PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a disappointing, 40 bass day?

RichZ
August 1st, 2004, 01:13 PM
I must be getting jaded. I came off the water yesterday feeling
disappointed. No lunkers and it wasn't Champlain.

I got to the Mudge at 5:10, but Frank wasn't going to show up until 6:15,
so I zipped out to the end of the pads and threw a 5.75" Fin-S Fish in
around the thinner pads. Caught 5 in about a half hour, then fished my way
back toward the ramp to pick up half-day-Frank. We got another few on the
way back through that area, and then started to hit the usual prime spots.
We couldn't get bit on the standard fare along the bottom (T-rigged worms
and creature baits) but the soft jerk bait bite continued sporadically
around the edges of the pads and the drop shot was getting bit in deeper
water, so we managed to get 15 bass or so by the time I had to take Frank
back to the ramp at 11:30. Problem was, other than a big pickerel that
Frank caught on the DS rig, only a handful of these fish even approached
the 2 pound mark. Naturally, we fished the pads headed back in. The fish in
the pads were really on strong then, and we got 6 more on the Fin-S Fish
between the two of us, just boogeying through with the electric on high.
Best one of the morning came from the pads a cast or two off the ramp, but
even that was nothing to write home about.

After I dropped off Frank, I caught another 3 on my way out of the pads.
Probably should have taken my time and fished it more thoroughly while the
fish were on. Instead I went out and worked hard in the wind for another 8
fish on the drop shot rig. Never did catch any of the deep weedline fish on
bigger plastics that usually make up the bulk of the catch this time of the
year.

The final tally for the day included more than 40 bass between the two of
us. But probably only 6 or 7 of them were over a pound and a half and there
was no pig in the mix, so it amounted to a disappointing 40 bass day.
Didn't know there could be such a thing. I guess I've been spoiled fishing
Champlain so much this season.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

alwaysfishking
August 1st, 2004, 01:52 PM
I don't know about a disapointing 40 bass day, but I do know what you mean.
I have days when I go out and catch fish but not really anything I even want
to break the camera out for, and this is coming from someone who has well
over 60% of all his bass on digital media. Don't know what I'll ever do with
it all but last count had pictures of over 600 bass. So yeah I guess you do
get kinda spoiled when you consistently hit fish, then just pull a bunch
that just don't compare. Thanks for the post Rich, you gave me something to
think about.

Regards

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> I must be getting jaded. I came off the water yesterday feeling
> disappointed. No lunkers and it wasn't Champlain.
>
> I got to the Mudge at 5:10, but Frank wasn't going to show up until 6:15,
> so I zipped out to the end of the pads and threw a 5.75" Fin-S Fish in
> around the thinner pads. Caught 5 in about a half hour, then fished my way
> back toward the ramp to pick up half-day-Frank. We got another few on the
> way back through that area, and then started to hit the usual prime spots.
> We couldn't get bit on the standard fare along the bottom (T-rigged worms
> and creature baits) but the soft jerk bait bite continued sporadically
> around the edges of the pads and the drop shot was getting bit in deeper
> water, so we managed to get 15 bass or so by the time I had to take Frank
> back to the ramp at 11:30. Problem was, other than a big pickerel that
> Frank caught on the DS rig, only a handful of these fish even approached
> the 2 pound mark. Naturally, we fished the pads headed back in. The fish
in
> the pads were really on strong then, and we got 6 more on the Fin-S Fish
> between the two of us, just boogeying through with the electric on high.
> Best one of the morning came from the pads a cast or two off the ramp, but
> even that was nothing to write home about.
>
> After I dropped off Frank, I caught another 3 on my way out of the pads.
> Probably should have taken my time and fished it more thoroughly while the
> fish were on. Instead I went out and worked hard in the wind for another 8
> fish on the drop shot rig. Never did catch any of the deep weedline fish
on
> bigger plastics that usually make up the bulk of the catch this time of
the
> year.
>
> The final tally for the day included more than 40 bass between the two of
> us. But probably only 6 or 7 of them were over a pound and a half and
there
> was no pig in the mix, so it amounted to a disappointing 40 bass day.
> Didn't know there could be such a thing. I guess I've been spoiled fishing
> Champlain so much this season.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

dvito
August 1st, 2004, 03:22 PM
I can't believe what I'm reading.
Just remember the days when just one of those dinks would put a smile on
your face because you can't buy a bite.
Rich I give you a Big NP for that post.

