PDA

View Full Version : Fishing & Hunting - Commentary

Craig
August 7th, 2004, 02:55 PM
I love fishing and hunting. There is nothing better than being out in
nature, enjoying her beauty and partaking in one of my favorite activities.
But. . . .

I believe a fisherman takes only what is legal or whatever he and his family
will eat, whichever is the lesser of the two. I believe this also holds
true to hunters., and up to this point, I don't think anyone would disagree
with me.

I just watched a program on hunting and became angry, as I do sometimes when
I watch deep sea fishing programs. I hate to see hunters use dogs, when the
dogs job is to run down the animal. I DON'T have a problem at all with a
using a single dog, such as a retriever, to point out, flush and retrieve
birds. But I do have a problem when a pack of dogs are used to run down,
surround, and trap an animal so that the so called hunter can walk up and
shoot it. Then listen to the guy tell me what a great hunt it was, when
their dogs did all the hunting. They are no more a hunter than a guy who
uses dynamite, to catch fish, is a fisherman.

If this individual was using one of these methods as the sole means to feed
his family, I wouldn't have a problem it. That includes using dynamite to
catch fish. A man must do whatever is necessary to feed, cloth, shelter,
and protect their family. But to call it fishing or hunting is a joke.
With all our modern camo, scents, callers, gps, etc., do we really need to
use dog packs to run down our prey.

Yeah, I'm a moderate democrat - so I also believe a man only needs a
shotgun, a long rifle, a bow, a good knife, and maybe a semi-auto handgun to
hunt with and for protection. The weapons I have are for hunting, not for
taking on an invading army. We have the police and military for that.
But, hey, I think it would be cool to use tranquilizer tarts to hunt with so
that you could shoot that big deer, get your photo taken with it and then
let it go. Catch & release hunting, because for me, it is the hunt that is
the fun.

--
Craig Baugher
Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

go-bassn
August 7th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Craig, while I don't disagree with you I'm sure there's a much more
appropriate group on which to voice your objections to certain hunting
methods.

You should be out dynamiting bass anyway...

Warren

"Craig" > wrote in message
> I love fishing and hunting. There is nothing better than being out in
> nature, enjoying her beauty and partaking in one of my favorite
activities.
> But. . . .
>
> I believe a fisherman takes only what is legal or whatever he and his
family
> will eat, whichever is the lesser of the two. I believe this also holds
> true to hunters., and up to this point, I don't think anyone would
disagree
> with me.
>
> I just watched a program on hunting and became angry, as I do sometimes
when
> I watch deep sea fishing programs. I hate to see hunters use dogs, when
the
> dogs job is to run down the animal. I DON'T have a problem at all with a
> using a single dog, such as a retriever, to point out, flush and retrieve
> birds. But I do have a problem when a pack of dogs are used to run down,
> surround, and trap an animal so that the so called hunter can walk up and
> shoot it. Then listen to the guy tell me what a great hunt it was, when
> their dogs did all the hunting. They are no more a hunter than a guy who
> uses dynamite, to catch fish, is a fisherman.
>
> If this individual was using one of these methods as the sole means to
feed
> his family, I wouldn't have a problem it. That includes using dynamite
> catch fish. A man must do whatever is necessary to feed, cloth, shelter,
> and protect their family. But to call it fishing or hunting is a joke.
> With all our modern camo, scents, callers, gps, etc., do we really need to
> use dog packs to run down our prey.
>
> Yeah, I'm a moderate democrat - so I also believe a man only needs a
> shotgun, a long rifle, a bow, a good knife, and maybe a semi-auto handgun
> hunt with and for protection. The weapons I have are for hunting, not for
> taking on an invading army. We have the police and military for that.
> But, hey, I think it would be cool to use tranquilizer tarts to hunt with
so
> that you could shoot that big deer, get your photo taken with it and then
> let it go. Catch & release hunting, because for me, it is the hunt that
is
> the fun.
>
> --
> Craig Baugher
> Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
August 7th, 2004, 04:03 PM
"Craig" > wrote in message
> I love fishing and hunting. There is nothing better than being out in
> nature, enjoying her beauty and partaking in one of my favorite
activities.
> But. . . .
>
> I believe a fisherman takes only what is legal or whatever he and his
family
> will eat, whichever is the lesser of the two. I believe this also holds
> true to hunters., and up to this point, I don't think anyone would
disagree
> with me.
>
> I just watched a program on hunting and became angry, as I do sometimes
when
> I watch deep sea fishing programs. I hate to see hunters use dogs, when
the
> dogs job is to run down the animal. I DON'T have a problem at all with a
> using a single dog, such as a retriever, to point out, flush and retrieve
> birds. But I do have a problem when a pack of dogs are used to run down,
> surround, and trap an animal so that the so called hunter can walk up and
> shoot it. Then listen to the guy tell me what a great hunt it was, when
> their dogs did all the hunting. They are no more a hunter than a guy who
> uses dynamite, to catch fish, is a fisherman.

***I have a problem with this viewpoint. YOU don't see the need to, so that
makes it wrong. I don't know what show you saw, and what was shown, but....

Have you EVER hunted with dogs? I have, and not just a single retriever or
pointer. I've hunted with packs of hounds and found it to be a highly
enjoyable, exciting and sporting form of hunting. Have you ever hunted
racoons after dark through woods, cornfields, swamps and marshes? I have.
Have you ever hunted wild hogs in the thick undergrowth of
Georgia/Florida/the Carolinas? I have. Have you ever hunted any western
mountain lions? While I haven't done that (yet), I see the need for packs
of hounds in order to do it. Have you ever hunted black bears in the dense
northern Wisconsin forests? I've been involved in those hunts too.

If it weren't for the dogs, few of these hunts would be possible. Due to
terrain, vegetation cover and the nature of the animal being hunted, without
dogs, success would be almost impossible. Many people enjoy racoon hunting,
but the nocturnal lifestyle necessitates the use of dogs, and let me tell
you, an angry racoon is something that is more than a single hound can
usually handle. Feral hogs or wild boars can be taken by spot & stalk or
stand/blind hunting, but the thick forest undergrowth that they lie up in
during the day means that you'd have to virtually kick them in the behinds
in order to find them, and speaking from first hand knowledge, even feral
hogs are not something to toy with. They're fast, mean, nasty and tasty
critters, but again, dogs make the hunts possible. People don't like the
idea of baiting for black bears, but again, the habitat that they prefer in
this part of the country eliminates the possibility of spot & stalk. So, if
baiting is "bad", how is a person to hunt black bears when seeing 50 yards
is a long distance? Big cats out west cover so much territory and are so
secretive that unless you have the same luck as a lottery winner, forget
hunting them unless you're willing to follow a pack of enthusiastic hounds.

> If this individual was using one of these methods as the sole means to
feed
> his family, I wouldn't have a problem it. That includes using dynamite
> catch fish.

