PDA

View Full Version : Warren Tidbits

go-bassn
November 6th, 2003, 02:07 AM
It's been a tough month guys, only now am I getting relaxed once again. I
just came off of 4 straight weeks of 12-hour days. My dad had his achilles
tendon operated on about 2 months ago. He had to wear a cast on his leg &
foot for a whole month, at some point during which he developed a nasty
infection inside it that was allowed to permeate for some time before being
discovered. Anyway about 4 weeks ago he had the infection cleaned out & a
skin graft was done, hence the cause for my work-marathon. He's doing much
better now despite loosing a chunk of his upper heel. I'd worked every day
since getting back from New York (Oct 5) until this past Sunday.

Of course I went fishing. The weather was springlike, sunny & in the 70's.
A tournament was going on at the lake when I got there, but oh well. I
caught about 15 keepers, many over 3 pounds on my favorite lure this time of
year, a ratl-trap. Just randomly (slow) crankin every flat I could find,
the fish weren't relating to any cover at all. It was fun.

I saw a friend that was in the tournament, he was flipping pads with little
success. I told him to get away from the pads & throw the trap. He ended
up winning the 4-fish limit tourney with 10 & change. My best 4 was 14 or
so I figured, just eyeballing em lol. OK, 12 at least ;-) Second place was
3 pounds.

The reason I mention this relates to RichZ's Indian Summer post. While I
caught 16 keepers, what I actually found were 3 seperate balls of fish. Not
long after launch I found the first & got 6 on 6 casts. About an hour later
I found another & got 6 more in 7 or 8 casts. Later I got 4 on 4 casts.

The point is that fall is the time of year that bass really bunch up - it's
a feast or famine situation. The Trap works good for me because I can cover
alot of water with it, and it draws fish from great distances. When they're
on the Trap they really attack it. That's because there's a bunch of fish
together & they're competing for the bait.

If I hadn't found those 3 pods of fish I would have been skunked.

Anyway., I fish my first tourney since NY this weekend. It's gonna be
freezing & windy. I should be ready after NY. I've also returned to my
OF.com journal, and hope to add the rest of my trip to it in the near
future.

http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=154

Oh, If you never checked out my B.A.S.S. patches I've added the collection
to a patch-page on my site too.

http://www.warrenwolk.com/patchpage.htm

Anyway, it's great to have time to be back on here, I hope eeveryone's doing
great!

Warren
--
http://www.fishingworld.com/MesaTackleSupply/
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com http://www.secretweaponlures.com

Brad Coovert
November 7th, 2003, 09:42 PM
>what I actually found were 3 seperate balls of fish. Not
>long after launch I found the first & got 6 on 6 casts. About an hour later
>I found another & got 6 more in 7 or 8 casts. Later I got 4 on 4 casts.
>
>The point is that fall is the time of year that bass really bunch up - it's
>a feast or famine situation. The Trap works good for me because I can cover
>alot of water with it, and it draws fish from great distances.

I had a similar thing happen last fall at our club classic. I went to the
backs of creeks and owuld fish like hell with a trap with not one sniff from a
bass. All of a sudden, I would come to an area and get fish after fish. I
ended up with 7 keepers and 2 shorts with 12lbs+ being my best 5 fish. Second
place had two fish and thuird place had one fish. No one else had fish.

All my fish came in groups in two small areas, one in each creek.

Brad Coovert, 2003 Tournament Director, Greenfield Bassmasters
Please visit our sponsors:
http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm