PDA

View Full Version : Need Bass bait help!

Tom
August 1st, 2004, 08:26 PM
I'm as novice as they get at bass fishing. I remember using earthworms as a
kid with very good results. Now I'm taking my young son fishing for the same
experience I had 30 years ago. I'm thinking of using earthworms again. Is
this my best choice? Are there lures I should strongly consider as well?
Does it depend on the lake or other factors? What about small-mouth vs
large-mouth? Also, I'm thinking of using steel leaders and a lead weight
about 3 feet above the hook without any float. Am I goofy going with this
setup?

Any help would be appreciated. This will be my son's first fishing
experience and I'm trying to make it a very positive and memorable
experience.

Thanks,
Tom

Thundercat
August 1st, 2004, 09:56 PM
On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:26:55 GMT, "Tom" >
wrote:

>I'm as novice as they get at bass fishing. I remember using earthworms as a
>kid with very good results. Now I'm taking my young son fishing for the same
>experience I had 30 years ago. I'm thinking of using earthworms again. Is
>this my best choice? Are there lures I should strongly consider as well?
>Does it depend on the lake or other factors? What about small-mouth vs
>large-mouth? Also, I'm thinking of using steel leaders and a lead weight
>about 3 feet above the hook without any float. Am I goofy going with this
>setup?
>
>Any help would be appreciated. This will be my son's first fishing
>experience and I'm trying to make it a very positive and memorable
>experience.
>
>Thanks,
>Tom

I don't know much about the ponds or lakes in your area (Detroit
area?) but a few folks in here surely will. A lot of the
recommendations that we could give you will depend a lot on what
exactly you hope to accomplish. Do you want to target just bass or do
you just want to get your son catching anything that will bite? That
is probably the most important question. How old is your son and how
is his attention span?

Harry J aka Thundercat
Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
http://www.geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/products.html
Share the knowledge, compete on execution.

wrote:

>I'm as novice as they get at bass fishing. I remember using earthworms as a
>kid with very good results. Now I'm taking my young son fishing for the same
>experience I had 30 years ago. I'm thinking of using earthworms again. Is
>this my best choice? Are there lures I should strongly consider as well?
>Does it depend on the lake or other factors? What about small-mouth vs
>large-mouth? Also, I'm thinking of using steel leaders and a lead weight
>about 3 feet above the hook without any float. Am I goofy going with this
>setup?
>
>Any help would be appreciated. This will be my son's first fishing
>experience and I'm trying to make it a very positive and memorable
>experience.
>
>Thanks,
>Tom

I don't know much about the ponds or lakes in your area (Detroit
area?) but a few folks in here surely will. A lot of the
recommendations that we could give you will depend a lot on what
exactly you hope to accomplish. Do you want to target just bass or do
you just want to get your son catching anything that will bite? That
is probably the most important question. How old is your son and how
is his attention span?

Harry J aka Thundercat
Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
http://www.geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/products.html
Share the knowledge, compete on execution.

Dominic Chin
August 1st, 2004, 09:58 PM
I would go with Shiners......run about 4ft of line between shiner and
bobber. This will produce if there is bass in the water.

"Tom" > wrote in message
> I'm as novice as they get at bass fishing. I remember using earthworms as
> kid with very good results. Now I'm taking my young son fishing for the
same
> experience I had 30 years ago. I'm thinking of using earthworms again.
Is
> this my best choice? Are there lures I should strongly consider as well?
> Does it depend on the lake or other factors? What about small-mouth vs
> large-mouth? Also, I'm thinking of using steel leaders and a lead weight
> about 3 feet above the hook without any float. Am I goofy going with this
> setup?
>
> Any help would be appreciated. This will be my son's first fishing
> experience and I'm trying to make it a very positive and memorable
> experience.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Rich Pierro
August 1st, 2004, 10:53 PM
I suggest finding out how to hook a ton of pan-fish in your area and getting
him into fishing that way. If you fish for bass and get nothing you will
turn him off to fishing, but if you go after sunnies, you can whack them all
day and have a blast. Then, next time you say the word "fishing", his eyes
will light up.

Rich P

"Dominic Chin" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > I'm as novice as they get at bass fishing. I remember using earthworms
as
> > kid with very good results. Now I'm taking my young son fishing for the
> same
> > experience I had 30 years ago. I'm thinking of using earthworms again.
> Is
> > this my best choice? Are there lures I should strongly consider as
well?
> > Does it depend on the lake or other factors? What about small-mouth vs
> > large-mouth? Also, I'm thinking of using steel leaders and a lead weight
> > about 3 feet above the hook without any float. Am I goofy going with
this
> > setup?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated. This will be my son's first fishing
> > experience and I'm trying to make it a very positive and memorable

John Kerr
August 2nd, 2004, 02:00 AM
Re: Need Bass bait help!

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Sun, Aug 1, 2004, 5:53pm (CDT+1)
From: (Rich=A0Pierro)

I suggest finding out how to hook a ton of pan-fish in your area and
getting him into fishing that way. If you fish for bass and get nothing
you will turn him off to fishing, but if you go after sunnies, you can
whack them all day and have a blast. Then, next time you say the word
"fishing", his eyes will light up.
Rich P
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Great advice, I use to take my son fishing, and did the same thing. In
fact he would often out fish me because I was going for the bass. Then
one day I caught some nice ones, and he said, "Daddy, I want to catch
fish like that!". I rigged him up a bass set up...he caught a nice
little 2#er, and never looked back, couldn't ever get him to fish the
sunnies again! I think I "corrupted" him <grin>.
JK

From: (Rich=A0Pierro)

I suggest finding out how to hook a ton of pan-fish in your area and
getting him into fishing that way. If you fish for bass and get nothing
you will turn him off to fishing, but if you go after sunnies, you can
whack them all day and have a blast. Then, next time you say the word
"fishing", his eyes will light up.
Rich P
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Great advice, I use to take my son fishing, and did the same thing. In
fact he would often out fish me because I was going for the bass. Then
one day I caught some nice ones, and he said, "Daddy, I want to catch
fish like that!". I rigged him up a bass set up...he caught a nice
little 2#er, and never looked back, couldn't ever get him to fish the
sunnies again! I think I "corrupted" him <grin>.
JK

alwaysfishking
August 2nd, 2004, 02:18 AM
I did a bit of the panfish thing with my kids but also taught them right
from the get go that sometimes fish bite and sometimes they don't. They
appreciate when they do catch a bass now much more. I would suggest that you
talk with the local tackle store and get some minnows. Rig them with a
bobber or without( My favorite way), Try to find a place with a variety of
species, perch, Crappie and Bass will all munch a good minnow and for that
matter a bad minnow, Make sure you bring some needlenose pliers as they all
have a tendency to swallow minnows. It will help getting the hook back
without hurting the fish. Something that can also turn off younger ones to
fishing if you are not prepared for the trip
"Rich Pierro" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > > kid with very good results. Now I'm taking my young son fishing for
the
> > same
> > > experience I had 30 years ago. I'm thinking of using earthworms
again.
> > Is
> > > this my best choice? Are there lures I should strongly consider as
> well?
> > > Does it depend on the lake or other factors? What about small-mouth
vs
> > > large-mouth? Also, I'm thinking of using steel leaders and a lead
weight
> > > about 3 feet above the hook without any float. Am I goofy going with
> this
> > > setup?
> > >
> > > Any help would be appreciated. This will be my son's first fishing
> > > experience and I'm trying to make it a very positive and memorable

RichG
August 2nd, 2004, 03:59 AM
Having fished all of my now longish life...I can tell you my thoughts on the
single one mistake most parents/kids make when small kids are trying to
catch small fish.

That is..they use much too large hooks. I ran into two youngsters on the
pier in Lake Geneva, Wisc. yesterday. One had a #6 ( I think ) hook..and a
night crawler on it that was five times bigger than the hook area. They were
trying to catch sunfish and bluegills off of the pier.

I had him nip off a tiny wedge of night-crawler..stick it on the very end of
his much too large hook.,,, and he caught a blue-gill on the very first drop
over the side. Small hooks, ( maybe #10s); long shanks, small baits...lots
of action. You can always target the bigger species..but start them off
catching ( not feeding, the little fish ) and they will love it. This
little guy did!

RichG
--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

[...]

August 2nd, 2004, 03:50 PM
Bass is the target....not looking to catch just anything. We will be
fishing LaDue Reservoir in northeast Ohio. My son is 10 and has lots of
attention span.

"Thundercat" > wrote in message
> [...]

> >Any help would be appreciated. This will be my son's first fishing
> >experience and I'm trying to make it a very positive and memorable
> >experience.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Tom
> >

> I don't know much about the ponds or lakes in your area (Detroit
> area?) but a few folks in here surely will. A lot of the
> recommendations that we could give you will depend a lot on what
> exactly you hope to accomplish. Do you want to target just bass or do
> you just want to get your son catching anything that will bite? That
> is probably the most important question. How old is your son and how
> is his attention span?
>
> Harry J aka Thundercat
> Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
> http://www.geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/products.html
> Share the knowledge, compete on execution.