***So, hunting to eat is all right, but hunting for sport, recreation,
challenge, trophy and memories is wrong? You advocate game law violations
because the fish are going to be eaten? In these days of "social programs",
there's no reason what so ever for someone to violate game laws to feed a
family. If someone has the means to fish/hunt and to purchase fishing
tackle/hunting equipment, that means that they have some money and are
physically able to hold down a job.

> A man must do whatever is necessary to feed, cloth, shelter,
> and protect their family.

***Based on that theory, liquor store robbery is ok?

> But to call it fishing or hunting is a joke.

***No, it's a different method of hunting than YOU are familiar and
comfortable with.

> With all our modern camo, scents, callers, gps, etc., do we really need to
> use dog packs to run down our prey.

***With all of the locators, gps units, superlines, better rods/reels,
underwater cameras, improved lure designs, improved boat designs, is fishing
sporting anymore? It still comes down to the individual. You know as well
as I do, all the high tech equipment in the world isn't going to make
someone a better hunter and/or angler. The hunter still has to have a basic
understanding of his prey, locate it, keep pace with the dogs and/or animal,
and make an accurate, humane killing shot. Just as an angler must
understand his chosen species being pursued, locate them and entice them to
bite/strike. Buying more gear doesn't automatically guarantee success,
anymore than turning a dog loose guarantees a sure kill of whatever species.

In many ways, and this is based on personal experience, hunters that own
packs of hounds are more dedicated to their sport than those that don't.
These people (in my experience) are better skilled outdoors, have a better
understanding of the animals that they pursue and spend far more time in
their chosen activity than the guy that goes out, sits in a treestand or
blind for a couple weeks each year and calls himself a hunter. These people
are making a year round investment in their hounds, feeding them, paying vet
bills, taking the time/expense of training them.

> Yeah, I'm a moderate democrat - so I also believe a man only needs a
> shotgun, a long rifle, a bow, a good knife, and maybe a semi-auto handgun
> hunt with and for protection.

***Why so many weapons? Why not just limit it to a single shotgun? You can
hunt virtually everything on the North American continent from game birds,
to squirrels, to deer, bears and moose with a single shotgun, a selection of
choke tubes, some bird shot and slugs. Plus, a shotgun is a great personal
defense weapon.

Does this mean that because I have four different shotguns (and still want
two more), three different rifles (and have seen a myriad of different
rifles that I could find a use for), two bows, two pistols, a muzzleloader
and more knives than you can shake a stick at, I'm some kind of whacko and
I'm wrong in your eyes?

> The weapons I have are for hunting, not for
> taking on an invading army. We have the police and military for that.
> But, hey, I think it would be cool to use tranquilizer tarts to hunt with
so
> that you could shoot that big deer, get your photo taken with it and then
> let it go. Catch & release hunting, because for me, it is the hunt that
is
> the fun.

***There are far too many attacks being made on hunting, shooting, fishing
and other outdoor activities for us sportsmen and women to be divided. Just
because YOU choose not to participate in a particular activity DOES NOT make
it less sporting or wrong, it's just different. Remember, one does not hunt
in order to kill, one kills in order to have hunted.

Plus, I love venison roast, bear steaks, wild pork chops, and just about all
forms of wild game meat. You can't have that with a picture.

Soapbox mode off now!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
August 7th, 2004, 04:03 PM

"Craig" > wrote in message
> [...]

> But, hey, I think it would be cool to use tranquilizer tarts to hunt with
so
> that you could shoot that big deer, get your photo taken with it and then
> let it go. Catch & release hunting, because for me, it is the hunt that
is
> the fun.

***There are far too many attacks being made on hunting, shooting, fishing
and other outdoor activities for us sportsmen and women to be divided. Just
because YOU choose not to participate in a particular activity DOES NOT make
it less sporting or wrong, it's just different. Remember, one does not hunt
in order to kill, one kills in order to have hunted.

Plus, I love venison roast, bear steaks, wild pork chops, and just about all
forms of wild game meat. You can't have that with a picture.

TerryNC
August 7th, 2004, 04:40 PM
That's the exact reason I don't have Fishing dogs ;-)

"Craig" > wrote in message
> I love fishing and hunting. There is nothing better than being out in
> nature, enjoying her beauty and partaking in one of my favorite
activities.
> But. . . .
>
> I believe a fisherman takes only what is legal or whatever he and his
family
> will eat, whichever is the lesser of the two. I believe this also holds
> true to hunters., and up to this point, I don't think anyone would
disagree
> with me.
>
> I just watched a program on hunting and became angry, as I do sometimes
when
> I watch deep sea fishing programs. I hate to see hunters use dogs, when
the
> dogs job is to run down the animal. I DON'T have a problem at all with a
> using a single dog, such as a retriever, to point out, flush and retrieve
> birds. But I do have a problem when a pack of dogs are used to run down,
> surround, and trap an animal so that the so called hunter can walk up and
> shoot it. Then listen to the guy tell me what a great hunt it was, when
> their dogs did all the hunting. They are no more a hunter than a guy who
> uses dynamite, to catch fish, is a fisherman.
>
> If this individual was using one of these methods as the sole means to
feed
> his family, I wouldn't have a problem it. That includes using dynamite
> catch fish. A man must do whatever is necessary to feed, cloth, shelter,
> and protect their family. But to call it fishing or hunting is a joke.
> With all our modern camo, scents, callers, gps, etc., do we really need to
> use dog packs to run down our prey.
>
> Yeah, I'm a moderate democrat - so I also believe a man only needs a
> shotgun, a long rifle, a bow, a good knife, and maybe a semi-auto handgun
> hunt with and for protection. The weapons I have are for hunting, not for
> taking on an invading army. We have the police and military for that.
> But, hey, I think it would be cool to use tranquilizer tarts to hunt with
so
> that you could shoot that big deer, get your photo taken with it and then
> let it go. Catch & release hunting, because for me, it is the hunt that
is
> the fun.
>
> --
> Craig Baugher
> Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

Rodney
August 7th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Craig wrote:
> I love fishing and hunting. There is nothing better than being out in
> nature, enjoying her beauty and partaking in one of my favorite activities.
> But. . . .
>
> I believe a fisherman takes only what is legal or whatever he and his family
> will eat, whichever is the lesser of the two. I believe this also holds
> true to hunters., and up to this point, I don't think anyone would disagree
> with me.
>
> I just watched a program on hunting and became angry, as I do sometimes when
> I watch deep sea fishing programs. I hate to see hunters use dogs, when the
> dogs job is to run down the animal.

Your reasons are personal, and you should be able to feel this way, and
have your own ethics you abide by, but this is a semi free country, your
beliefs and personal ethics should not be forced on others,, your not
forcing them here, your just stating what you feel is right,

but

These people are not breaking the laws, they believe differently than
you, and you should not condemn them for them following their own
ethics, and beliefs

> I DON'T have a problem at all with a
> using a single dog, such as a retriever, to point out, flush and retrieve
> birds. But I do have a problem when a pack of dogs are used to run down,
> surround, and trap an animal so that the so called hunter can walk up and
> shoot it.

This is the normal way animals are hunted in nature by wolves, african
wild dogs, lions, and other pack predators.

