PDA

View Full Version : Product Review Zoom Horny Toad/Report

alwaysfishking
August 8th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Went to the big lake with Dave, we fished for about three hours, me using his hair on a jig and him using the best there was to offer from wal-mart for crappies, His hair won yet again, landing some real nice crappies and a really big perch.

After Dave left I loaded the boat and head over to the small lake to try out the zoom horny toad. The small lake has lots of lilly pads, so I figure good place for the frog, I was immediately hit and went to set the hook only to have the frog fly back at me. Dam, sent it out all over, just working the edges of the pads. I wnd up catching 2 good fish and missing 5 more!!! What the hell, I check the hook it's fine sharp as a razor, so I pop the frog off and toss a speed worm on, 4 fish in a row around the pads, not a missed fish in the group. Back to the frog and a massive hit by the beaver dam, I set the hook and the fish rips line from my reel, only to come un-buttoned. I was using a 4/0ewg gammy, but these frogs are thick. I might have to switch to a 5/0 and see if it makes a difference for me. Too many missed fish for my liking, but the horny toad will stay in my box for the time being. They are simply awesome looking in the water and much like the speedworm can be fished in a variety of ways. I posted some pictures on a.b.p.f.

Bob La Londe
August 8th, 2004, 05:31 PM
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message ...
[...]

*************
I have been told by more than one person including one local pro that when you start fishing frogs you have to figure you are going to see a lot of explosions without getting a hookup. I haven't thrown a frog in a long time, but that was my experience as well.

Maybe one in three would hook up. Often when the smashed frog landed floating in an open water pocket it would get hit again.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

John Kerr
August 8th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Try a couple trailer hooks rigged trhough the legs.
JK
======
Product Review Zoom Horny Toad/Report

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Sun, Aug 8, 2004, 4:03pm (CDT+5)

From: (alwaysfishking)
Product Review Zoom Horny Toad/Report Group:
rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Sun, Aug 8, 2004, 4:03pm (CDT+5) From:
(alwaysfishking)

go-bassn
August 9th, 2004, 03:35 AM
I'm told to use a 5/0 ewg Randy. Mine just came, they're definately interesting looking. I'll try them out Wed in pre-practice on the Hudson.

I was looking over the list for the Open next week, found it interesting that the Australian gal that was broadcasting the Classic (Kim Bain) is fishing in the Open.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com