PDA

View Full Version : Cable Steering Question

Chuck Coger
November 5th, 2003, 02:54 AM
I have isolated my issue down to a single stuck cable rather than an entire
new system that was proposed to me.
Has anyone ever had a cable that was siezed and successfully freed it? and
if so what are the methods for doing freeing the cable up?

Thanks

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

Calif Bill
November 5th, 2003, 04:23 AM
If you can get the cable out, jsut replace it.
http://www.go2marine.com/g2m/action/ViewSkuList/categoryId/11570/
Was about 1/2 the price at other places. Morse and Teleflex are the same
company now. If you have red cables there are numbers on the cable that
tell what the cable is. Length and ends.
Bill

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
m...
> I have isolated my issue down to a single stuck cable rather than an
entire
> new system that was proposed to me.
> Has anyone ever had a cable that was siezed and successfully freed it? and
> if so what are the methods for doing freeing the cable up?
>
> Thanks
>
> ---
> Chuck Coger
> http://www.fishin-pro.com

Chuck Coger
November 5th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Thanks Bill, its out of the boat and I have it stewing in some penetrating
oil right now hoping that will free the cable. I have the Teleflex Dual Rack
and Pinion system and the cheapest I have found a cable was for 109.00. I
really trying to avaid having to pay anything to get it working again,
anything short of driving with a single cable that is.

I had just heard of other people getting them free, but have yet to come
across some one that actually has.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
.net...
> If you can get the cable out, jsut replace it.
> http://www.go2marine.com/g2m/action/ViewSkuList/categoryId/11570/
> Was about 1/2 the price at other places. Morse and Teleflex are the same
> company now. If you have red cables there are numbers on the cable that
> tell what the cable is. Length and ends.
> Bill
>
> "Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
> m...
> > I have isolated my issue down to a single stuck cable rather than an
> entire
> > new system that was proposed to me.
> > Has anyone ever had a cable that was siezed and successfully freed it?
and
> > if so what are the methods for doing freeing the cable up?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > ---
> > Chuck Coger
> > http://www.fishin-pro.com

RichZ
November 5th, 2003, 05:31 AM
I managed to free one once, but it broke within like two trips of getting
it free. To fee it, I "hung" it vertically, and kept squirting it with a
penetrating oil that is WAY more mentrant than oil.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Todd Copeland
November 5th, 2003, 11:58 AM
I had that happen once. I sprayed lubricant on the cable where it net the
wheel and also the engine. It then took a _very_ strong turn of the wheel to
free it. Worked just fine after that. Of course I correctly lubricated the
cable with grease. I figured the grease ran out near the wheel or engine and
the oil lubricant freed it up again. I'm guessing but I'd say the chance
that you can free it and that it works fine afterward depends on where it's
sticking (the ends or the middle).

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
m...
> I have isolated my issue down to a single stuck cable rather than an
entire
> new system that was proposed to me.
> Has anyone ever had a cable that was siezed and successfully freed it? and
> if so what are the methods for doing freeing the cable up?

Illinois Fisherman
November 5th, 2003, 01:51 PM
I have included this link to the best boat fix-it site I know on the net. Go
to Free Forums, Login, and continue. These people are really good in
answering your questions on just about anything related to boating. Most are
working professionals in the Marine industry. They have helped me through
some tough problems in the past.

http://www.boatdoctor.com/

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
m...
> I have isolated my issue down to a single stuck cable rather than an
entire
> new system that was proposed to me.
> Has anyone ever had a cable that was siezed and successfully freed it? and
> if so what are the methods for doing freeing the cable up?
>
> Thanks
>
> ---
> Chuck Coger
> http://www.fishin-pro.com

Doc \(The Tin Boat King\)
November 5th, 2003, 07:50 PM
I have a tool made for unsticking & lubing motorcycle cables. E-mail me you home address and I'll send it to you. Bill P.
"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message m...
I have isolated my issue down to a single stuck cable rather than an entire
new system that was proposed to me.
Has anyone ever had a cable that was siezed and successfully freed it? and
if so what are the methods for doing freeing the cable up?

Thanks

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

Eric Ryder
November 7th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Chuck, my boat has Teleflex dual rack as well. One of the cables
chronically seizes due to a high angle entry into the hull. I've extended
the service life on it (in addition to two replacements so far) by cutting
the sheathing away and injecting a motorcycle lube containing teflon into
the core. I don't have the product name for you, but I bought it at a cycle
shop (think it's made for cycle cables) and came in a ~2 oz bottle with a
hypodermic applicator. Don't forget to wipe with solvent and reseal the
cable.

. ..