PDA

View Full Version : Which reel?

Mark Pruett
August 12th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Ok, I'm looking at getting a baitcasting reel in the near future for
both inshore sal****er and freshwater fishing. I've been looking
lately, and due to certain discounts(employee), I'm trying to choose
between the following reels:

Shimano Catala CTL300

Abu Garcia 6500C3

Line capacity is more than enough for me on either one, so I'm
wondering which one is better in you guys' opinion.

Thanks,

Mark

Sarge
August 12th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Go Shimano

Sarge

Sarge
August 12th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Go Shimano

Sarge

Sarge
August 12th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Go Shimano

Sarge

Brad Coovert
August 12th, 2004, 12:15 PM
I would choose the Catala. It is more geared for sal****er use than the Abu
reel you listed.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Brad Coovert
August 12th, 2004, 12:15 PM
I would choose the Catala. It is more geared for sal****er use than the Abu
reel you listed.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Brad Coovert
August 12th, 2004, 12:15 PM
I would choose the Catala. It is more geared for sal****er use than the Abu
reel you listed.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

AJH
August 12th, 2004, 12:47 PM
In most cases I would go with a Shimano reel but the Catala is not a
dollar reel and is not the reel a Curado is...
The Abu 6500C3 or C4 doesn't have a thumbar spool release, and it may be
too big for freshwater fishing.. The Abu 5600 series does have a thumbar
spool release and can be used for in shore sal****er as well as
freshwater. the Abu 5600 uses the same drag as the 6500/6600 series
IMO the Abu reel wold be a better choice than the Catala..

Get-R-Done

[...]

Nick Baehr
August 18th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Hi,

> Shimano Catala CTL300
>
> Abu Garcia 6500C3

I fish the ABU ..... but I am also waiting for it to fail. The level wind is
driven by plastic gears, which already start to shed scraps of PE.

I don't know about the Catalas, but the ABU was a "one-time only" thing.

BTW: a Friend of mine thinks the AVET MXJ6/4 casts better than the Catala
(no LW, however) maybe that's an alternative.

Nick

Nick Baehr
August 18th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Hi,

> Shimano Catala CTL300
>
> Abu Garcia 6500C3

I fish the ABU ..... but I am also waiting for it to fail. The level wind is
driven by plastic gears, which already start to shed scraps of PE.

I don't know about the Catalas, but the ABU was a "one-time only" thing.

BTW: a Friend of mine thinks the AVET MXJ6/4 casts better than the Catala
(no LW, however) maybe that's an alternative.

Nick

AJH
August 18th, 2004, 12:52 PM
The plastic idler gear has been used by Abu for many many years and is
not a major problem..It is pretty cheap and simple to replace..a little
powdered graphite on this gear helps, but keep it off the spool bearing.

Git-R-Done