< Then listen to the guy tell me what a great hunt it was, when
> their dogs did all the hunting.

These hunters take pleasure in the skill and abilities of their dogs,
many spend mouths and years training these dogs

> They are no more a hunter than a guy who
> uses dynamite, to catch fish, is a fisherman.

These hunters are never guarantied a successful hunt, many times the
animals escape

> If this individual was using one of these methods as the sole means to feed
> his family, I wouldn't have a problem it.

Hunting and fishing are now more sport than for survival, of course that
is why people like PETA want to stop it, they have a problem with you
hooking a poor fish,, do you want their ethics, and beliefs forced on
you, rarely are things banned all at once just one small step at a time,
what you want stopped would be one of those steps

> That includes using dynamite to
> catch fish. A man must do whatever is necessary to feed, cloth, shelter,
> and protect their family. But to call it fishing or hunting is a joke.
> With all our modern camo, scents, callers, gps, etc., do we really need to
> use dog packs to run down our prey.

Yes

> Yeah, I'm a moderate democrat - so I also believe a man only needs a
> shotgun, a long rifle, a bow, a good knife, and maybe a semi-auto handgun to
> hunt with and for protection. The weapons I have are for hunting, not for
> taking on an invading army. We have the police and military for that.

Your right to keep and bear arms have absolutely nothing to do with
hunting, they are for us as a people to keep our own government from
becoming tyrannical, The Germans thought as you do in 1933, Hitler's
first law was to make all non sporting arms illegal, the police and the
army would protect the people

Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon

> But, hey, I think it would be cool to use tranquilizer tarts to hunt with so
> that you could shoot that big deer, get your photo taken with it and then
> let it go. Catch & release hunting, because for me, it is the hunt that is
> the fun.

The technology is available for you to do just that,, why are you not
doing it ?

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Rodney
August 7th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Craig wrote:
> [...]

becoming tyrannical, The Germans thought as you do in 1933, Hitler's
first law was to make all non sporting arms illegal, the police and the
army would protect the people

Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon

> But, hey, I think it would be cool to use tranquilizer tarts to hunt with so
> that you could shoot that big deer, get your photo taken with it and then
> let it go. Catch & release hunting, because for me, it is the hunt that is
> the fun.

The technology is available for you to do just that,, why are you not
doing it ?

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator

alwaysfishking
August 7th, 2004, 04:47 PM
I could never get my fishing dogs to give the fish back. Once they got one
it was usually torn to shreds, made for lousy pictures, never mind the
overcrowding on the boat when I took the pack out ;-)

"TerryNC" > wrote in message
> That's the exact reason I don't have Fishing dogs ;-)
>
> "Craig" > wrote in message
> > I love fishing and hunting. There is nothing better than being out in
> > nature, enjoying her beauty and partaking in one of my favorite
> activities.
> > But. . . .
> >
> > I believe a fisherman takes only what is legal or whatever he and his
> family
> > will eat, whichever is the lesser of the two. I believe this also holds
> > true to hunters., and up to this point, I don't think anyone would
> disagree
> > with me.
> >
> > I just watched a program on hunting and became angry, as I do sometimes
> when
> > I watch deep sea fishing programs. I hate to see hunters use dogs, when
> the
> > dogs job is to run down the animal. I DON'T have a problem at all with
> > using a single dog, such as a retriever, to point out, flush and
retrieve
> > birds. But I do have a problem when a pack of dogs are used to run
down,
> > surround, and trap an animal so that the so called hunter can walk up
and
> > shoot it. Then listen to the guy tell me what a great hunt it was, when
> > their dogs did all the hunting. They are no more a hunter than a guy
who
> > uses dynamite, to catch fish, is a fisherman.
> >
> > If this individual was using one of these methods as the sole means to
> feed
> > his family, I wouldn't have a problem it. That includes using dynamite
> > catch fish. A man must do whatever is necessary to feed, cloth,
shelter,
> > and protect their family. But to call it fishing or hunting is a joke.
> > With all our modern camo, scents, callers, gps, etc., do we really need
> > use dog packs to run down our prey.
> >
> > Yeah, I'm a moderate democrat - so I also believe a man only needs a
> > shotgun, a long rifle, a bow, a good knife, and maybe a semi-auto
handgun
> > hunt with and for protection. The weapons I have are for hunting, not
for
> > taking on an invading army. We have the police and military for that.
> > But, hey, I think it would be cool to use tranquilizer tarts to hunt
with
> so
> > that you could shoot that big deer, get your photo taken with it and
then
> > let it go. Catch & release hunting, because for me, it is the hunt that
> is
> > the fun.
> >
> > --
> > Craig Baugher
> > Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

go-bassn
August 7th, 2004, 05:20 PM
"Rodney" > wrote in message

> Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon

oh, God. Just what I was afraid of Craig...

Warren

go-bassn
August 7th, 2004, 05:20 PM

"Rodney" > wrote in message

> Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon

oh, God. Just what I was afraid of Craig...

Warren

Rodney
August 7th, 2004, 05:40 PM
go-bassn wrote:

> "Rodney" > wrote in message
>

>>Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon
>

> oh, God. Just what I was afraid of Craig...
>
> Warren

WArren there are 3.5 million machine guns legally owned by private
citizens in the U.S. (more than the number that the US military has), I
bet you didn't know that,, and so far, since 1932, only one machine gun
that was legally owned by citizens has ever been used to kill anyone,
(even by accident) by that citizen, and that was an off duty policeman
who killed his wife with one back in the 50's

So high powered bass boats kill many more people than machine guns, yet
there are more machine guns owned, than high powered bass boats

Of course the left wing media, and the left wingers want no one to know
that, they "Believe" that people could not be trusted with that kind of
weapons

You see Warren, I deal in facts,, not beliefs, or feelings

So your fears are totally unfounded, you listen and believe people who
don't have a clue about the facts, or the don't care about them, or they
just twist them to fit their beliefs

--

go-bassn wrote:

> "Rodney" > wrote in message
>

>>Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon
>

> oh, God. Just what I was afraid of Craig...
>
> Warren

WArren there are 3.5 million machine guns legally owned by private
citizens in the U.S. (more than the number that the US military has), I
bet you didn't know that,, and so far, since 1932, only one machine gun
that was legally owned by citizens has ever been used to kill anyone,
(even by accident) by that citizen, and that was an off duty policeman
who killed his wife with one back in the 50's

So high powered bass boats kill many more people than machine guns, yet
there are more machine guns owned, than high powered bass boats

Of course the left wing media, and the left wingers want no one to know
that, they "Believe" that people could not be trusted with that kind of
weapons

You see Warren, I deal in facts,, not beliefs, or feelings

So your fears are totally unfounded, you listen and believe people who
don't have a clue about the facts, or the don't care about them, or they
just twist them to fit their beliefs

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

go-bassn
August 7th, 2004, 06:19 PM
"Rodney" > wrote in message
> So high powered bass boats kill many more people than machine guns

You're rolling Rodney, keep at it. I'm making a collection of your dribble,
it's a real laugh riot.

