PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 160 FF on the fritz

SHREDİ
August 11th, 2004, 04:26 AM
It doesn't display the depth (numerical box) and the chart does not show, no
scrolling, nothing.
In the depth box the blinking lines just continue on as if it is warming up.

The water temp works.

I know it's a long shot but maybe one of you had this problem with your
Garmin 160 and could give me ideas if it is in the unit, cable, or
transducer.
I hope it's not in the transducer because it is epoxyed to the inside of my
kayak's hull.

Pictures from when it worked:
http://members.cox.net/ted_e_boy/transducerbattery_mounting.htm

Thanks

Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)
August 11th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Check'd your cable connections from the transducer to see if they've become
disconnected ? Mine runs behind a panel of fiberglass before it comes up
into the dash and wouldn't you know that's exactly where the connection was,
and it did come loose, so I used plastic zip ties on it and no more
problems.

"SHREDİ" > wrote in message
> It doesn't display the depth (numerical box) and the chart does not show,
no
> scrolling, nothing.
> In the depth box the blinking lines just continue on as if it is warming
up.

> The water temp works.
>
> I know it's a long shot but maybe one of you had this problem with your
> Garmin 160 and could give me ideas if it is in the unit, cable, or
> transducer.
> I hope it's not in the transducer because it is epoxyed to the inside of
my
> kayak's hull.
>
> Pictures from when it worked:
> http://members.cox.net/ted_e_boy/transducerbattery_mounting.htm
>
> Thanks

SHREDİ
August 12th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Thanks Jerry.

I think I have a solution. I tested it with a new transducer and power
cable. The same symptoms showed up so that tells me it is in the head unit.

I found the receipt and it turns out I bought it last Sept. which is within
the 1 year warranty!!

So I will send it to Garmin when I receive an RMA# and they will fix it no
charge.

:)

Jerry Barton (NervisRek) wrote:
> Check'd your cable connections from the transducer to see if they've
> become disconnected ? Mine runs behind a panel of fiberglass before
> it comes up into the dash and wouldn't you know that's exactly where
> the connection was, and it did come loose, so I used plastic zip ties
> on it and no more problems.
>
> "SHREDİ" > wrote in message
>> It doesn't display the depth (numerical box) and the chart does not
>> show, no scrolling, nothing.
>> In the depth box the blinking lines just continue on as if it is
>> warming up.
>>
>> The water temp works.
>>
>> I know it's a long shot but maybe one of you had this problem with
>> your Garmin 160 and could give me ideas if it is in the unit, cable,
>> or transducer.
>> I hope it's not in the transducer because it is epoxyed to the
>> inside of my kayak's hull.
>>
>> Pictures from when it worked:
>> http://members.cox.net/ted_e_boy/transducerbattery_mounting.htm
>>
>> Thanks

SHREDİ
August 12th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Thanks Jerry.

I think I have a solution. I tested it with a new transducer and power
cable. The same symptoms showed up so that tells me it is in the head unit.

I found the receipt and it turns out I bought it last Sept. which is within
the 1 year warranty!!

So I will send it to Garmin when I receive an RMA# and they will fix it no
charge.

:)

Jerry Barton (NervisRek) wrote:
> Check'd your cable connections from the transducer to see if they've
> become disconnected ? Mine runs behind a panel of fiberglass before
> it comes up into the dash and wouldn't you know that's exactly where
> the connection was, and it did come loose, so I used plastic zip ties
> on it and no more problems.
>
> "SHREDİ" > wrote in message
>> It doesn't display the depth (numerical box) and the chart does not
>> show, no scrolling, nothing.
>> In the depth box the blinking lines just continue on as if it is
>> warming up.
>>
>> The water temp works.
>>
>> I know it's a long shot but maybe one of you had this problem with
>> your Garmin 160 and could give me ideas if it is in the unit, cable,
>> or transducer.
>> I hope it's not in the transducer because it is epoxyed to the
>> inside of my kayak's hull.
>>
>> Pictures from when it worked:
>> http://members.cox.net/ted_e_boy/transducerbattery_mounting.htm
>>
>> Thanks

Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)
August 12th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Sweet.

"SHREDİ" > wrote in message

> Thanks Jerry.
>
> I think I have a solution. I tested it with a new transducer and power
> cable. The same symptoms showed up so that tells me it is in the head
unit.

> I found the receipt and it turns out I bought it last Sept. which is
within
> the 1 year warranty!!
>
> So I will send it to Garmin when I receive an RMA# and they will fix it no
> charge.
>
> :)
>

> Jerry Barton (NervisRek) wrote:
> > Check'd your cable connections from the transducer to see if they've
> > become disconnected ? Mine runs behind a panel of fiberglass before
> > it comes up into the dash and wouldn't you know that's exactly where
> > the connection was, and it did come loose, so I used plastic zip ties
> > on it and no more problems.
> >
> > "SHREDİ" > wrote in message
> >> It doesn't display the depth (numerical box) and the chart does not
> >> show, no scrolling, nothing.
> >> In the depth box the blinking lines just continue on as if it is
> >> warming up.
> >>
> >> The water temp works.
> >>
> >> I know it's a long shot but maybe one of you had this problem with
> >> your Garmin 160 and could give me ideas if it is in the unit, cable,
> >> or transducer.
> >> I hope it's not in the transducer because it is epoxyed to the
> >> inside of my kayak's hull.
> >>
> >> Pictures from when it worked:
> >> http://members.cox.net/ted_e_boy/transducerbattery_mounting.htm
> >>
> >> Thanks