't even imagine or phantom how many lures and 1000s pounds of lead are
sitting on the bottom of an average public lake each year.

I think about it a lot, but I continue to use my favorite presentation,
because it is my most productive. Am I hurting our lakes for my grandkids?
I keep waiting for a safer replacement to lead, and it is not carbide,
because it contains a number of toxins and heavy metals. Possibly stainless
steel? I have a friend that Carolina rigs most of his lures using sand bags
(long pencil shape) weights. But I prefer the feel I get from a ball jig.
Come on you inventors, put your heads together and eliminate this issue.

--
Craig Baugher

Chuck Coger
November 5th, 2003, 12:50 AM
Problem is if I threw mine in, the gators wouldn't even eat her down here!
Any suggestions John;)

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> Throwing anything in the lake that isn't found there naturally is not a
> good thing....some mother-in-laws excluded <g>.
> JK

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 5th, 2003, 01:29 AM
"Craig" > wrote in message <SNIP>

> Come on you inventors, put your heads together and eliminate this issue.

Hi Craig,

The solution is already on the market. Here you go, fish and don't worry about your grandkids'
water quality.

http://www.bulletweights.com/
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Craig
November 5th, 2003, 02:18 AM
I use them! Great Bullet Sinker. I have also bee using their split shot for
some time now, but I didn't know they were made out of tin. I thought they
were lead like everybody elses. That is GREAT, all I need to do is buy some
jig hooks and then pinch on a tin split shot to create a ball jig. THANKS
STEVE!

Well, that covers me. I feel great!

--
Craig Baugher

Chuck Coger
November 5th, 2003, 03:04 AM
Not to get off of your topic, but to offer a quick side note.
Now if this fish is eating plastic worms (19 you said) that have probably
been thrown overboard. I would conclude that maybe I need to slow my
retrieve down even slower, if that is possible. Just cast it out and let it
set the entire day and see what happens, probably nothing I still think bass
can sense an angler on the other end of the line, some just feel sorry for
us and bite anyway;)

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> I just posted an article and a picture of a bass that had 19 pieces of
plastic
> worm in its stomach - many of them whole worms and lizards, and two with
hooks
> still in them but no line attached.. I quit throwing my used worms in the
lake
> years ago after cleaning a real skinny bass that had four worms inside it.
> What do you do with your used plastic worms? Do you think they pose a
danger
> to bass?
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Bob La Londe
November 5th, 2003, 03:05 AM
I don't fish a jig much, but I have gotten to really like tungsten bullet
weights.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

"Craig" > wrote in message
> Ronnie asked:
> Q: What do you do with your used plastic worms? Do you think they pose a
> danger to bass?"
>
> A: The ones I don't lose through snags I throw away. But I often wonder
how
> much damage I am doing in conjunction with every other angler. Why?
> Because my favorite presentation method is a 3-1/2" tubebait with a 1/8 to
> 1/4-ounce lead ball jig. On a typical day on the water I lose maybe a
dozen
> to snags. That is 12 tubes, and 1.5 to 3-ounces of lead per day, or about
> 1,200 tubes and 9.5 to 19-pounds of lead per season, and that is just me.
> can't even imagine or phantom how many lures and 1000s pounds of lead are
> sitting on the bottom of an average public lake each year.
>
> I think about it a lot, but I continue to use my favorite presentation,
> because it is my most productive. Am I hurting our lakes for my
grandkids?
> I keep waiting for a safer replacement to lead, and it is not carbide,
> because it contains a number of toxins and heavy metals. Possibly
stainless
> steel? I have a friend that Carolina rigs most of his lures using sand
bags
> (long pencil shape) weights. But I prefer the feel I get from a ball jig.
> Come on you inventors, put your heads together and eliminate this issue.
>

> --
> Craig Baugher

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 5th, 2003, 04:23 AM
"Craig" > wrote in message ...
> I use them! Great Bullet Sinker. I have also bee using their split shot for
> some time now, but I didn't know they were made out of tin. I thought they
> were lead like everybody elses. That is GREAT, all I need to do is buy some
> jig hooks and then pinch on a tin split shot to create a ball jig. THANKS
> STEVE!
>
> Well, that covers me. I feel great!

