PDA

View Full Version : A classic story that didn't make the headlines

Fritz Nordengren
August 4th, 2004, 03:11 AM
A guy from Center Point, Iowa finished 23rd in the classic:
Thad Takes.

He probably didn't make many of the headlines or stories, but this is
the April winner of the Federaton Championship in Oklahoma.

He started strong with a limit day one, and then finished weaker, endind
up with 8 fish total 18-9 for weight.

To me, it's amazing to think that a fisherman from a state that is
clearly not "big bass country" can make it all the way to the top 25 in
the Classic. Very few "pro sports" can an amateur go so far.

RichG
August 4th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Not sure, but didn't one of those TV guys..maybe the blond haired one who
kisses fish.... come from OK? Lots of bass in that state.

And yes, this is the land of opportunity. The guy who won some big
tournament this last weekend was Oriental in appearance but American in
talent! Rich

--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

"Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message
> A guy from Center Point, Iowa finished 23rd in the classic:
> Thad Takes.
>
> He probably didn't make many of the headlines or stories, but this is
> the April winner of the Federaton Championship in Oklahoma.
>
> He started strong with a limit day one, and then finished weaker, endind
> up with 8 fish total 18-9 for weight.
>
> To me, it's amazing to think that a fisherman from a state that is
> clearly not "big bass country" can make it all the way to the top 25 in
> the Classic. Very few "pro sports" can an amateur go so far.

RichG
August 4th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Not sure, but didn't one of those TV guys..maybe the blond haired one who
kisses fish.... come from OK? Lots of bass in that state.

And yes, this is the land of opportunity. The guy who won some big
tournament this last weekend was Oriental in appearance but American in
talent! Rich

--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

"Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message
> A guy from Center Point, Iowa finished 23rd in the classic:
> Thad Takes.
>
> He probably didn't make many of the headlines or stories, but this is
> the April winner of the Federaton Championship in Oklahoma.
>
> He started strong with a limit day one, and then finished weaker, endind
> up with 8 fish total 18-9 for weight.
>
> To me, it's amazing to think that a fisherman from a state that is
> clearly not "big bass country" can make it all the way to the top 25 in
> the Classic. Very few "pro sports" can an amateur go so far.

Chris Rennert
August 4th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Thad Takes is from Iowa
"RichG" > wrote in message
> Not sure, but didn't one of those TV guys..maybe the blond haired one who
> kisses fish.... come from OK? Lots of bass in that state.
>
> And yes, this is the land of opportunity. The guy who won some big
> tournament this last weekend was Oriental in appearance but American in
> talent! Rich
>
> --
> RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
> http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners
>

> "Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message
> > A guy from Center Point, Iowa finished 23rd in the classic:
> > Thad Takes.
> >
> > He probably didn't make many of the headlines or stories, but this is
> > the April winner of the Federaton Championship in Oklahoma.
> >
> > He started strong with a limit day one, and then finished weaker, endind
> > up with 8 fish total 18-9 for weight.
> >
> > To me, it's amazing to think that a fisherman from a state that is
> > clearly not "big bass country" can make it all the way to the top 25 in
> > the Classic. Very few "pro sports" can an amateur go so far.

SimRacer
August 4th, 2004, 05:44 PM
"Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message
> A guy from Center Point, Iowa finished 23rd in the classic:
> Thad Takes.
>
> He probably didn't make many of the headlines or stories, but this is
> the April winner of the Federaton Championship in Oklahoma.

Actually, they seemed to go out of their way (Fish and Trip) on stage to
recognize that Thad won the Federation event to get to the Classic, and Fish
even corrected himself on Thad's surname pronunciation several times. Takes:
take-us

So it may not have made much print or TV coverage, but they gave him his
props on-stage at the weigh-in at the very least. I for one appreciate the
talent it must take to make the Classic through the Federation. Isn't that
how Iaconelli made his first Classic? Maybe Thad can step up and turn big
time pro now if he chooses to, he seemed like a fairly humble and easy going
guy on the stage.

> He started strong with a limit day one, and then finished weaker, endind
> up with 8 fish total 18-9 for weight.
>
> To me, it's amazing to think that a fisherman from a state that is
> clearly not "big bass country" can make it all the way to the top 25 in
> the Classic. Very few "pro sports" can an amateur go so far.

True that. *Occasionally* the invited amatuers (some are invited, others win
events to make it in) will make the cuts at the US Open or Masters in golf,
disounting Bobby Jones of course. He won everything and never turned pro
IIRC.

SimRacer
August 4th, 2004, 05:44 PM
"Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message
> A guy from Center Point, Iowa finished 23rd in the classic:
> Thad Takes.
>
> He probably didn't make many of the headlines or stories, but this is
> the April winner of the Federaton Championship in Oklahoma.

Actually, they seemed to go out of their way (Fish and Trip) on stage to
recognize that Thad won the Federation event to get to the Classic, and Fish
even corrected himself on Thad's surname pronunciation several times. Takes:
take-us

So it may not have made much print or TV coverage, but they gave him his
props on-stage at the weigh-in at the very least. I for one appreciate the
talent it must take to make the Classic through the Federation. Isn't that
how Iaconelli made his first Classic? Maybe Thad can step up and turn big
time pro now if he chooses to, he seemed like a fairly humble and easy going
guy on the stage.