Dave V

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> I must be getting jaded. I came off the water yesterday feeling
> disappointed. No lunkers and it wasn't Champlain.
>
> I got to the Mudge at 5:10, but Frank wasn't going to show up until 6:15,
> so I zipped out to the end of the pads and threw a 5.75" Fin-S Fish in
> around the thinner pads. Caught 5 in about a half hour, then fished my way
> back toward the ramp to pick up half-day-Frank. We got another few on the
> way back through that area, and then started to hit the usual prime spots.
> We couldn't get bit on the standard fare along the bottom (T-rigged worms
> and creature baits) but the soft jerk bait bite continued sporadically
> around the edges of the pads and the drop shot was getting bit in deeper
> water, so we managed to get 15 bass or so by the time I had to take Frank
> back to the ramp at 11:30. Problem was, other than a big pickerel that
> Frank caught on the DS rig, only a handful of these fish even approached
> the 2 pound mark. Naturally, we fished the pads headed back in. The fish
in
> the pads were really on strong then, and we got 6 more on the Fin-S Fish
> between the two of us, just boogeying through with the electric on high.
> Best one of the morning came from the pads a cast or two off the ramp, but
> even that was nothing to write home about.
>
> After I dropped off Frank, I caught another 3 on my way out of the pads.
> Probably should have taken my time and fished it more thoroughly while the
> fish were on. Instead I went out and worked hard in the wind for another 8
> fish on the drop shot rig. Never did catch any of the deep weedline fish
on
> bigger plastics that usually make up the bulk of the catch this time of
the
> year.
>
> The final tally for the day included more than 40 bass between the two of
> us. But probably only 6 or 7 of them were over a pound and a half and
there
> was no pig in the mix, so it amounted to a disappointing 40 bass day.
> Didn't know there could be such a thing. I guess I've been spoiled fishing
> Champlain so much this season.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

Brad Coovert
August 1st, 2004, 03:30 PM
A 40 fish day, darn the luck.

Heck, I'd take 40 dinks any day, except for a tourney, then 39 dinks and a 1
keeper would be OK as long as it was fun.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Brad Coovert
August 1st, 2004, 03:30 PM
A 40 fish day, darn the luck.

Heck, I'd take 40 dinks any day, except for a tourney, then 39 dinks and a 1
keeper would be OK as long as it was fun.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

go-bassn
August 1st, 2004, 06:14 PM
You're kidding, right Rich?

Geeze...

Warren

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> I must be getting jaded. I came off the water yesterday feeling
> disappointed. No lunkers and it wasn't Champlain.
>
> I got to the Mudge at 5:10, but Frank wasn't going to show up until 6:15,
> so I zipped out to the end of the pads and threw a 5.75" Fin-S Fish in
> around the thinner pads. Caught 5 in about a half hour, then fished my way
> back toward the ramp to pick up half-day-Frank. We got another few on the
> way back through that area, and then started to hit the usual prime spots.
> We couldn't get bit on the standard fare along the bottom (T-rigged worms
> and creature baits) but the soft jerk bait bite continued sporadically
> around the edges of the pads and the drop shot was getting bit in deeper
> water, so we managed to get 15 bass or so by the time I had to take Frank
> back to the ramp at 11:30. Problem was, other than a big pickerel that
> Frank caught on the DS rig, only a handful of these fish even approached
> the 2 pound mark. Naturally, we fished the pads headed back in. The fish
in
> the pads were really on strong then, and we got 6 more on the Fin-S Fish
> between the two of us, just boogeying through with the electric on high.
> Best one of the morning came from the pads a cast or two off the ramp, but
> even that was nothing to write home about.
>
> After I dropped off Frank, I caught another 3 on my way out of the pads.
> Probably should have taken my time and fished it more thoroughly while the
> fish were on. Instead I went out and worked hard in the wind for another 8
> fish on the drop shot rig. Never did catch any of the deep weedline fish
on
> bigger plastics that usually make up the bulk of the catch this time of
the
> year.
>
> The final tally for the day included more than 40 bass between the two of
> us. But probably only 6 or 7 of them were over a pound and a half and
there
> was no pig in the mix, so it amounted to a disappointing 40 bass day.
> Didn't know there could be such a thing. I guess I've been spoiled fishing
> Champlain so much this season.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

go-bassn
August 1st, 2004, 06:14 PM
You're kidding, right Rich?

Geeze...

Warren

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> I must be getting jaded. I came off the water yesterday feeling
> disappointed. No lunkers and it wasn't Champlain.
>
> I got to the Mudge at 5:10, but Frank wasn't going to show up until 6:15,
> so I zipped out to the end of the pads and threw a 5.75" Fin-S Fish in
> around the thinner pads. Caught 5 in about a half hour, then fished my way
> back toward the ramp to pick up half-day-Frank. We got another few on the
> way back through that area, and then started to hit the usual prime spots.
> We couldn't get bit on the standard fare along the bottom (T-rigged worms
> and creature baits) but the soft jerk bait bite continued sporadically
> around the edges of the pads and the drop shot was getting bit in deeper
> water, so we managed to get 15 bass or so by the time I had to take Frank
> back to the ramp at 11:30. Problem was, other than a big pickerel that
> Frank caught on the DS rig, only a handful of these fish even approached
> the 2 pound mark. Naturally, we fished the pads headed back in. The fish
in
> the pads were really on strong then, and we got 6 more on the Fin-S Fish
> between the two of us, just boogeying through with the electric on high.
> Best one of the morning came from the pads a cast or two off the ramp, but
> even that was nothing to write home about.
>
> After I dropped off Frank, I caught another 3 on my way out of the pads.
> Probably should have taken my time and fished it more thoroughly while the
> fish were on. Instead I went out and worked hard in the wind for another 8
> fish on the drop shot rig. Never did catch any of the deep weedline fish
on
> bigger plastics that usually make up the bulk of the catch this time of
the
> year.
>
> The final tally for the day included more than 40 bass between the two of
> us. But probably only 6 or 7 of them were over a pound and a half and
there
> was no pig in the mix, so it amounted to a disappointing 40 bass day.
> Didn't know there could be such a thing. I guess I've been spoiled fishing
> Champlain so much this season.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