Actually Craig, they have a line of VERY unique interchangeable jigs. I saw them at ICAST in Vegas
and it's an interesting system.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

alwaysfishking
November 5th, 2003, 10:20 AM
I really didn't think about it either, yes, I'm guilty of throwing a few
here and there, but as Harry posted most are in the bottom of my boat, get
collected eventually and are given to the kids to play with, which in turn
wind up scattered on the floor and sucked up by the shop vac at the hands of
my wife.... any ill effects on the digestive system of a shop vac? That
remains to be seen.
But seriously, I lose enough senkos and such flying off the hook when doing
battle with the pretty little green things, so I guess I will make an extra
effort not to throw any that don't need to be thrown from now on. Thanks
Ronnie.

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
m...
> Not to get off of your topic, but to offer a quick side note.
> Now if this fish is eating plastic worms (19 you said) that have probably
> been thrown overboard. I would conclude that maybe I need to slow my
> retrieve down even slower, if that is possible. Just cast it out and let
it
> set the entire day and see what happens, probably nothing I still think
bass
> can sense an angler on the other end of the line, some just feel sorry for
> us and bite anyway;)
>
> ---
> Chuck Coger
> http://www.fishin-pro.com
>

> "RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> > I just posted an article and a picture of a bass that had 19 pieces of
> plastic
> > worm in its stomach - many of them whole worms and lizards, and two with
> hooks
> > still in them but no line attached.. I quit throwing my used worms in
the
> lake
> > years ago after cleaning a real skinny bass that had four worms inside
it.
> > What do you do with your used plastic worms? Do you think they pose a
> danger
> > to bass?
> > Ronnie
> >
> > http://fishing.about.com

Dark Knight
November 5th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Morning Craig,

Although lead is not the poison that many environmentalists would like us to
believe, it is a toxin that we could do with less of in our water systems.
I'd urge you to check out www.cotee.com and take a look at their non-lead
jigheads. Using a combination of steel, bismuth, tin, silver, and some
other materials, the head size isn't as huge as is often the case, and the
product is rather well made.

DK

"Craig" > wrote in message
> Ronnie asked:
> Q: What do you do with your used plastic worms? Do you think they pose a
> danger to bass?"
>
> A: The ones I don't lose through snags I throw away. But I often wonder
how
> much damage I am doing in conjunction with every other angler. Why?
> Because my favorite presentation method is a 3-1/2" tubebait with a 1/8 to
> 1/4-ounce lead ball jig. On a typical day on the water I lose maybe a
dozen
> to snags. That is 12 tubes, and 1.5 to 3-ounces of lead per day, or about
> 1,200 tubes and 9.5 to 19-pounds of lead per season, and that is just me.
> can't even imagine or phantom how many lures and 1000s pounds of lead are
> sitting on the bottom of an average public lake each year.
>
> I think about it a lot, but I continue to use my favorite presentation,
> because it is my most productive. Am I hurting our lakes for my
grandkids?
> I keep waiting for a safer replacement to lead, and it is not carbide,
> because it contains a number of toxins and heavy metals. Possibly
stainless
> steel? I have a friend that Carolina rigs most of his lures using sand
bags
> (long pencil shape) weights. But I prefer the feel I get from a ball jig.
> Come on you inventors, put your heads together and eliminate this issue.
>

