PDA

View Full Version : Question on downsizing

SimRacer
August 3rd, 2004, 09:31 PM
No, not the corporate type, the bait type.

You may or may not recall, but over the past year or so I've been here and
asked about baits that up until now, I've never had much success with, like
jigs, jig/pigs, soft jerkbaits (flukes and the like) and to some extent even
spinnerbaits. I always pretty much fished worms (T and C rigged) and
crankbaits with the occasional buzzbait and toothpick topwater bait when
conditions were favorable when I fished as probably a toddler to a 20 y/o
newlywed that got "out of the game" for over a decade.

Onto the question. I've been able to catch a few fish on jigs, and jigs with
trailers since getting back into the bass habit, but with the summer warmth
and sheer amount of pressure on my home lakes (ramps are very busy, 7 days a
week it seems), it seems that I can't even buy a nibble of late. So I guess
I need to know when in this situation, what "downsized" size of lure do you
go with? Do they make smaller versions of some of these crawfish shaped
trailers like say the Yum brand? Can a standard sized Yum crawfish bait
still be used effectively on smaller than 1/2 -3/8 oz jigs?

Or, just maybe some advice on fishing a medium sized (14k acres), southern
lake (NC specifically) and assume clear to slightly stained water, temps
from 85º+ at the surface to mid-to-high 70's near the bottom of the fishable
water column in said lake (fish seem to be hanging in the 12-20ft range,
whether or not the 20ft depth is near the bottom, much deeper and catfish
and stripers are all that seem to be caught). Also assume that there are
tons of local publications that tell you where to fish in this lake, and
that it gets fished 7 days a week, from February 1 to November 31 (no
seasons here, but those are the "warmer months" in NC). Short of finding
unknown holes (yeah, right) what are my best chances for pepping up this
stagnant summer bite? Smaller baits as suggested? Different approach to
presentation/speed? (Can you tell I'm about to spend the better part of my
summer vacation on my bass boat? ;) LOL!

Thanks for any insight.

BTW, here is a link to the USA Corps of Engineers page on this lake

http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/capefear.htm

and here is a link that is *supposed* to be lake data for the past 24 hours
(for level and temp info, mean level for this lake is around 216 ft AMSL
IIRC)

http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/bejrept.txt

--
Remove nospam@ from email to reply.

D.Norton
August 3rd, 2004, 11:33 PM
Three words. Charlie Brewer Sliders! Try them you won't get disappointed!

--
D.Norton
Millennium Custom Rods
"SimRacer" > wrote in message
.com...
> [...]
> stagnant summer bite? Smaller baits as suggested? Different approach to
> presentation/speed? (Can you tell I'm about to spend the better part of my
> summer vacation on my bass boat? ;) LOL!
>
> Thanks for any insight.
>
> BTW, here is a link to the USA Corps of Engineers page on this lake
>
> http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/capefear.htm
>
> and here is a link that is *supposed* to be lake data for the past 24
hours
> (for level and temp info, mean level for this lake is around 216 ft AMSL
> IIRC)
>
> http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/bejrept.txt
>
> --
> Remove nospam@ from email to reply.

D.Norton
August 3rd, 2004, 11:33 PM
Three words. Charlie Brewer Sliders! Try them you won't get disappointed!

"SimRacer" > wrote in message
.com...
> No, not the corporate type, the bait type.
>
> You may or may not recall, but over the past year or so I've been here and
> asked about baits that up until now, I've never had much success with,
like
> jigs, jig/pigs, soft jerkbaits (flukes and the like) and to some extent
even
> spinnerbaits. I always pretty much fished worms (T and C rigged) and
> crankbaits with the occasional buzzbait and toothpick topwater bait when
> conditions were favorable when I fished as probably a toddler to a 20 y/o
> newlywed that got "out of the game" for over a decade.
>
> Onto the question. I've been able to catch a few fish on jigs, and jigs
with
> trailers since getting back into the bass habit, but with the summer
warmth
> and sheer amount of pressure on my home lakes (ramps are very busy, 7 days
> week it seems), it seems that I can't even buy a nibble of late. So I
guess
> I need to know when in this situation, what "downsized" size of lure do
you
> go with? Do they make smaller versions of some of these crawfish shaped
> trailers like say the Yum brand? Can a standard sized Yum crawfish bait
> still be used effectively on smaller than 1/2 -3/8 oz jigs?
>
> Or, just maybe some advice on fishing a medium sized (14k acres), southern
> lake (NC specifically) and assume clear to slightly stained water, temps
> from 85º+ at the surface to mid-to-high 70's near the bottom of the
fishable
> water column in said lake (fish seem to be hanging in the 12-20ft range,
> whether or not the 20ft depth is near the bottom, much deeper and catfish
> and stripers are all that seem to be caught). Also assume that there are
> tons of local publications that tell you where to fish in this lake, and
> that it gets fished 7 days a week, from February 1 to November 31 (no
> seasons here, but those are the "warmer months" in NC). Short of finding
> unknown holes (yeah, right) what are my best chances for pepping up this
> stagnant summer bite? Smaller baits as suggested? Different approach to
> presentation/speed? (Can you tell I'm about to spend the better part of my
> summer vacation on my bass boat? ;) LOL!
>
> Thanks for any insight.
>
> BTW, here is a link to the USA Corps of Engineers page on this lake
>
> http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/capefear.htm
>
> and here is a link that is *supposed* to be lake data for the past 24
hours
> (for level and temp info, mean level for this lake is around 216 ft AMSL
> IIRC)
>
> http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/bejrept.txt
>
> --
> Remove nospam@ from email to reply.

alwaysfishking
August 3rd, 2004, 11:40 PM
Cabela's has some living eye jigs that have been productive. I have fished
them on 1/4 ounce heads with Berkely twin tail bungee grubs with a bit of
success

"D.Norton" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > tons of local publications that tell you where to fish in this lake, and
> > that it gets fished 7 days a week, from February 1 to November 31 (no
> > seasons here, but those are the "warmer months" in NC). Short of finding
> > unknown holes (yeah, right) what are my best chances for pepping up this
> > stagnant summer bite? Smaller baits as suggested? Different approach to
> > presentation/speed? (Can you tell I'm about to spend the better part of
my
> > summer vacation on my bass boat? ;) LOL!
> >
> > Thanks for any insight.
> >
> > BTW, here is a link to the USA Corps of Engineers page on this lake
> >
> > http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/capefear.htm
> >
> > and here is a link that is *supposed* to be lake data for the past 24
> hours
> > (for level and temp info, mean level for this lake is around 216 ft AMSL

RichZ
August 4th, 2004, 04:43 AM
2 words.

Drop
Shot

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

RichZ
August 4th, 2004, 04:43 AM
2 words.

Drop
Shot

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

RichZ
August 4th, 2004, 04:43 AM
2 words.

Drop
Shot

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

D.Norton
August 5th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Okay Rich , 5 words, Drop Shot Charlie Brewers Sliders!

--
D.Norton
Millennium Custom Rods