Bob La Londe
August 1st, 2004, 06:23 PM
I know I have had days when every fish was between 1.3 and 1.5 lbs. In the
spring Hammer and I fished a tournament like that. We fished every type of
way we could think of and every fish we caugth was the same size. It was to
the point were we weren't even picking up the net. We just swung them in
the boat, and we tried to shake them off the line before they got that far.
I'ld guess we actually boated 30 or 40 fish, and shook off another dozen or
more. That doesn't even count the few dinks. On the flip side, I'ld rather
haeva day like that than a day where I have to struggle to boat a limit.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> I must be getting jaded. I came off the water yesterday feeling
> disappointed. No lunkers and it wasn't Champlain.
>
> I got to the Mudge at 5:10, but Frank wasn't going to show up until 6:15,
> so I zipped out to the end of the pads and threw a 5.75" Fin-S Fish in
> around the thinner pads. Caught 5 in about a half hour, then fished my way
> back toward the ramp to pick up half-day-Frank. We got another few on the
> way back through that area, and then started to hit the usual prime spots.
> We couldn't get bit on the standard fare along the bottom (T-rigged worms
> and creature baits) but the soft jerk bait bite continued sporadically
> around the edges of the pads and the drop shot was getting bit in deeper
> water, so we managed to get 15 bass or so by the time I had to take Frank
> back to the ramp at 11:30. Problem was, other than a big pickerel that
> Frank caught on the DS rig, only a handful of these fish even approached
> the 2 pound mark. Naturally, we fished the pads headed back in. The fish
in
> the pads were really on strong then, and we got 6 more on the Fin-S Fish
> between the two of us, just boogeying through with the electric on high.
> Best one of the morning came from the pads a cast or two off the ramp, but
> even that was nothing to write home about.
>
> After I dropped off Frank, I caught another 3 on my way out of the pads.
> Probably should have taken my time and fished it more thoroughly while the
> fish were on. Instead I went out and worked hard in the wind for another 8
> fish on the drop shot rig. Never did catch any of the deep weedline fish
on
> bigger plastics that usually make up the bulk of the catch this time of
the
> year.
>
> The final tally for the day included more than 40 bass between the two of
> us. But probably only 6 or 7 of them were over a pound and a half and
there
> was no pig in the mix, so it amounted to a disappointing 40 bass day.
> Didn't know there could be such a thing. I guess I've been spoiled fishing
> Champlain so much this season.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

Calif Bill
August 7th, 2004, 07:57 PM
"RichZ" > wrote in message
> I must be getting jaded. I came off the water yesterday feeling
> disappointed. No lunkers and it wasn't Champlain.
>
> I got to the Mudge at 5:10, but Frank wasn't going to show up until 6:15,
> so I zipped out to the end of the pads and threw a 5.75" Fin-S Fish in
> around the thinner pads. Caught 5 in about a half hour, then fished my way
> back toward the ramp to pick up half-day-Frank. We got another few on the
> way back through that area, and then started to hit the usual prime spots.
> We couldn't get bit on the standard fare along the bottom (T-rigged worms
> and creature baits) but the soft jerk bait bite continued sporadically
> around the edges of the pads and the drop shot was getting bit in deeper
> water, so we managed to get 15 bass or so by the time I had to take Frank
> back to the ramp at 11:30. Problem was, other than a big pickerel that
> Frank caught on the DS rig, only a handful of these fish even approached
> the 2 pound mark. Naturally, we fished the pads headed back in. The fish
in
> the pads were really on strong then, and we got 6 more on the Fin-S Fish
> between the two of us, just boogeying through with the electric on high.
> Best one of the morning came from the pads a cast or two off the ramp, but
> even that was nothing to write home about.
>
> After I dropped off Frank, I caught another 3 on my way out of the pads.
> Probably should have taken my time and fished it more thoroughly while the
> fish were on. Instead I went out and worked hard in the wind for another 8
> fish on the drop shot rig. Never did catch any of the deep weedline fish
on
> bigger plastics that usually make up the bulk of the catch this time of
the
> year.
>
> The final tally for the day included more than 40 bass between the two of
> us. But probably only 6 or 7 of them were over a pound and a half and
there
> was no pig in the mix, so it amounted to a disappointing 40 bass day.
> Didn't know there could be such a thing. I guess I've been spoiled fishing
> Champlain so much this season.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

It is a sad commentary when success of a day of recreational fishing hinges
on catching numbers of large fish. I have had days where I enjoyed myself
greatly, and caught few or no fish. Last week, I took a 1 day tuna trip out
of San Diego. One Yellow Fin Tuna (small, about 15#) for the trip. Still
considered it a good trip. Made a couple of new friends, and the crew on
the boat was one of the better ones.
Bill