I'm gonna post your top-10 quotes at Christmas time, just to spread some
holiday cheer...

Warren

go-bassn
August 7th, 2004, 06:19 PM
"Rodney" > wrote in message
> So high powered bass boats kill many more people than machine guns

You're rolling Rodney, keep at it. I'm making a collection of your dribble,
it's a real laugh riot.

I'm gonna post your top-10 quotes at Christmas time, just to spread some
holiday cheer...

Warren

alwaysfishking
August 7th, 2004, 06:58 PM
I can see it now..

"On the first day of festivus Rodney dribbled out "Bass Boats are worse than
machine guns" and a Partridge in a pear tree LOL

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> "Rodney" > wrote in message
> > So high powered bass boats kill many more people than machine guns
>
> You're rolling Rodney, keep at it. I'm making a collection of your
dribble,
> it's a real laugh riot.
>
> I'm gonna post your top-10 quotes at Christmas time, just to spread some
> holiday cheer...
>
> Warren

TerryNC
August 7th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Mine sink like a rock-weiler ;-)

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message

> [...]
> > > shotgun, a long rifle, a bow, a good knife, and maybe a semi-auto
> handgun
> > > hunt with and for protection. The weapons I have are for hunting, not
> for
> > > taking on an invading army. We have the police and military for that.
> > > But, hey, I think it would be cool to use tranquilizer tarts to hunt
> with
> > so
> > > that you could shoot that big deer, get your photo taken with it and
> then
> > > let it go. Catch & release hunting, because for me, it is the hunt
that
> > is
> > > the fun.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Craig Baugher
> > > Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

Calif Bill
August 7th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I think both you and Warren are out of line. You treat Craig's comment with
respect and just because you do not care for Rodney, you slam and ridicule
his opinion. As to his opinion, it is much closer to the founders of this
country than yours. They put the 2nd amendment in the Constitution so
people had the ability to overthrow the government of this country, if
government became dictatorial and out of control. Maybe you ought to go
take a couple ov civics and history courses, as well as take an
introspective look and your own actions.
Bill

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message

> I can see it now..
>
> "On the first day of festivus Rodney dribbled out "Bass Boats are worse
than
> machine guns" and a Partridge in a pear tree LOL
> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > "Rodney" > wrote in message
> > > So high powered bass boats kill many more people than machine guns
> >
> > You're rolling Rodney, keep at it. I'm making a collection of your
> dribble,
> > it's a real laugh riot.
> >
> > I'm gonna post your top-10 quotes at Christmas time, just to spread some
> > holiday cheer...
> >
> > Warren

go-bassn
August 7th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Lol Bill, I disagree.

Warren

"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
link.net...
> I think both you and Warren are out of line. You treat Craig's comment
with
> respect and just because you do not care for Rodney, you slam and ridicule
> his opinion. As to his opinion, it is much closer to the founders of this
> country than yours. They put the 2nd amendment in the Constitution so
> people had the ability to overthrow the government of this country, if
> government became dictatorial and out of control. Maybe you ought to go
> take a couple ov civics and history courses, as well as take an
> introspective look and your own actions.
> Bill
>
> "alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> >

> > I can see it now..
> >
> > "On the first day of festivus Rodney dribbled out "Bass Boats are worse
> than
> > machine guns" and a Partridge in a pear tree LOL
> > >
> > > You're rolling Rodney, keep at it. I'm making a collection of your
> > dribble,
> > > it's a real laugh riot.
> > >
> > > I'm gonna post your top-10 quotes at Christmas time, just to spread
some
> > > holiday cheer...
> > >
> > > Warren

Craig
August 7th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Steve wrote, "If it weren't for the dogs, few of these hunts would be
possible. Due to
terrain, vegetation cover and the nature of the animal being hunted, without
dogs, success would be almost impossible."

Response: I say without a pack of dogs it would be more challenging and
rewarding. Wouldn't you agree?

Steve wrote, "Feral hogs or wild boars can be taken by spot & stalk or
stand/blind hunting, but the thick forest undergrowth that they lie up in
during the day means that you'd have to virtually kick them in the behinds
in order to find them, and speaking from first hand knowledge, even feral
hogs are not something to toy with. They're fast, mean, nasty and tasty
critters, but again, dogs make the hunts possible. People don't like the
idea of baiting for black bears, but again, the habitat that they prefer in
this part of the country eliminates the possibility of spot & stalk. So, if
baiting is "bad", how is a person to hunt black bears when seeing 50 yards
is a long distance? Big cats out west cover so much territory and are so
secretive that unless you have the same luck as a lottery winner, forget
hunting them unless you're willing to follow a pack of enthusiastic hounds."

Response: I say again, without a pack of dogs it would be more challenging
and rewarding.

Craig Originally wrote: "If this individual was using one of these methods
as the sole means to feed his family, I wouldn't have a problem it. That
includes using dynamite to catch fish."

Steve's response, "So, hunting to eat is all right, but hunting for sport,
recreation,
challenge, trophy and memories is wrong?

Response: I would have to agree with that statement. I do think killing an
animal for sport, recreation, or just for the challenge, trophy, or memories
is wrong. If you are NOT going to eat the animal and use it's skin, than it
is just a waste of life. Now you can enjoy the sport, challenge, trophy,
and memories of the animal you killed for food.

Steve's wrote, "You advocate game law violations because the fish are going
to be eaten? In these days of "social programs",there's no reason what so
ever for someone to violate game laws to feed a family. If someone has the
means to fish/hunt and to purchase fishing tackle/hunting equipment, that
means that they have some money and are
physically able to hold down a job."

Response: You're right, with all the social programs available today, an
individual wouldn't need to kill an animal out of season or by using an
unlawful means. So no I'm not advocating it, nor condoning it.

Craig originally wrote: "A man must do whatever is necessary to feed, cloth,
shelter,
> and protect their family."

Steve's response: "Based on that theory, liquor store robbery is ok?"

Response: I think we addressed that above, but no, any unlawful activity is
wrong.

Craig Originally wrote, "I also believe a man only needs a shotgun, a long
rifle, a bow, a good knife, and maybe a semi-auto handgun to hunt with and
for protection."

Steve's response: "Why so many weapons? Why not just limit it to a single
shotgun? You can hunt virtually everything on the North American continent
from game birds,
to squirrels, to deer, bears and moose with a single shotgun, a selection of
choke tubes, some bird shot and slugs. Plus, a shotgun is a great personal
defense weapon. Does this mean that because I have four different shotguns
(and still want
two more), three different rifles (and have seen a myriad of different
rifles that I could find a use for), two bows, two pistols, a muzzleloader
and more knives than you can shake a stick at, I'm some kind of whacko and
I'm wrong in your eyes?"

Response: You're right again, a shotgun is a mighty fine general purpose
weapon, and no I don't think you're a nut. Now if you told me you had
barrels of ammo, gas masks, a 50-cal., etc., I might wonder. I do know an
individual like this and he scares the hell out of me!!! The man is set for
war.

