PDA

View Full Version : Cwellyn Gathering 2004

W. D. Grey
August 1st, 2004, 01:42 PM
Hi folks, seeing as I'm first home, Ill draw up a brief report on this
year's gathering at Cwellyn.

Andy has been pleading with people to turn up this year, and I was
tempted but told him I wouldn't be coming (liar that I am).
I arrived at about 14.45 on Thursday afternoon, set up my tent and sat
to wait for further arrivals. A short while later a car pulling a small
trailer appeared and the driver took a long hard unbelieving look and
said "Hey it's Bill" Dave Lane had arrived from Bethesda. His wife
Sal and daughter Catherine were with him - to help with pitching his
baronial tent.

Dave was eventually sorted and Sal left with Catherine. Dave and I
erected the very large tent with umpteen guy ropes then settled down to
await Alec and Andy.

I can't remember the wxact time, but it wasn't long before Andy arrived
with Alec and I was greeted with the comment - "You're not supposed to
be here!" My ploy had convinced Andy that I wasn't coming :-)

We spent the evening messing about with Dave's Barbeque and generally
chatting.

The serious stuff started on Friday. Alec and I opted to bank fish Llynn
Cwellyn while Dave and Andy went to Llyn Nantlle for some boat fishing.
The engine had been booked by someone else, so they had to use the oars
and row. Alec and I had a long trudge through the forestry track to a
spot where we could get access to the lake. The spot was idyllic -
crystal clear water and crushed slate to walk on, but unfortunately no
fish.

Dave and Andy had a better morning with Andy netting two roach while
Dave caught two brownies one of which was returned undersize. Dave and
Alec swapped places in the afternoon while Andy and I then went to
Beddgelert to do some shopping. Andy and I took a look at Llyn Dywarchen
which was my proposed venue for Saturday. We picked up Alec and Dave at
Nantlle later and then returned to camp.

The evening was spent trying to avoid midges, and enjoying an excellent
barbecue of spare ribs, chicken sausages etc. It was a noisy night with
two groups of youngsters kicking up a row till the small hours, then one
group leaving noisily at 05.30 for a walking tour.

I decided to leave at this point, so after breakfast I packed up and
headed for home.

It was a great couple of days spent with very good company. For those
who didn't make the trip - you missed a good-un!

Reg - you were very much missed, a great pity.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk