PDA

View Full Version : Teifi Fishing????

D.S.Wheeley
August 9th, 2004, 02:02 PM
I know it has not been fishing well recently due to a lack of water.
Planning a trip 21/22 of August just wanted to check if fishing has improved
with the rain that we have had.

Regards

Darren

W. D. Grey
August 9th, 2004, 02:47 PM
In article >, D.S.Wheeley
> writes
>
>I know it has not been fishing well recently due to a lack of water.
>Planning a trip 21/22 of August just wanted to check if fishing has improved
>with the rain that we have had.
>
>Regards
>
>Darren

If the Teifi is anything like the Tawe - forget it for now. Maybe when
you want to go we shall have had a drop of rain. :-(

Last night's rain has had no effect whatsoever. The river (Tawe) is
still extremely low.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

W. D. Grey
August 9th, 2004, 02:47 PM
In article >, D.S.Wheeley
> writes
>
>I know it has not been fishing well recently due to a lack of water.
>Planning a trip 21/22 of August just wanted to check if fishing has improved
>with the rain that we have had.
>
>Regards
>
>Darren

If the Teifi is anything like the Tawe - forget it for now. Maybe when
you want to go we shall have had a drop of rain. :-(

Last night's rain has had no effect whatsoever. The river (Tawe) is
still extremely low.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

james.willsden
August 9th, 2004, 10:06 PM
"D.S.Wheeley" > wrote in message

> I know it has not been fishing well recently due to a lack of water.
> Planning a trip 21/22 of August just wanted to check if fishing has
improved
> with the rain that we have had.
>
> Regards
>
> Darren
>
> Hi
I have fished the Teifi for quite a few years, quite honestly as it's very
much a spate river, I personally would never plan a visit that far ahead.
The only time to seriously catch fish is when the river has been running
bank high, and dropping with a spinner - (or worm) - fly tends not to be
productive. I prefer fly, but somehow fishing heavily coloured fast flowing
water to me is not enjoyable. Admittedly the sea trout will take - mainly at
night on a warm humid night.Regarding native browns - I have only ever
caught sizeable fish the feeder streams. This year I am giving the Coquet
and Till a try - 3 hours driving time closer!.
Regards
Mike

james.willsden
August 9th, 2004, 10:06 PM
"D.S.Wheeley" > wrote in message

> I know it has not been fishing well recently due to a lack of water.
> Planning a trip 21/22 of August just wanted to check if fishing has
improved
> with the rain that we have had.
>
> Regards
>
> Darren
>
> Hi
I have fished the Teifi for quite a few years, quite honestly as it's very
much a spate river, I personally would never plan a visit that far ahead.
The only time to seriously catch fish is when the river has been running
bank high, and dropping with a spinner - (or worm) - fly tends not to be
productive. I prefer fly, but somehow fishing heavily coloured fast flowing
water to me is not enjoyable. Admittedly the sea trout will take - mainly at
night on a warm humid night.Regarding native browns - I have only ever
caught sizeable fish the feeder streams. This year I am giving the Coquet
and Till a try - 3 hours driving time closer!.
Regards
Mike

D.S.Wheeley
August 10th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks for that advice, will see how much water is in the river closer to
the time. Any ideas on what flies are good on the Teifi at this time of year
fro the sea trout. An what type of spinners (red and silver Mepps and Flying
C's) is what I have been advised.

"james.willsden" > wrote in message

> "D.S.Wheeley" > wrote in message
> >
> > I know it has not been fishing well recently due to a lack of water.
> > Planning a trip 21/22 of August just wanted to check if fishing has
> improved
> > with the rain that we have had.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Darren
> >
> > Hi
> I have fished the Teifi for quite a few years, quite honestly as it's very
> much a spate river, I personally would never plan a visit that far ahead.
> The only time to seriously catch fish is when the river has been running
> bank high, and dropping with a spinner - (or worm) - fly tends not to be
> productive. I prefer fly, but somehow fishing heavily coloured fast
flowing
> water to me is not enjoyable. Admittedly the sea trout will take - mainly
at
> night on a warm humid night.Regarding native browns - I have only ever
> caught sizeable fish the feeder streams. This year I am giving the Coquet
> and Till a try - 3 hours driving time closer!.
> Regards
> Mike

D.S.Wheeley
August 10th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks for that advice, will see how much water is in the river closer to
the time. Any ideas on what flies are good on the Teifi at this time of year
fro the sea trout. An what type of spinners (red and silver Mepps and Flying
C's) is what I have been advised.