--
> [...]

defense weapon. Does this mean that because I have four different shotguns
(and still want
two more), three different rifles (and have seen a myriad of different
rifles that I could find a use for), two bows, two pistols, a muzzleloader
and more knives than you can shake a stick at, I'm some kind of whacko and
I'm wrong in your eyes?"

Response: You're right again, a shotgun is a mighty fine general purpose
weapon, and no I don't think you're a nut. Now if you told me you had
barrels of ammo, gas masks, a 50-cal., etc., I might wonder. I do know an
individual like this and he scares the hell out of me!!! The man is set for
war.

--
Craig Baugher
Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

August 7th, 2004, 11:50 PM
<snip>As to his opinion, it is much closer to the founders of this
> country than yours. "----Which opinion of mine? I'd like to know

<snip>They put the 2nd amendment in the Constitution so
> people had the ability to overthrow the government of this country, if
> government became dictatorial and out of control. Maybe you ought to go
> take a couple ov civics and history courses, as well as take an
> introspective look and your own actions.

An introspective look at my own actions? What actions might they be Bill?
And who are you to assume I have not taken civics or history courses?

Ahh the hell with it I'm going fishing. If I offended you or Rodney I
apologize. I forgot, this is not a place for a sense of humor. I'll save
that for The NWC. Hope to see you both there so we can just fish.

Best Regards,

alwaysfishking
August 7th, 2004, 11:50 PM
<snip>As to his opinion, it is much closer to the founders of this
> country than yours. "----Which opinion of mine? I'd like to know

<snip>They put the 2nd amendment in the Constitution so
> people had the ability to overthrow the government of this country, if
> government became dictatorial and out of control. Maybe you ought to go
> take a couple ov civics and history courses, as well as take an
> introspective look and your own actions.

An introspective look at my own actions? What actions might they be Bill?
And who are you to assume I have not taken civics or history courses?

Ahh the hell with it I'm going fishing. If I offended you or Rodney I
apologize. I forgot, this is not a place for a sense of humor. I'll save
that for The NWC. Hope to see you both there so we can just fish.

Best Regards,

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
August 8th, 2004, 12:47 AM
> Steve wrote, "If it weren't for the dogs, few of these hunts would be
> possible. Due to
> terrain, vegetation cover and the nature of the animal being hunted,
without
> dogs, success would be almost impossible."
>
> Response: I say without a pack of dogs it would be more challenging and
> rewarding. Wouldn't you agree?

***No I wouldn't agree. Tell me, do you find it more "challenging and
rewarding" to fish without a boat? Many people do bankfish daily, yet I
seem to remember a post by you recently complaining about your lack of a
boat.

> Steve wrote, "Feral hogs or wild boars can be taken by spot & stalk or
> stand/blind hunting, but the thick forest undergrowth that they lie up in
> during the day means that you'd have to virtually kick them in the behinds
> in order to find them, and speaking from first hand knowledge, even feral
> hogs are not something to toy with. They're fast, mean, nasty and tasty
> critters, but again, dogs make the hunts possible. People don't like the
> idea of baiting for black bears, but again, the habitat that they prefer
in
> this part of the country eliminates the possibility of spot & stalk. So,
if
> baiting is "bad", how is a person to hunt black bears when seeing 50 yards
> is a long distance? Big cats out west cover so much territory and are so
> secretive that unless you have the same luck as a lottery winner, forget
> hunting them unless you're willing to follow a pack of enthusiastic
hounds."

> Response: I say again, without a pack of dogs it would be more challenging
> and rewarding.

***About as rewarding as you'd find fishing without hooks. Sure, you can go
through the same motions, but without the hookup and fight of the fish,
would you find fishing as enjoyable? Exactly how much experience do you
have with the hunting sports?

> Craig Originally wrote: "If this individual was using one of these methods
> as the sole means to feed his family, I wouldn't have a problem it. That
> includes using dynamite to catch fish."
>
> Steve's response, "So, hunting to eat is all right, but hunting for sport,
> recreation,
> challenge, trophy and memories is wrong?
>
> Response: I would have to agree with that statement. I do think killing
an
> animal for sport, recreation, or just for the challenge, trophy, or
memories
> is wrong. If you are NOT going to eat the animal and use it's skin, than
it
> is just a waste of life. Now you can enjoy the sport, challenge, trophy,
> and memories of the animal you killed for food.

***What about catch and release fishing? That is being done strictly for
personal gratification and fish die in the process.

> Steve's wrote, "You advocate game law violations because the fish are
going
> to be eaten? In these days of "social programs",there's no reason what so
> ever for someone to violate game laws to feed a family. If someone has
the
> means to fish/hunt and to purchase fishing tackle/hunting equipment, that
> means that they have some money and are
> physically able to hold down a job."
>
> Response: You're right, with all the social programs available today, an
> individual wouldn't need to kill an animal out of season or by using an
> unlawful means. So no I'm not advocating it, nor condoning it.

***Your original quote "If this individual was using one of these methods as
the sole means to feed
his family, I wouldn't have a problem it." To me, unless you don't really
mean what you type, your statement means that you do condone it, however
tacit that approval is.

> Craig originally wrote: "A man must do whatever is necessary to feed,
cloth,
> shelter,
> > and protect their family."
>
> Steve's response: "Based on that theory, liquor store robbery is ok?"
>
> Response: I think we addressed that above, but no, any unlawful activity
is
> wrong.

***So then is unlawfully taking of fish and game, regardless of the reason.
Poaching of game animals involves breaking laws, just as robbing a liquor
store does. It's ok to break one law but not the other?

Craig, as I stated in my original reply, Sportsmen and women's lawful
outdoor activities are being attacked on all sides. Whether you agree with
a method of hunting or not, as long as it is legal in that region, there is
no reason to vilify the practice. There are some that think that bass are a
trash fish as as such, deserve no season or bag limit protection. I'm sure
you don't agree with that statement and would have your feathers ruffled if
someone said that to you. I don't hunt doves, at least not yet, but I'll
defend anyone's right to do so.

To the public, we as sportsmen need to present a united front to the anti's
and the uncommitted. To do otherwise is counter-productive to all
participating in the outdoors, whether you participate in the practice or
not.

Your personal opinion is just that, personal. To bring it to a public
forum, especially one grounded in an outdoor activity is a waste of
bandwidth.

To all others on the group, sorry, but I felt compelled to respond.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

RGarri7470
August 8th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon

> oh, God. Just what I was afraid of Craig...
>
> Warren
I have a AR-15 with a 40 round clip and an AK 47 with a 40 round clip here in
my room. Do you think they shoudl be taken away from me? If so, why?
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Fritz Nordengren
August 8th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Craig wrote:

> But, hey, I think it would be cool to use tranquilizer tarts to hunt with so
> that you could shoot that big deer, get your photo taken with it and then
> let it go. Catch & release hunting, because for me, it is the hunt that is
> the fun.

I think they call that nature photography.

go-bassn
August 8th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Ronnie, I don't care what you have in your house. That's your business.

