PDA

View Full Version : For Bob La Londe about PowerPro casting twice as far

Sergio Escutia
August 6th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Bob... Regarding your original message found at the end of this one. I
am the one holding the 36 lb snook caught from the surf in Mazatlan,
México that is shown on the PowerPro brochure.

I do have to tell you that PowerPro is my favorite PE braided line but
those words on the brochure were not precisely the words I used, but
that is another story.

The snook was caught using 30 lb PowerPro on a conventional ABU 6500
CS Mag that I use to surf fish. I was casting from shore a soft
swimbait on a jig head. Using the same reel (and rod) I am able to
cast a 4 oz. lead 180 yds. away with 30 lb PowerPro. Using 30 lb nylon
monofilament I could reach maybe half the distance at the most.

That particular snook was caught casting around 100 yds away from
shore to a submerged rock that I am sure I could not have reached
using 30 lb. nylon monofilament.

Not the typical largemouth fishing scenario for sure, nor even the
typical snook cast. ;)

Hopes this clears your doubt.

Best wishes.

Sergio Escutia

From: Bob La Londe )
Subject: Power Pro
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Date: 2004-04-05 07:50:37 PST

Ok, I do not get this. Sure Power Pro is better than many of hte
older
braids, but I have issues with this fromt he Power Pro website.

"PowerPro lets me cast up to twice as far as with monofilament. I can
always
cast to where the fish are with PowerPro."
- Sergio Escutia (36-lb. snook, 30-lb. PowerPro)

I have experimented with PP vs Flourocarbo for pitchign which is in my
opinion one of the applications most affected by anything that can be
affected by anything when it comes to distance.

20LB Seaguar easily pitches further than 50LB PP. Even a rooky like
me can
see the difference on identical rods with the same weight weight and
plastic.
--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

RichG
August 7th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Bob, It is interesting that your query drew a DIRECT response from the guy
who caught the fish.

However, his response actually proves your theory, in my book.

PP is spooled onto almost every one of my baitcasting & spinning reels. I
believe, as you do, that, when casting... light 1/16th to 1 oz lures...,
it cuts down on my casting distance. Now, If I was throwing a much heavier
(4 oz.) weight...it may be the cat's meow.

In spite of it costing me some casting distance, its ability to allow me to
pull out the "occasional" backlashes ( and the fewer backlashes that I get,
compared to mono)...keeps the stuff on my many rods.

Its a love-hate relationship for me. I like the feedback I get with a
spinner bait; crankbait etc.; I like the instant striking capabilities; I
like the fewer & easier to remove backlashes; ....I hate the loss of casting
distance with light-weight lures, and the "grinding" sound I get when
reeling a lure in.

regards, RichG

--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners