PDA

View Full Version : Slider Fishin' by Charlie Brewer.

CR
November 10th, 2003, 03:46 PM
I just read Slider Fishin' and I found it to be really interesting. I
like the way he really tells you exactly what to do in precise detail.
I have a question. He talks about rhythm being really important during
your retrieve. He says if you are retrieving your lure at 1 crank
every 3 seconds you should maintain that speed the whole retrieve. I'm
assuming he also means that if you are doing a lift and drop retrieve
you should do it consistently. This advice seems to contradict what
I've read in other books. Most other's seem to recommend a varied
retrieve. The funny thing is that in my experience a rhythmic retrieve
does work.

Any comments?

Chuck.

RGarri7470
November 10th, 2003, 04:28 PM
>This advice seems to contradict what
>I've read in other books. Most other's seem to recommend a varied
>retrieve.

I have been fishing sliders since the early 80s when I read his book and it is
different. I never retrieve anything with a steady motion EXCEPT sliders, and
maybe drop shot, which is really fished still. I want the slider to look like
a minnow easing along, not necessarily a hurt baitfish struggling. In fact, I
catch most of my fish on sliders as it sinks on a tight line, with no retrieve
at all.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

go-bassn
November 10th, 2003, 06:14 PM
There's no rules or standard retrieve for any bass lure, just try everything
& let the fish tell you what they like. There's no difference between a
Slider & any other straight tail finesse worm, though the Slider is one of
the originals.

Warren

"CR" > wrote in message
m...
> I just read Slider Fishin' and I found it to be really interesting. I
> like the way he really tells you exactly what to do in precise detail.
> I have a question. He talks about rhythm being really important during
> your retrieve. He says if you are retrieving your lure at 1 crank
> every 3 seconds you should maintain that speed the whole retrieve. I'm
> assuming he also means that if you are doing a lift and drop retrieve
> you should do it consistently. This advice seems to contradict what
> I've read in other books. Most other's seem to recommend a varied
> retrieve. The funny thing is that in my experience a rhythmic retrieve
> does work.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Chuck.

John Kerr
November 10th, 2003, 07:05 PM
I have always experimented with the retieve. If I am sure the fish are
there, I try and figure out how to "trick" em. <g> But my experience has
been that my best hook ups have come within seconds of the intial
presentation....I don't turn down the ones that do follow it to the boat
though <g>!
JK

CR
November 10th, 2003, 09:54 PM
(John Kerr) wrote in message >...
> I have always experimented with the retieve. If I am sure the fish are
> there, I try and figure out how to "trick" em. <g> But my experience has
> been that my best hook ups have come within seconds of the intial
> presentation....I don't turn down the ones that do follow it to the boat
> though <g>!

Sometimes when I'm worm fishing if I don't get a hit on the initial
drop I'll just reel it back in. Since 90% of my hits come on that drop
it almost seems like I'm wasting my time after that.

CR
November 10th, 2003, 10:00 PM
(RGarri7470) wrote in message >...
> >This advice seems to contradict what
> >I've read in other books. Most other's seem to recommend a varied
> >retrieve.
>
> I have been fishing sliders since the early 80s when I read his book and it is
> different. I never retrieve anything with a steady motion EXCEPT sliders, and
> maybe drop shot, which is really fished still. I want the slider to look like
> a minnow easing along, not necessarily a hurt baitfish struggling.

I like the way he says all that extra action may look good to you but
not the fish.

>In fact, I catch most of my fish on sliders as it sinks on a tight
>line,with no retrieve at all.

Same here. Sometimes I don't even bother trying after the worm hits
the bottom. Just reel it in and do it over.

CR
November 10th, 2003, 10:14 PM
"go-bassn" > wrote in message >...

> There's no rules or standard retrieve for any bass lure, just try everything
> & let the fish tell you what they like. There's no difference between a
> Slider & any other straight tail finesse worm, though the Slider is one of
> the originals.

I agree there's no set way, but if you can eliminate things you can
save yourself a lot of time. For example suppose I'm fishing a
spinnerbait. I can try a slow, medium and fast steady retrieve. Then I
can try a slow, medium, and fast stop and go retrieve. That would just
about cover all the rhythmic retrieves. Now if you have to try varying
your retrieve you have almost infinite combinations left to try. Start
off slow, switch to fast, then stop and go. Stop and go, slow, then
medium.

Maybe I'm thinking too much about this... :)

RichZ
November 10th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Cr wrote:
> Sometimes when I'm worm fishing if I don't get a hit on the initial
> drop I'll just reel it back in. Since 90% of my hits come on that drop
> it almost seems like I'm wasting my time after that.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Since you retreive it following the initial drop, you leave them precious
little opportunity to hit it at any other point. To me, a worm or jig is
far to valuable an information gathering probe to waste my time reeling it
straight in when I could be learning information about bottom contour,
content and cover that will help me catch more fish in the long run.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Dave Norton
November 10th, 2003, 11:35 PM
There may be little difference in the plastics, but there can be a world of
difference in the jig-heads. The Slider jig head is indeed different from
what is usually used.

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods
"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> There's no rules or standard retrieve for any bass lure, just try
everything
> & let the fish tell you what they like. There's no difference between a
> Slider & any other straight tail finesse worm, though the Slider is one of
> the originals.
>
> Warren
>
> "CR" > wrote in message
> m...
> > I just read Slider Fishin' and I found it to be really interesting. I
> > like the way he really tells you exactly what to do in precise detail.
> > I have a question. He talks about rhythm being really important during
> > your retrieve. He says if you are retrieving your lure at 1 crank
> > every 3 seconds you should maintain that speed the whole retrieve. I'm
> > assuming he also means that if you are doing a lift and drop retrieve
> > you should do it consistently. This advice seems to contradict what
> > I've read in other books. Most other's seem to recommend a varied
> > retrieve. The funny thing is that in my experience a rhythmic retrieve
> > does work.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >
> > Chuck.

Chris Jones
November 11th, 2003, 02:07 AM
Rich you hit the nail on the head there my friend!
"RichZ" > wrote in message
> Cr wrote:
> > Sometimes when I'm worm fishing if I don't get a hit on the initial
> > drop I'll just reel it back in. Since 90% of my hits come on that drop
> > it almost seems like I'm wasting my time after that.
> >

> Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
>
> Since you retreive it following the initial drop, you leave them precious
> little opportunity to hit it at any other point. To me, a worm or jig is
> far to valuable an information gathering probe to waste my time reeling it
> straight in when I could be learning information about bottom contour,
> content and cover that will help me catch more fish in the long run.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

go-bassn
November 11th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Not at all CR, just remember - if you're not showing the right retrieve to a
bass, it's still the right retrieve.

Warren ;-)

om...