I don't need some paranoid paramilitary idiot telling me what I should have
in mine.

Warren

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon
> >

> > oh, God. Just what I was afraid of Craig...
> >
> > Warren
> I have a AR-15 with a 40 round clip and an AK 47 with a 40 round clip here
in
> my room. Do you think they shoudl be taken away from me? If so, why?
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

go-bassn
August 8th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Ronnie, I don't care what you have in your house. That's your business.

I don't need some paranoid paramilitary idiot telling me what I should have
in mine.

Warren

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon
> >

> > oh, God. Just what I was afraid of Craig...
> >
> > Warren
> I have a AR-15 with a 40 round clip and an AK 47 with a 40 round clip here
in
> my room. Do you think they shoudl be taken away from me? If so, why?
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Fritz Nordengren
August 8th, 2004, 01:50 AM
taken from you? naw....some others that I know -- oh yeah, definately!
<grin>

RGarri7470 wrote:

> Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon
>

>>oh, God. Just what I was afraid of Craig...
>>
>>Warren
>
> I have a AR-15 with a 40 round clip and an AK 47 with a 40 round clip here in
> my room. Do you think they shoudl be taken away from me? If so, why?
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Rodney
August 8th, 2004, 02:10 AM
go-bassn wrote:

> Ronnie, I don't care what you have in your house. That's your business.
>
> I don't need some paranoid paramilitary idiot telling me what I should have
> in mine.
>
> Warren

Again you ASSUME

I don't own any assault weapons, I'm not into paramilitary crap, I
don't even personally know anyone who is, I'm not paranoid, I don't even
carry a knife, and I have an IQ of 186.

Statements were made that were not based on facts, I give the facts

WHo's the idiot ?

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Christopher P. Cericola
August 8th, 2004, 02:13 AM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
link.net...
< They put the 2nd amendment in the Constitution so people had the ability
to overthrow the government of this country, if government became
dictatorial and out of control. Maybe you ought to go take a couple ov
civics and history courses, as well as take an introspective look and your
own actions. >

If I may interrupt here...

First of all, I believe guns in the hand of citizens is no more dangerous
than cell phones in the hands of people. Personally, I think that people
have no need for fully automatic weapons but it's not my place to tell them
not to..

But let's get to my real point..

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

That is the exact quote of the 2nd amendment of the constituion. It's
purpose was very simple - to allow people the access to weapons in the
defense of the state. Let's think back to the minute men. That's where
this came from. People have often mistaken it's meaning and even misquoted
it for there needs..

Christopher

Rodney
August 8th, 2004, 02:17 AM
go-bassn wrote:

> "RGarri7470" > wrote in message
>
>>Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon

You are right though, I left out a word I meant "should be able to own"

I don't want anyone who does think he could be trusted with such a
firearm, to have one

The reason for the left out word is due to

I'm high as a kite, I've been on drugs since the middle of the week, I'm
trying to pass a 5 mm kidney stone, it's a wonder I'm even able to think
with the pain and the drugs,, but everything else in the post was correct

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

go-bassn
August 8th, 2004, 02:20 AM
First you say ">>Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic
military weapon",

then you say "> I don't own any assault weapons, I'm not into paramilitary
crap".

By your own logic you're either an idiot or an incapable dishonest citizen.

186, lol.

Warren

alwaysfishking
August 8th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Hey Fritz, ever try and hold a 8 point buck still for a picture? Wascally
wabbits.. Back to fishing
"Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message

> Craig wrote:
>

> > But, hey, I think it would be cool to use tranquilizer tarts to hunt
with so
> > that you could shoot that big deer, get your photo taken with it and
then
> > let it go. Catch & release hunting, because for me, it is the hunt that
is
> > the fun.
> >

> I think they call that nature photography.

Rodney
August 8th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Christopher P. Cericola wrote:

> But let's get to my real point..
>
> "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
> the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Everywhere else it says the right of the "state" when the framers meant
the state has that/any right, some think this means the "state" has the
right to keep arms for the people (national guard), nothing further from
the truth. WHen the framers meant the people, (individual) they said people.

> That is the exact quote of the 2nd amendment of the constituion. It's
> purpose was very simple - to allow people the access to weapons in the
> defense of the state. Let's think back to the minute men. That's where
> this came from. People have often mistaken it's meaning and even misquoted
> it for there needs..

This is 100 percent true, and the minute men used their personal weapons.

The only constitutional "right" to have firearms, to protect the Freedom
of a state/s, not for "hunting"

Here is another little known fact,, the shot fired, that was heard
around the world, was when the British were going to cross that bridge,
to confiscate the power, ball and arms, in the homes of the people of
Concord. The Minute men were defending their firearms, not their fishing
equipment, not even their lives, the British only wanted their guns,
they were not even going to arrest anyone, but coming after their guns
was the straw that broke the camel's back, they knew if they got them,
they could not defend themselves or state from the government (British
at that time)

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

go-bassn
August 8th, 2004, 03:22 AM
"Rodney" .> wrote in message

>>Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon
>>

> You are right though, I left out a word I meant "should be able to own"

I'm counting 3 words but, hey, I'm no 186 IQ...

....but I'm not high either lol.

Warren ;-)
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

Nikolay
August 8th, 2004, 03:26 AM
On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, RGarri7470 wrote:
> I have a AR-15 with a 40 round clip and an AK 47 with a 40 round clip here in
> my room. Do you think they shoudl be taken away from me? If so, why?
Yes, the AK47 should. If this is really 40 round clip, must be some
counterfeit and may be dangerous! (all of mine came with 30 round clips)
;-)

Rodney
August 8th, 2004, 05:42 AM
go-bassn wrote:

> I'm counting 3 words but, hey, I'm no 186 IQ...
>
> ...but I'm not high either lol.

I'm not high, I'm stoned , I think I'm stoned, if I didn't hurt so bad,
maybe I'd know, nope if I didn't hurt so bad , I would never take this
crap, how can anyone like this feeling ? but then again, I can stand the
buzz 3 beers gives me, 2, well, that's feels good, but three, that's
loosing too much control, and dulls the brain.
This 10 MG of Oxycodone is terrible

--

go-bassn wrote:

> I'm counting 3 words but, hey, I'm no 186 IQ...
>
> ...but I'm not high either lol.

I'm not high, I'm stoned , I think I'm stoned, if I didn't hurt so bad,
maybe I'd know, nope if I didn't hurt so bad , I would never take this
crap, how can anyone like this feeling ? but then again, I can stand the
buzz 3 beers gives me, 2, well, that's feels good, but three, that's
loosing too much control, and dulls the brain.
This 10 MG of Oxycodone is terrible

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

E. Carl Speros
August 8th, 2004, 01:05 PM

E. Carl Speros
August 8th, 2004, 01:05 PM

bill allemann
August 8th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Even a liberal fundamentalist should attempt to educate themselves a bit on
wildlife management practices.
In many areas of the country, deer in particular, geese, even turkey, need
to be harvested in order to
improve the general condition of the population. Since our urban sprawled
society in most areas can no longer
tolerate predators, the deer population, for instance, is overpopulated to a
degree that would cause two problems.
Firstly, mass starvation and disease are a direct result of overpopulation.
Secondly and more importantly, the flora of an
area suffers extreme and sometimes irreversible damage as a result of
overpopulation of browser species.
Maybe you would have rather see large squads of feds out there administering
politically correct birth control to the deer population? Sounds like a
Kerry platform issue, come to think of it.
I know plenty of hunters and it's darned rare to meet one with ego issues.
On the other hand, I know selfrighteous, politically correct types that
nearly all have ego problems.