"james.willsden" > wrote in message

> "D.S.Wheeley" > wrote in message
> >
> > I know it has not been fishing well recently due to a lack of water.
> > Planning a trip 21/22 of August just wanted to check if fishing has
> improved
> > with the rain that we have had.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Darren
> >
> > Hi
> I have fished the Teifi for quite a few years, quite honestly as it's very
> much a spate river, I personally would never plan a visit that far ahead.
> The only time to seriously catch fish is when the river has been running
> bank high, and dropping with a spinner - (or worm) - fly tends not to be
> productive. I prefer fly, but somehow fishing heavily coloured fast
flowing
> water to me is not enjoyable. Admittedly the sea trout will take - mainly
at
> night on a warm humid night.Regarding native browns - I have only ever
> caught sizeable fish the feeder streams. This year I am giving the Coquet
> and Till a try - 3 hours driving time closer!.
> Regards
> Mike

james.willsden
August 12th, 2004, 10:29 PM
"D.S.Wheeley" > wrote in message
> Thanks for that advice, will see how much water is in the river closer to
> the time. Any ideas on what flies are good on the Teifi at this time of
year
> fro the sea trout. An what type of spinners (red and silver Mepps and
Flying
> C's) is what I have been advised.
>
> "james.willsden" > wrote in message
> >
> > "D.S.Wheeley" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > I know it has not been fishing well recently due to a lack of water.
> > > Planning a trip 21/22 of August just wanted to check if fishing has
> > improved
> > > with the rain that we have had.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Darren
> > >
> > > Hi
> > I have fished the Teifi for quite a few years, quite honestly as it's
very
> > much a spate river, I personally would never plan a visit that far
ahead.
> > The only time to seriously catch fish is when the river has been running
> > bank high, and dropping with a spinner - (or worm) - fly tends not to be
> > productive. I prefer fly, but somehow fishing heavily coloured fast
> flowing
> > water to me is not enjoyable. Admittedly the sea trout will take -
mainly
> at
> > night on a warm humid night.Regarding native browns - I have only ever
> > caught sizeable fish the feeder streams. This year I am giving the
Coquet
> > and Till a try - 3 hours driving time closer!.
> > Regards
> > Mike

Hi Again
To be honest I refuse to spend anything over a couple of quid on spinners
etc. I have caught on plain simple cheap Mepps - same with fly . If you know
the main fish lies, I honestly believe (with salmon ) that given the right
conditions, anything be it fly or spinner with a "flash" will induce the
fish to grab. Though I must admit the same theory does not seem to apply to
Sewin. One hot summer day, with the river almost as low as I have ever seen
it, I fished with a very small gold head green/black Montana - 2nd cast a
fresh run 8 lb was taken. ( That was on the lower stretch before the main
pool at Stradmore Gardens) - I rest my case!
Regards
Mike
!

james.willsden
August 12th, 2004, 10:29 PM
"D.S.Wheeley" > wrote in message
> Thanks for that advice, will see how much water is in the river closer to
> the time. Any ideas on what flies are good on the Teifi at this time of
year
> fro the sea trout. An what type of spinners (red and silver Mepps and
Flying
> C's) is what I have been advised.
>
> "james.willsden" > wrote in message
> >
> > "D.S.Wheeley" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > I know it has not been fishing well recently due to a lack of water.
> > > Planning a trip 21/22 of August just wanted to check if fishing has
> > improved
> > > with the rain that we have had.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Darren
> > >
> > > Hi
> > I have fished the Teifi for quite a few years, quite honestly as it's
very
> > much a spate river, I personally would never plan a visit that far
ahead.
> > The only time to seriously catch fish is when the river has been running
> > bank high, and dropping with a spinner - (or worm) - fly tends not to be
> > productive. I prefer fly, but somehow fishing heavily coloured fast
> flowing
> > water to me is not enjoyable. Admittedly the sea trout will take -
mainly
> at
> > night on a warm humid night.Regarding native browns - I have only ever
> > caught sizeable fish the feeder streams. This year I am giving the
Coquet
> > and Till a try - 3 hours driving time closer!.
> > Regards
> > Mike

Hi Again
To be honest I refuse to spend anything over a couple of quid on spinners
etc. I have caught on plain simple cheap Mepps - same with fly . If you know
the main fish lies, I honestly believe (with salmon ) that given the right
conditions, anything be it fly or spinner with a "flash" will induce the
fish to grab. Though I must admit the same theory does not seem to apply to
Sewin. One hot summer day, with the river almost as low as I have ever seen
it, I fished with a very small gold head green/black Montana - 2nd cast a
fresh run 8 lb was taken. ( That was on the lower stretch before the main
pool at Stradmore Gardens) - I rest my case!
Regards
Mike
!

W. D. Grey
August 13th, 2004, 09:42 AM
In article >, james.willsden
> writes
>Hi Again
>To be honest I refuse to spend anything over a couple of quid on spinners
>etc. I have caught on plain simple cheap Mepps - same with fly .

I don't fish for salmon, but using my pal's kit, I caught my one and
only salmon on a # 2 Mepps while trying for trout. (I was fully licensed
of course)

The Mepp was really a bit big for trout, but as his rod was rated 8 to
30 grammes, the # 2 was the lightest Mepp I could cast.

BTW the salmon weighed 9 1/2 lbs
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

W. D. Grey
August 13th, 2004, 09:42 AM
In article >, james.willsden
> writes
>Hi Again
>To be honest I refuse to spend anything over a couple of quid on spinners
>etc. I have caught on plain simple cheap Mepps - same with fly .

I don't fish for salmon, but using my pal's kit, I caught my one and
only salmon on a # 2 Mepps while trying for trout. (I was fully licensed
of course)

The Mepp was really a bit big for trout, but as his rod was rated 8 to
30 grammes, the # 2 was the lightest Mepp I could cast.

BTW the salmon weighed 9 1/2 lbs
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

W. D. Grey
August 13th, 2004, 09:43 AM
In article >, D.S.Wheeley
> writes
>Thanks for that advice, will see how much water is in the river closer to
>the time. Any ideas on what flies are good on the Teifi at this time of year
>fro the sea trout. An what type of spinners (red and silver Mepps and Flying
>C's) is what I have been advised.

Things are improving slightly on the Tawe - lots of rain yesterday and
overnight last night.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

W. D. Grey
August 13th, 2004, 09:43 AM
In article >, D.S.Wheeley
> writes
>Thanks for that advice, will see how much water is in the river closer to
>the time. Any ideas on what flies are good on the Teifi at this time of year
>fro the sea trout. An what type of spinners (red and silver Mepps and Flying
>C's) is what I have been advised.

Things are improving slightly on the Tawe - lots of rain yesterday and
overnight last night.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Dave Lane
August 13th, 2004, 11:24 AM
In message >
"W. D. Grey" > wrote:

> In article >, james.willsden
> > writes
> >Hi Again
> >To be honest I refuse to spend anything over a couple of quid on spinners
> >etc. I have caught on plain simple cheap Mepps - same with fly .
>
> I don't fish for salmon, but using my pal's kit, I caught my one and
> only salmon on a # 2 Mepps while trying for trout. (I was fully licensed
> of course)

what were you trying to do Bill, knock it on the head???

> The Mepp was really a bit big for trout, but as his rod was rated 8 to
> 30 grammes, the # 2 was the lightest Mepp I could cast.

you could always try putting a weight onto a swivel about 18" up from
a smaller spinner....

the mepps is very popular here on the Ogwen.... but they think I'm being
old fashioned by preferring a downstream devon minnow, swinging it across..
works for me though.... :+)))

cheers all,

...A trampoline is for cunning stunts, a truncheon for apprehending criminals

Dave Lane
August 13th, 2004, 11:24 AM
In message >
"W. D. Grey" > wrote:

> In article >, james.willsden
> > writes
> >Hi Again
> >To be honest I refuse to spend anything over a couple of quid on spinners
> >etc. I have caught on plain simple cheap Mepps - same with fly .
>
> I don't fish for salmon, but using my pal's kit, I caught my one and
> only salmon on a # 2 Mepps while trying for trout. (I was fully licensed
> of course)

what were you trying to do Bill, knock it on the head???

> The Mepp was really a bit big for trout, but as his rod was rated 8 to
> 30 grammes, the # 2 was the lightest Mepp I could cast.

you could always try putting a weight onto a swivel about 18" up from
a smaller spinner....

the mepps is very popular here on the Ogwen.... but they think I'm being
old fashioned by preferring a downstream devon minnow, swinging it across..
works for me though.... :+)))

cheers all,

...A trampoline is for cunning stunts, a truncheon for apprehending criminals

W. D. Grey
August 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM
In article >, Dave Lane
> writes
>> I don't fish for salmon, but using my pal's kit, I caught my one and
>> only salmon on a # 2 Mepps while trying for trout. (I was fully licensed
>> of course)
>>

> what were you trying to do Bill, knock it on the head???

Yeah! I missed its head and hit its mouth :-)

>> The Mepp was really a bit big for trout, but as his rod was rated 8 to
>> 30 grammes, the # 2 was the lightest Mepp I could cast.
>
> you could always try putting a weight onto a swivel about 18" up from
> a smaller spinner....

Agreed, but it wasn't my kit, and Cliff (you met him at Llandegfedd)
didn't come equipped for such sophisticated angling methods :-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

W. D. Grey
August 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM
In article >, Dave Lane
> writes
>> I don't fish for salmon, but using my pal's kit, I caught my one and
>> only salmon on a # 2 Mepps while trying for trout. (I was fully licensed
>> of course)
>>

> what were you trying to do Bill, knock it on the head???

Yeah! I missed its head and hit its mouth :-)

>> The Mepp was really a bit big for trout, but as his rod was rated 8 to
>> 30 grammes, the # 2 was the lightest Mepp I could cast.
>
> you could always try putting a weight onto a swivel about 18" up from
> a smaller spinner....

Agreed, but it wasn't my kit, and Cliff (you met him at Llandegfedd)
didn't come equipped for such sophisticated angling methods :-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

pete devlin
August 14th, 2004, 09:12 PM
In message >, D.S.Wheeley
> writes
>I know it has not been fishing well recently due to a lack of water.
>Planning a trip 21/22 of August just wanted to check if fishing has
>improved with the rain that we have had.

Just back from that part of the world and there was next to no rain
really. When the rest of Britain was under water and pushing up house
insurance again, I was on the beach sunbathing. When I did go fishing I
managed to blank on Dinas. :O(
--
Pete Devlin
A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.

pete devlin
August 14th, 2004, 09:12 PM
In message >, D.S.Wheeley