> He started strong with a limit day one, and then finished weaker, endind
> up with 8 fish total 18-9 for weight.
>
> To me, it's amazing to think that a fisherman from a state that is
> clearly not "big bass country" can make it all the way to the top 25 in
> the Classic. Very few "pro sports" can an amateur go so far.

True that. *Occasionally* the invited amatuers (some are invited, others win
events to make it in) will make the cuts at the US Open or Masters in golf,
disounting Bobby Jones of course. He won everything and never turned pro
IIRC.

go-bassn
August 4th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Let's not forget the late Bryan Kerchal fellas, he made the Classic Twice in
a row through the Federation & on his second try WON the dam thing!

Warren

"SimRacer" > wrote in message
r.com...
> "Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message
> > A guy from Center Point, Iowa finished 23rd in the classic:
> > Thad Takes.
> >
> > He probably didn't make many of the headlines or stories, but this is
> > the April winner of the Federaton Championship in Oklahoma.
>
> Actually, they seemed to go out of their way (Fish and Trip) on stage to
> recognize that Thad won the Federation event to get to the Classic, and
Fish
> even corrected himself on Thad's surname pronunciation several times.
Takes:
> take-us
>
> So it may not have made much print or TV coverage, but they gave him his
> props on-stage at the weigh-in at the very least. I for one appreciate the
> talent it must take to make the Classic through the Federation. Isn't that
> how Iaconelli made his first Classic? Maybe Thad can step up and turn big
> time pro now if he chooses to, he seemed like a fairly humble and easy
going
> guy on the stage.
>
> > He started strong with a limit day one, and then finished weaker, endind
> > up with 8 fish total 18-9 for weight.
> >
> > To me, it's amazing to think that a fisherman from a state that is
> > clearly not "big bass country" can make it all the way to the top 25 in
> > the Classic. Very few "pro sports" can an amateur go so far.
>
> True that. *Occasionally* the invited amatuers (some are invited, others
win
> events to make it in) will make the cuts at the US Open or Masters in
golf,
> disounting Bobby Jones of course. He won everything and never turned pro
> IIRC.

go-bassn
August 4th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Let's not forget the late Bryan Kerchal fellas, he made the Classic Twice in
a row through the Federation & on his second try WON the dam thing!

Warren

"SimRacer" > wrote in message
r.com...
> "Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message
> > A guy from Center Point, Iowa finished 23rd in the classic:
> > Thad Takes.
> >
> > He probably didn't make many of the headlines or stories, but this is
> > the April winner of the Federaton Championship in Oklahoma.
>
> Actually, they seemed to go out of their way (Fish and Trip) on stage to
> recognize that Thad won the Federation event to get to the Classic, and
Fish
> even corrected himself on Thad's surname pronunciation several times.
Takes:
> take-us
>
> So it may not have made much print or TV coverage, but they gave him his
> props on-stage at the weigh-in at the very least. I for one appreciate the
> talent it must take to make the Classic through the Federation. Isn't that
> how Iaconelli made his first Classic? Maybe Thad can step up and turn big
> time pro now if he chooses to, he seemed like a fairly humble and easy
going
> guy on the stage.
>
> > He started strong with a limit day one, and then finished weaker, endind
> > up with 8 fish total 18-9 for weight.
> >
> > To me, it's amazing to think that a fisherman from a state that is
> > clearly not "big bass country" can make it all the way to the top 25 in
> > the Classic. Very few "pro sports" can an amateur go so far.
>
> True that. *Occasionally* the invited amatuers (some are invited, others
win
> events to make it in) will make the cuts at the US Open or Masters in
golf,
> disounting Bobby Jones of course. He won everything and never turned pro
> IIRC.

SimRacer
August 4th, 2004, 08:31 PM
"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Let's not forget the late Bryan Kerchal fellas, he made the Classic Twice
in
> a row through the Federation & on his second try WON the dam thing!
>
> Warren

Yup, I saw a piece on the ESPN Bassmasters show a month or so back on him
and his tragic death (following his "meteoric rise" in the sport). Pointed
out his banner to the wife this weekend too, told her that was the young guy
that made it in through the Federation, and won, and then died shortly
after.

Of course, then I spent the better part of the next half hour explaining
this "Federation" thing to her...I think she got it after a while, said it
was neat that an am got to fish his way into the Classic each year. I agree.

SimRacer
August 4th, 2004, 08:31 PM
"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Let's not forget the late Bryan Kerchal fellas, he made the Classic Twice
in
> a row through the Federation & on his second try WON the dam thing!
>
> Warren

Yup, I saw a piece on the ESPN Bassmasters show a month or so back on him
and his tragic death (following his "meteoric rise" in the sport). Pointed
out his banner to the wife this weekend too, told her that was the young guy
that made it in through the Federation, and won, and then died shortly
after.

Of course, then I spent the better part of the next half hour explaining
this "Federation" thing to her...I think she got it after a while, said it
was neat that an am got to fish his way into the Classic each year. I agree.

DWM
August 5th, 2004, 10:42 AM
I got a feeling we ain't heard the last of Thad Takes. For an amateur to
go out on the first day of the Classic and bring in a load is amazing.
Most first timers are so nerve wrecked their first time they can't even
fish, Remember Kerchal's first Classic? He finished last.

JH33