August 2nd, 2004, 03:53 PM
Good point. So am I still good going with live worms and seeing what hits?

> [...]

> > > kid with very good results. Now I'm taking my young son fishing for
the
> > same
> > > experience I had 30 years ago. I'm thinking of using earthworms
again.
> > Is
> > > this my best choice? Are there lures I should strongly consider as
> well?
> > > Does it depend on the lake or other factors? What about small-mouth
vs
> > > large-mouth? Also, I'm thinking of using steel leaders and a lead
weight
> > > about 3 feet above the hook without any float. Am I goofy going with
> this
> > > setup?
> > >
> > > Any help would be appreciated. This will be my son's first fishing
> > > experience and I'm trying to make it a very positive and memorable

Tom
August 2nd, 2004, 03:54 PM
Thanks. I can see the logic of it.

From: (Rich Pierro)

I suggest finding out how to hook a ton of pan-fish in your area and
getting him into fishing that way. If you fish for bass and get nothing
you will turn him off to fishing, but if you go after sunnies, you can
whack them all day and have a blast. Then, next time you say the word
"fishing", his eyes will light up.
Rich P
======
Great advice, I use to take my son fishing, and did the same thing. In
fact he would often out fish me because I was going for the bass. Then
one day I caught some nice ones, and he said, "Daddy, I want to catch
fish like that!". I rigged him up a bass set up...he caught a nice
little 2#er, and never looked back, couldn't ever get him to fish the
sunnies again! I think I "corrupted" him <grin>.
JK

Tom
August 2nd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Thanks. Sounds like lots of good advice.

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> [...]

> without hurting the fish. Something that can also turn off younger ones to
> fishing if you are not prepared for the trip
> "Rich Pierro" > wrote in message
> > I suggest finding out how to hook a ton of pan-fish in your area and
> getting
> > him into fishing that way. If you fish for bass and get nothing you
will
> > turn him off to fishing, but if you go after sunnies, you can whack them
> all
> > day and have a blast. Then, next time you say the word "fishing", his
> eyes
> > will light up.
> >

> > Rich P
> >

> > "Dominic Chin" > wrote in message
> > > I would go with Shiners......run about 4ft of line between shiner and
> > > bobber. This will produce if there is bass in the water.

Tom
August 2nd, 2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the sage wisdom. Makes a lot of sense. Lake Geneva was my
first fishing experience as a kid growing up in Chicago. I'm now in
Northeast Ohio and looking to fish the over-fished State owned lakes and
reservoirs around here. My son can have fun with the blue-gills. I want to
catch bass if I can. So let me ask....for bass should I use the whole
night-crawler with one hook?, two hooks?, or part of the night-crawler with
one hook? I'm also thinking of using live minnows suspended 4 feet from a
bobber. Any comments?

BTW, the bass around here are small. 3 lbs. is as big as you can expect on
a good day.

Tom

"RichG" > wrote in message
.. .
> Having fished all of my now longish life...I can tell you my thoughts on
the
> single one mistake most parents/kids make when small kids are trying to
> catch small fish.
>
> That is..they use much too large hooks. I ran into two youngsters on the
> pier in Lake Geneva, Wisc. yesterday. One had a #6 ( I think ) hook..and
> night crawler on it that was five times bigger than the hook area. They
were
> trying to catch sunfish and bluegills off of the pier.
>
> I had him nip off a tiny wedge of night-crawler..stick it on the very end
of
> his much too large hook.,,, and he caught a blue-gill on the very first
drop
> over the side. Small hooks, ( maybe #10s); long shanks, small
baits...lots
> of action. You can always target the bigger species..but start them off
> catching ( not feeding, the little fish ) and they will love it. This
> little guy did!
>
> RichG
> --
> RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
> http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Tom
August 2nd, 2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the sage wisdom. Makes a lot of sense. Lake Geneva was my
first fishing experience as a kid growing up in Chicago. I'm now in
Northeast Ohio and looking to fish the over-fished State owned lakes and
reservoirs around here. My son can have fun with the blue-gills. I want to
catch bass if I can. So let me ask....for bass should I use the whole
night-crawler with one hook?, two hooks?, or part of the night-crawler with
one hook? I'm also thinking of using live minnows suspended 4 feet from a
bobber. Any comments?

BTW, the bass around here are small. 3 lbs. is as big as you can expect on
a good day.

Tom

.. .