PDA

View Full Version : The New Champion

alwaysfishking
August 2nd, 2004, 01:10 PM
What are your thoughts on the New Champ? Like him? dislike him? why?

Charles Summers
August 2nd, 2004, 02:16 PM
I'm happy that he won, and it ought to give us an incentive to know that
anything is possible here in the U.S.

This man is living his dream, and did whatever it took to fulfill it.

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> What are your thoughts on the New Champ? Like him? dislike him? why?

Charles Summers
August 2nd, 2004, 02:16 PM
I'm happy that he won, and it ought to give us an incentive to know that
anything is possible here in the U.S.

This man is living his dream, and did whatever it took to fulfill it.

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> What are your thoughts on the New Champ? Like him? dislike him? why?

Philip Goodwin
August 2nd, 2004, 02:22 PM
I like him. He seems like a passionate fisherman. He also seems to be a
humble guy which goes a long way in my book. I know you have to be a bit
brash and self confident to be able to compete at that level, but there is a
fine line between self confidence and being an a**hole. I do wonder however
if ESPN would have liked to have seen Martens or Rojas win it from a
marketing standpoint. I think Taki has his work cut out for him as far as
being able to reap the most benefit from his victory, at least here in the
US. He should do well in Japan though where as we all know bass fishing is a
pretty big deal. I'll close by congratulating him and wishing him the best
of luck as the champion.

Phil

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> What are your thoughts on the New Champ? Like him? dislike him? why?

Philip Goodwin
August 2nd, 2004, 02:22 PM
I like him. He seems like a passionate fisherman. He also seems to be a
humble guy which goes a long way in my book. I know you have to be a bit
brash and self confident to be able to compete at that level, but there is a
fine line between self confidence and being an a**hole. I do wonder however
if ESPN would have liked to have seen Martens or Rojas win it from a
marketing standpoint. I think Taki has his work cut out for him as far as
being able to reap the most benefit from his victory, at least here in the
US. He should do well in Japan though where as we all know bass fishing is a
pretty big deal. I'll close by congratulating him and wishing him the best
of luck as the champion.

Phil

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> What are your thoughts on the New Champ? Like him? dislike him? why?

BassMr
August 2nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
The guy beat some of the best bass fishermen in the world and he deserves
the victory.
Now I guess I have to find a use for these trick worms I was ready to mail
away.......:)
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> What are your thoughts on the New Champ? Like him? dislike him? why?

BassMr
August 2nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
The guy beat some of the best bass fishermen in the world and he deserves
the victory.
Now I guess I have to find a use for these trick worms I was ready to mail
away.......:)
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> What are your thoughts on the New Champ? Like him? dislike him? why?

alwaysfishking
August 2nd, 2004, 03:00 PM
He knew he had it, something inside him told him he as going to win. That
look on his face when he was bringing his bag up was priceless.
"Philip Goodwin" > wrote in message
> I like him. He seems like a passionate fisherman. He also seems to be a
> humble guy which goes a long way in my book. I know you have to be a bit
> brash and self confident to be able to compete at that level, but there is
> fine line between self confidence and being an a**hole. I do wonder
however
> if ESPN would have liked to have seen Martens or Rojas win it from a
> marketing standpoint. I think Taki has his work cut out for him as far as
> being able to reap the most benefit from his victory, at least here in the
> US. He should do well in Japan though where as we all know bass fishing is
> pretty big deal. I'll close by congratulating him and wishing him the best
> of luck as the champion.
>
> Phil
>
> "alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> > What are your thoughts on the New Champ? Like him? dislike him? why?

alwaysfishking
August 2nd, 2004, 03:00 PM
He knew he had it, something inside him told him he as going to win. That
look on his face when he was bringing his bag up was priceless.
"Philip Goodwin" > wrote in message
> I like him. He seems like a passionate fisherman. He also seems to be a
> humble guy which goes a long way in my book. I know you have to be a bit
> brash and self confident to be able to compete at that level, but there is
> fine line between self confidence and being an a**hole. I do wonder
however
> if ESPN would have liked to have seen Martens or Rojas win it from a
> marketing standpoint. I think Taki has his work cut out for him as far as
> being able to reap the most benefit from his victory, at least here in the
> US. He should do well in Japan though where as we all know bass fishing is
> pretty big deal. I'll close by congratulating him and wishing him the best
> of luck as the champion.
>
> Phil
>
> "alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> > What are your thoughts on the New Champ? Like him? dislike him? why?

go-bassn
August 2nd, 2004, 03:41 PM
What's there not to like? I can tell you firsthand about Tokahiro, as I
compeated against him last year in the opens. He drove his Gary Yamamoto
truck/camper around, and stayed in campsites because he couldn't afford
hotels. He practices from dawn to dusk. His sole purpose in life has just
been achieved, and for that he derves all that's coming to him.

CONGTATS TAK!