> --
> Craig Baugher

Chuck Coger
November 5th, 2003, 05:55 PM
I have some of the cotee's my only complaint is I wished they used better
hooks. They tend to straighten out on me.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"Dark Knight" > wrote in message
> Morning Craig,
>
> Although lead is not the poison that many environmentalists would like us
> believe, it is a toxin that we could do with less of in our water systems.
> I'd urge you to check out www.cotee.com and take a look at their non-lead
> jigheads. Using a combination of steel, bismuth, tin, silver, and some
> other materials, the head size isn't as huge as is often the case, and the
> product is rather well made.
>
> DK
>
> "Craig" > wrote in message
> > Ronnie asked:
> > Q: What do you do with your used plastic worms? Do you think they pose
> > danger to bass?"
> >
> > A: The ones I don't lose through snags I throw away. But I often wonder
> how
> > much damage I am doing in conjunction with every other angler. Why?
> > Because my favorite presentation method is a 3-1/2" tubebait with a 1/8
> > 1/4-ounce lead ball jig. On a typical day on the water I lose maybe a
> dozen
> > to snags. That is 12 tubes, and 1.5 to 3-ounces of lead per day, or
about
> > 1,200 tubes and 9.5 to 19-pounds of lead per season, and that is just
me.
> > can't even imagine or phantom how many lures and 1000s pounds of lead
are
> > sitting on the bottom of an average public lake each year.
> >
> > I think about it a lot, but I continue to use my favorite presentation,
> > because it is my most productive. Am I hurting our lakes for my
> grandkids?
> > I keep waiting for a safer replacement to lead, and it is not carbide,
> > because it contains a number of toxins and heavy metals. Possibly
> stainless
> > steel? I have a friend that Carolina rigs most of his lures using sand
> bags
> > (long pencil shape) weights. But I prefer the feel I get from a ball
jig.
> > Come on you inventors, put your heads together and eliminate this issue.
> >

> > --
> > Craig Baugher

Bob Rickard
November 5th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Hmmm . . . 19 worms . . . still inside the tummy . . . taking up space . . .
what an easy way to lose weight! Gotta go now . . . hmmm . . . a plastic
lunch . . .

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
m...
> Not to get off of your topic, but to offer a quick side note.
> Now if this fish is eating plastic worms (19 you said) that have probably
> been thrown overboard. I would conclude that maybe I need to slow my
> retrieve down even slower, if that is possible. Just cast it out and let
it
> set the entire day and see what happens, probably nothing I still think
bass
> can sense an angler on the other end of the line, some just feel sorry for
> us and bite anyway;)
>
> ---
> Chuck Coger
> http://www.fishin-pro.com
>

> "RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> > I just posted an article and a picture of a bass that had 19 pieces of
> plastic
> > worm in its stomach - many of them whole worms and lizards, and two with
> hooks
> > still in them but no line attached.. I quit throwing my used worms in
the
> lake
> > years ago after cleaning a real skinny bass that had four worms inside
it.
> > What do you do with your used plastic worms? Do you think they pose a
> danger
> > to bass?
> > Ronnie
> >
> > http://fishing.about.com

Josh
November 5th, 2003, 07:00 PM
+ I've moved from traditional tube jigs to texas rigging them. Less hook ups
and those new texposer 1/0 fit perfectly.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

John Kerr
November 5th, 2003, 11:48 PM
Re: Can't believe he ate the whole thing.

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Wed, Nov 5, 2003, 12:50am (CST+6)
From: (Chuck=A0Coger)
Problem is if I threw mine in, the gators wouldn't even eat her down
here! Any suggestions John;)
---
Chuck Coger
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Nope, no "good" suggestions:). Actually, I have had some great
mother-in-laws, one of them even liked to go fishing wih me! It's
getting their daughters "on board" that has been my problem <g>!
JK

Brad Coovert
November 6th, 2003, 01:10 AM
>Hmmm . . . 19 worms . . . still inside the tummy . . . taking up space . . .
>what an easy way to lose weight! Gotta go now . . . hmmm . . . a plastic
>lunch . . .

Watch out for the salted ones, high sodium content and all that.

Brad Coovert, 2003 Tournament Director, Greenfield Bassmasters
Please visit our sponsors:
http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

Bob Rickard
November 6th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the warning, Brad.

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"Brad Coovert" > wrote in message
> >Hmmm . . . 19 worms . . . still inside the tummy . . . taking up space .
.. .
> >what an easy way to lose weight! Gotta go now . . . hmmm . . . a plastic
> >lunch . . .
>
> Watch out for the salted ones, high sodium content and all that.
>

> Brad Coovert, 2003 Tournament Director, Greenfield Bassmasters
> Please visit our sponsors:
> http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

TNBass
November 7th, 2003, 02:12 AM
The same thing was true of a monster bass caught at one of the Village Creek
Park lakes in Arkansas a few years back. There are a few lunkers in those
lakes that have been hooked and broken off a bunch of times, and they
probably all have a bad case of the worms.
--
TNBass
---