PDA

View Full Version : Cwellyn 2004

Dave Lane
August 4th, 2004, 12:42 PM
So you missed it - but here's a quick report on the
urfg 2004 gathering - all 4 of us.....

We were camping on the site adjacent to Llyn Cwellyn in
N.Wales, and I rolled up on the Thursday afternoon to
find Bill all set up. It had been a bit of a stormy day,
with quite a wave on Cwellyn, and rain looked likely, so
there was a bit of a hurry to get my tent up before Andy
and Alec arrived later, having been held up on the M-way.

Sure enough, it chucked it down, but not before we'd had
the barbie fired up - fortunately I had brought the big
family tent, and so we were able to relax in there, chew
the fat and just watch it all. Thanks to Alec and Andy for
bringing the entire stock from their local butcher...

Friday dawned a bit grey and gloomy, but soon cleared up
and we decided to get tickets for Cwellyn and Llyn Nantlle,
with a boat for Nantlle. Damn - we were beaten to hiring a motor
for this, which meant a fair bit of rowing for yours truly.

Andy and I headed off to Nantlle, leaving Bill and Alec to
get to grips with Cwellyn, and we were soon afloat on
this beautiful lake, with Snowdon in the background.
It wasn't long before Andy got the pull - and landed a
rather nice........roach! This man should take up coarse
fishing.....

The sun was making things a bit tricky I felt, along with the
lack of a decent ripple, but I landed one trout which went back,
just before Andy caught himself - another roach! Shortly after,
another trout came to my diawl bach, this time going into the bag.

For the afternoon, Andy and Alec swapped over - they had not had any
luck at Cwellyn, and both Alec and I lost a trout each. They are very,
very quick here.

So, back to the campsite for the evening, get the barbie going,
dodge the midges which were pretty fierce. Unfortunately, the
camp site was filling up with rowdy types, and there wasn't much
sleep going that evening.

Saturday dawns, it's promising to be a fine day, and we say goodbye
to Bill who has decided to get off home. Andy and I head off to Nantlle
again, whilst Alec goes to try nearby Llyn Dwyarchen. But it's a really
hot day, fierce sunshine, almost no wind, and we all struggle to get
so much as a knock. By mid afternoon, we've all had enough of 'boat legs'
and end the day on the banks of Dwyarchen, but there's nothing doing.

So, whilst I can't say that the fishing was brilliant, we spent a couple of
days amongst beautiful scenery, topping up the suntans.

My grateful thanks to Alec and Bill for coming up, and especially to
Andy who had taken the trouble to organise everything.

There are a few photos to be found at:

http://www.cysgod.ic2.net/Cwellyn04/ (case sensitive)

cheers all,

.... Oh, I couldn't afford a whole new brain.

Dave Lane
August 6th, 2004, 09:31 AM
In message >
Dave Lane > wrote:

> There are a few photos to be found at:
>
> http://www.cysgod.ic2.net/Cwellyn04/ (case sensitive)

bugger - and apologies all round - it should be:

http://www.cysgod.ic24.net/Cwellyn04/ (case sensitive)

thanks Alec.....

cheers,

Dave (thank god it's Friday)

--

.... "Bother", said Pooh, as he failed the dope test.

Dave Lane
August 6th, 2004, 09:31 AM