Warren

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> What are your thoughts on the New Champ? Like him? dislike him? why?

go-bassn
August 2nd, 2004, 03:41 PM
What's there not to like? I can tell you firsthand about Tokahiro, as I
compeated against him last year in the opens. He drove his Gary Yamamoto
truck/camper around, and stayed in campsites because he couldn't afford
hotels. He practices from dawn to dusk. His sole purpose in life has just
been achieved, and for that he derves all that's coming to him.

CONGTATS TAK!

Warren

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> What are your thoughts on the New Champ? Like him? dislike him? why?

Brad Coovert
August 2nd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Omori is an swesome fisherman. He lives for bass fishing. He moved to Texas
and lives near Lake Fork so he can fish it. He even built his home around bass
fishing. How many guys build a pool just for testing baits?

His win will probably usher in a lot more Japanese pros to the US bass scene as
well as their baits and tackle.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Brad Coovert
August 2nd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Omori is an swesome fisherman. He lives for bass fishing. He moved to Texas
and lives near Lake Fork so he can fish it. He even built his home around bass
fishing. How many guys build a pool just for testing baits?

His win will probably usher in a lot more Japanese pros to the US bass scene as
well as their baits and tackle.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

SimRacer
August 2nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> What are your thoughts on the New Champ? Like him? dislike him? why?

I like the guy (Engwish skills aside :) Saw him at both the Saturday and
Sunday weigh-ins and he was fired up (for him, he seems eerily calm even
when stoked).

Overall I enjoyed my entire experience given that it was my first Classic
attendance in person. I almost won the Triton (or so I tell myself, the
first name called was not in attendance, so they drew again, I know they
"just" missed mine and the wife's entires in the second draw LOL!) The show
was ok, but being made-for-TV it got kinda slow when they were apparently
going to commerical. I think the 13,000 attendance number was low, as they
had to open the upper deck before 3PM and the lower seats appeared stuffed
full and more than any 13k people IMO.

Congrats to my hometown boy doing good (Marty Stone, Linden NC) and my
current "hometown" guy also cashing, Dustin Wilks (who gave a shout out for
our great Northern NC lakes on national teevee, Harris, Jordan, Falls, Kerr
and Gaston Lakes). No offense to anyone else, but I was hoping that KVD's
lead would hold up through the Super Six so he could join the few
multi-Classic winners, and was glad that Tak ended up the winner. Talk about
the American dream. Omori's dream had to come true yesterday if I had to
guess. Yes, I was pulling for VanDam even though he was not my guy in the
ROFB pool.

And while rambling around the show at the convention center back up town I
got to meet and chat with Rick Clunn, Roland Martin, and Hank Parker, all
great guys who were taking the time to speak with weekend warriors like
myself and sign autgraphs for the kids. Saw the Secret Weapon lures booth
and thought about popping in but those guys were busy-busy. Stopped into the
Booyah booth and grabbed a couple of spinnerbaits. Oh, and drooled over all
the nice pro rigs they had lined up in there, including the incredibly nice
Triton TR21X they gave away. That puppy had color LCD/GPS on the console AND
the front end both, a Lowrance 19? in the console and a 330? at the bow.
Nice. Had a 225 Optimax on the back, but again I am a weekend hacker, and a
big old 250 Verado would be wasted on me except for just knowing that it is
supercharged...the prize boat with the 225 would have been a wet dream for
me as it was. I'd pay the income tax on it and keep it had I won, but no way
could I justify the $47k MSRP to buy one just like it out of the showroom.

Traffic wasn't terrible out of the Coliseum, but road work on I-85 North
near Greensboro made for a really late return to our near-Raleigh home. All
and all it was very worth it, though I've decided to try and be in the
"gallery" the next time, if ever, they return to a nearby NC/SC lake. I'd
like to have seen these guys work on the water. And given that the prior 2
trips here were to High Rock and it has since been dessimated by drought
(summer before last, the lake was basically closed the entire summer due to
low water), I can't see them back there in the next few years, if ever. If
nothing else, maybe they'll be back to Santee Cooper sometime soon, that's
not too terrible a drive.

Anyway, congrats to the Classic winner...Takahiro Omori.

SimRacer
August 2nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
> [...]

could I justify the $47k MSRP to buy one just like it out of the showroom.

Traffic wasn't terrible out of the Coliseum, but road work on I-85 North
near Greensboro made for a really late return to our near-Raleigh home. All
and all it was very worth it, though I've decided to try and be in the
"gallery" the next time, if ever, they return to a nearby NC/SC lake. I'd
like to have seen these guys work on the water. And given that the prior 2
trips here were to High Rock and it has since been dessimated by drought
(summer before last, the lake was basically closed the entire summer due to
low water), I can't see them back there in the next few years, if ever. If
nothing else, maybe they'll be back to Santee Cooper sometime soon, that's
not too terrible a drive.

Anyway, congrats to the Classic winner...Takahiro Omori.