Bill Allemann

>"E. Carl Speros" > wrote in message
>Sorry if that makes me a wimp, but
>I don't measure my manhood by how many innocent creatures I kill. (like
>Ted Nugent & Charleton Heston for instance.)

Rodney
August 8th, 2004, 04:13 PM
E. Carl Speros wrote:
I once was a member of the
> NRA, but when they came out against taking teflon bullets (whose only
> purpose was penetrating police body armor) off the market I sent them a
> nasty letter & go the hell out of NRA. Go Johnnies Go (Kerry & Edwards)

That was not the only reason for teflon bullets

Many of us reloads used them, it allowed us to shoot lead bullets at
jacked bullet velocities, reducing our cost to practice

The Anti gun nuts wanted everyone to think it was just to penetrate
police vest,, just so they could chip away at the guns and ammo.

Of course even if this was true, it would be another case of getting it
into the public eyes that guns are only for hunting, then like in
England, when they ban hunting, they can then ban guns

One day the peta people will get a law pasted where you can only catch
and release fish,, of course this would not upset you personally, but
this step would be another step to their final goal of stopping fishing
completly

One step at a time is the game plan of gun grabbers ,and animal rights
people

WE must unite to defend all our rights, we can't keep giving up a little
each year, at one point we will have none left,, Use your brains people.

If they outlaw personal water craft, this would make many here happy,
but that would be one step to outlawing high performance bass boats,
which would be a step to outlawing gas powered boats, you must look at
the final goals of these people, as they one step at a time you

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Budd Cochran
August 8th, 2004, 07:24 PM
AMEN!!!!

Budd

"Rodney" .> wrote in message
> E. Carl Speros wrote:
> I once was a member of the
> > NRA, but when they came out against taking teflon bullets (whose only
> > purpose was penetrating police body armor) off the market I sent them a
> > nasty letter & go the hell out of NRA. Go Johnnies Go (Kerry & Edwards)
>
> That was not the only reason for teflon bullets
>
> Many of us reloads used them, it allowed us to shoot lead bullets at
> jacked bullet velocities, reducing our cost to practice
>
> The Anti gun nuts wanted everyone to think it was just to penetrate
> police vest,, just so they could chip away at the guns and ammo.
>
> Of course even if this was true, it would be another case of getting it
> into the public eyes that guns are only for hunting, then like in
> England, when they ban hunting, they can then ban guns
>
> One day the peta people will get a law pasted where you can only catch
> and release fish,, of course this would not upset you personally, but
> this step would be another step to their final goal of stopping fishing
> completly
>
> One step at a time is the game plan of gun grabbers ,and animal rights
> people
>
> WE must unite to defend all our rights, we can't keep giving up a little
> each year, at one point we will have none left,, Use your brains people.
>
> If they outlaw personal water craft, this would make many here happy,
> but that would be one step to outlawing high performance bass boats,
> which would be a step to outlawing gas powered boats, you must look at
> the final goals of these people, as they one step at a time you
> >

> --
> Rodney Long,
> Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
> Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
> Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
> and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Budd Cochran
August 8th, 2004, 07:37 PM
"bill allemann" > wrote in message
> Even a liberal fundamentalist should attempt to educate themselves a bit
on
> wildlife management practices.

Then they would have to look at facts and not propaganda. If that happened,
they would learn a thing or twenty.

> In many areas of the country, deer in particular, geese, even turkey, need
> to be harvested in order to
> improve the general condition of the population. Since our urban sprawled
> society in most areas can no longer
> tolerate predators, the deer population, for instance, is overpopulated to
> degree that would cause two problems.
> Firstly, mass starvation and disease are a direct result of
overpopulation.

Several years ago, they had an open hunt on the grounds of the Air Force
Academy in Colorado Springs CO for these reasons. Of course, the animal
rights folks showed up in droves.

> Secondly and more importantly, the flora of an
> area suffers extreme and sometimes irreversible damage as a result of
> overpopulation of browser species.

That was another concern at the time. There were according to some "reports"
(sorry, unable to verify because of the tortuous reporting paths) of deer
being wounded because of animal rights activists disturbing the shots ... of
course, they then claimed it was the hunter's fault.

The fact is, from a personal friend that brought home a malnourished Mule
Deer, the animals were starving even though the last open hunt had only been
10 years previous.

> Maybe you would have rather see large squads of feds out there
administering
> politically correct birth control to the deer population? Sounds like a
> Kerry platform issue, come to think of it.

Don't give them any ideas, please (LOL) The U.S. was started by people
looking for less governmental involvement in their religious and private
lives.

> I know plenty of hunters and it's darned rare to meet one with ego issues.
> On the other hand, I know selfrighteous, politically correct types that
> nearly all have ego problems.
>
> Bill Allemann

I agree. I was only able to go deer hunting once, but the gentleman I went
with lost his ego and braggadacio when he stepped out of the truck and slung
the Model 94 over his shoulder. He was all business until we went home,
which, as you point out, is also foreign to many political candidates.

Budd

> >"E. Carl Speros" > wrote in message
> >Sorry if that makes me a wimp, but
> >I don't measure my manhood by how many innocent creatures I kill. (like
> >Ted Nugent & Charleton Heston for instance.)

RGarri7470
August 9th, 2004, 01:24 AM
>Ronnie, I don't care what you have in your house. That's your business.
>
>I don't need some paranoid paramilitary idiot telling me what I should have
>in mine.
>
>Warren
>

>"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
>> Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon
>> >

>> > oh, God. Just what I was afraid of Craig...
>> >
>> > Warren
>> I have a AR-15 with a 40 round clip and an AK 47 with a 40 round clip here
>in
>> my room. Do you think they shoudl be taken away from me? If so, why?
>> Ronnie

There I agree with you. I would never say everyone should have guns in their
house of any kind - if you don't want one, don't get one. Just don't tell me I
can't have some guns because they are ugly.

On a local TV news program there was a debate between the editorial page editor
of the Atlanta Consitution, who thinks all guns should be banned, and a gun
owner and radio talk show host. She stated the fear that a homeowner might have
a gun did not deter criminals. He sugested if she beleived that she should post
a big sign in front of her house saying "No guns in this house, no guns allowed
here." She declined.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

RGarri7470
August 9th, 2004, 01:24 AM
>Ronnie, I don't care what you have in your house. That's your business.
>
>I don't need some paranoid paramilitary idiot telling me what I should have
>in mine.
>
>Warren
>

>"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
>> Every capable honest citizen should own a full automatic military weapon
>> >

>> > oh, God. Just what I was afraid of Craig...
>> >
>> > Warren
>> I have a AR-15 with a 40 round clip and an AK 47 with a 40 round clip here
>in
>> my room. Do you think they shoudl be taken away from me? If so, why?
>> Ronnie

There I agree with you. I would never say everyone should have guns in their
house of any kind - if you don't want one, don't get one. Just don't tell me I
can't have some guns because they are ugly.