August 2nd, 2004, 10:12 PM
Great report, Thanks
"SimRacer" > wrote in message
.com...
> [...]
> could I justify the $47k MSRP to buy one just like it out of the showroom.
>
> Traffic wasn't terrible out of the Coliseum, but road work on I-85 North
> near Greensboro made for a really late return to our near-Raleigh home.
All
> and all it was very worth it, though I've decided to try and be in the
> "gallery" the next time, if ever, they return to a nearby NC/SC lake. I'd
> like to have seen these guys work on the water. And given that the prior 2
> trips here were to High Rock and it has since been dessimated by drought
> (summer before last, the lake was basically closed the entire summer due
> low water), I can't see them back there in the next few years, if ever. If
> nothing else, maybe they'll be back to Santee Cooper sometime soon, that's
> not too terrible a drive.
>
> Anyway, congrats to the Classic winner...Takahiro Omori.

"SimRacer" > wrote in message
.com...
> [...]
> could I justify the $47k MSRP to buy one just like it out of the showroom.
>
> Traffic wasn't terrible out of the Coliseum, but road work on I-85 North
> near Greensboro made for a really late return to our near-Raleigh home.
All
> and all it was very worth it, though I've decided to try and be in the
> "gallery" the next time, if ever, they return to a nearby NC/SC lake. I'd
> like to have seen these guys work on the water. And given that the prior 2
> trips here were to High Rock and it has since been dessimated by drought
> (summer before last, the lake was basically closed the entire summer due
> low water), I can't see them back there in the next few years, if ever. If
> nothing else, maybe they'll be back to Santee Cooper sometime soon, that's
> not too terrible a drive.
>
> Anyway, congrats to the Classic winner...Takahiro Omori.

August 2nd, 2004, 10:54 PM
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message

> Great report, Thanks

NP. I waxxed on too long with it, but it was cool, even to a 30 something
like me, to see these guys in person that heretofor, I had only seen on TV
and in Bassmasters. I didn't ask for any autographs (I'd rather have a short
chat with them) but I did get my wife to snap a photo or two as I talked to
Rick and Roland, two of my childhood fishing idols. They really surprised me
with their down to Earth attitude and demeanor.

One of the smallest things, that seemed cool to me as well, were the banners
hanging from the rafters (in the Coliseum) like retired jerseys, listing the
year, the locale, and the winner of all the previous Classics. I would point
up to some and say things like "1989, Hank, I remember that one, he got it
exactly 10 years after his first in 1979, which I also remember" and so on
to my wife, showed her all of Clunn's banners, etc. If there was ever any
doubt in my wife about me being a charter member of the redneck club, they
were all laid to rest this weekend... LOL!

As we walked up to the weigh-in yesterday I would say "Look, that's a 1995
Skeeter. Look there, that's a REAL old Ranger, prolly a late 70s model. That
HAS GOT TO BE at least a 25 year old Evinrude on that boat..." (about the
boats in the parking lot) and she just laughed and smiled in amazement that
her hubby, that took 12 years off from fishing to be her full time husband,
really was into hawg bass fishing in such a way. (a passion, but never a
profession)

Yes, she said "You're welcome" several times during the day for "letting" me
(yeah right) get a new little boat last year and spend so much time out on
the water again, where IMO, I just seem to belong, regardless of whether I
am just fishing or actually catching... ;-p So now that I've got the bug
bad, I can get BACK on the water later this week IF this blasted TS Alex
will get on out of here. Raining cats and dogs here and it's just outer
bands/squalls to this point...that's fine, push those lakes back up into the
trees. I'll know where to find some fish then.....LOL!

> [...]

> > near Greensboro made for a really late return to our near-Raleigh home.
> All
> > and all it was very worth it, though I've decided to try and be in the
> > "gallery" the next time, if ever, they return to a nearby NC/SC lake.
I'd
> > like to have seen these guys work on the water. And given that the prior
2
> > trips here were to High Rock and it has since been dessimated by drought
> > (summer before last, the lake was basically closed the entire summer due
> > low water), I can't see them back there in the next few years, if ever.
If
> > nothing else, maybe they'll be back to Santee Cooper sometime soon,
that's
> > not too terrible a drive.
> >
> > Anyway, congrats to the Classic winner...Takahiro Omori.

RichZ
August 3rd, 2004, 12:03 AM
Alwaysfishking wrote:
> What are your thoughts on the New Champ? Like him? dislike him? why?

I like most of the Japanese pros, and Takahiro is no exception. They are
very passionate about the sport, and they tend not to make aholes of
themselves on stage. Even my wife -- disinterested observer that she is --
noted a tremendous difference between Tak's celebratory yell when he landed
that big one and the contrived and over the top celebrations that Ike made
last year. In fact, she noted that all of the top six guys seemed serious
and much more likeable than a lot of the guys who preceded them in the
weigh-in.

I especially like that the Japanese victor -- from the land of high end
crankbaits -- used an old American crankbait to claim the victory.<G>

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

RichZ
August 3rd, 2004, 12:03 AM