On a local TV news program there was a debate between the editorial page editor
of the Atlanta Consitution, who thinks all guns should be banned, and a gun
owner and radio talk show host. She stated the fear that a homeowner might have
a gun did not deter criminals. He sugested if she beleived that she should post
a big sign in front of her house saying "No guns in this house, no guns allowed
here." She declined.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

RGarri7470
August 9th, 2004, 01:30 AM
"I once was a member of the
NRA, but when they came out against taking teflon bullets (whose only
purpose was penetrating police body armor) off the market I sent them a
nasty letter & go the hell out of NRA. Go Johnnies Go (Kerry & Edwards)"

The bill you mention would have banned all bullets capable of penetration
police body armor - which includes all center fire rifle ammo, not just teflon
coated bullets.. It is fine if you don't want to kill bambi, but I do - with my
center fire rifle. Teddy Kennedy just introduced that bill again this past
session - and we defeated it again.

And I agree about the johnnies going - but I suspect I want the Johnnies to go
to a different place than you do.

[...]

August 9th, 2004, 01:33 AM
>Yeah, I'm a moderate democrat - so I also believe a man only needs a
>shotgun, a long rifle, a bow, a good knife, and maybe a semi-auto handgun to
>hunt with and for protection.

Yep, typical “moderate” democrat - condems everyone that does not conform
to his prejudices. Isn’t it strange how
democrats are “moderate” but republicans are “extreme right wing
conserative ideologs.”
Craig - don’t take this personally, get mad and leave forever - again.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

RGarri7470
August 9th, 2004, 01:33 AM
>Yeah, I'm a moderate democrat - so I also believe a man only needs a
>shotgun, a long rifle, a bow, a good knife, and maybe a semi-auto handgun to
>hunt with and for protection.

Yep, typical “moderate” democrat - condems everyone that does not conform
to his prejudices. Isn’t it strange how
democrats are “moderate” but republicans are “extreme right wing
conserative ideologs.”
Craig - don’t take this personally, get mad and leave forever - again.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Craig
August 9th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Actually Ronnie, I had to register for one party or the other. Since I was
voting for the democrat that year, I became a democrat. But I vote for whom
I feel best represents my point of view, sometimes that democrat and
sometimes republican. But this election I will be voting democrat. Not
that I think Kerry is all that, but Bush has to go! If John McCain was
running, I would vote for him for sure!

--
Craig Baugher
Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

Craig
August 9th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Actually Ronnie, I had to register for one party or the other. Since I was
voting for the democrat that year, I became a democrat. But I vote for whom
I feel best represents my point of view, sometimes that democrat and
sometimes republican. But this election I will be voting democrat. Not
that I think Kerry is all that, but Bush has to go! If John McCain was
running, I would vote for him for sure!

--
Craig Baugher
Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

Calif Bill
August 9th, 2004, 08:01 AM
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> <snip>As to his opinion, it is much closer to the founders of this
> > country than yours. "----Which opinion of mine? I'd like to know
>

> <snip>They put the 2nd amendment in the Constitution so
> > people had the ability to overthrow the government of this country, if
> > government became dictatorial and out of control. Maybe you ought to go
> > take a couple ov civics and history courses, as well as take an
> > introspective look and your own actions.
>

> An introspective look at my own actions? What actions might they be
Bill?
> And who are you to assume I have not taken civics or history courses?

The actions of trashing someone's opinion that you do not like as a person.
Maybe your Civics/ history class was not very complete. But I am from the
50's and we seem to have less political correctness, and more learning.

> Ahh the hell with it I'm going fishing. If I offended you or Rodney I
> apologize. I forgot, this is not a place for a sense of humor. I'll save
> that for The NWC. Hope to see you both there so we can just fish.
>

> Best Regards,

The NWC is always in a place that is expensive to fly to from the West
Coast. The Okeechobee was a big enticement for me, but the timing was
wrong. Southwest Air had 200 RT fare for Orlando. Also the fall tourneys
are out as I am going to be in Italy.
Bill

Calif Bill
August 9th, 2004, 08:01 AM
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> <snip>As to his opinion, it is much closer to the founders of this
> > country than yours. "----Which opinion of mine? I'd like to know
>

> <snip>They put the 2nd amendment in the Constitution so
> > people had the ability to overthrow the government of this country, if
> > government became dictatorial and out of control. Maybe you ought to go
> > take a couple ov civics and history courses, as well as take an
> > introspective look and your own actions.
>

> An introspective look at my own actions? What actions might they be
Bill?
> And who are you to assume I have not taken civics or history courses?

The actions of trashing someone's opinion that you do not like as a person.
Maybe your Civics/ history class was not very complete. But I am from the
50's and we seem to have less political correctness, and more learning.

> Ahh the hell with it I'm going fishing. If I offended you or Rodney I
> apologize. I forgot, this is not a place for a sense of humor. I'll save
> that for The NWC. Hope to see you both there so we can just fish.
>

> Best Regards,

The NWC is always in a place that is expensive to fly to from the West
Coast. The Okeechobee was a big enticement for me, but the timing was
wrong. Southwest Air had 200 RT fare for Orlando. Also the fall tourneys
are out as I am going to be in Italy.
Bill

Calif Bill
August 9th, 2004, 08:12 AM
First, do not post in Html. Bad mojo. As to the Johnies, I and I thnk most
other people in this country dislike them as well as George. To bad we have
a "None of the Above" on the ballot, and have another election, with
different people.

"E. Carl Speros" > wrote in message
You are the man. & You are preaching to the choir. I'm somewhat
handicapped so that I can walk, but not very far. (asthma & now
arthritis. I loved squirrrel huting because you can sit & wait on them,
but I always had that twinge of regret at killing them. I went for deer
once & sat with my 35 Remington teling the deer not to show up. They
must have heard me because none showed up. (LOL) I love shooting, (I am
a Civil War buff & reenactor & member of the NSSA skirmishers from the
fighting 69th N. Y. & attend national skirmisjes (black powder CW unit
musket etc. competitions, but it's catch & relrase fishing & I'll never
again kill ananimal for my ego's sake. If I needed to hunt to live, I'd
do so & regret it each time I did so. Sorry if that makes me a wimp, but
I don't measure my manhood by how many innocent creatures I kill. (like
Ted Nugent & Charleton Heston for instance.) I once was a member of the
[...]

December 7th, 2004, 12:02 PM
http://www.ardice.com/Science/Biology/Flora_and_Fauna/Animalia/Chordata/Mammalia/Carnivora/Canidae/African_Wild_Dog/