FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fly Rods Across America 2008 (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=31511)

Zimbo May 16th, 2008 03:28 PM

Fly Rods Across America 2008

My friend Bill and I are going on a two-week fly fishing roadie this
summer. We're going to start in Utah and end up in North Carolina. The
"famous" streams we're going to fish include: the Green River in Utah,
the San Juan in New Mexico, the South Platte in Colorado, the White in
Arkansas, and the South Holston in Tennessee. We're planning to fish
some lesser known small streams along the way as well.

Since web development geekery is what I do, we're going to put up a
web site, do some podcasts, and document the logistics of our trip.
We're still in the planning stages, but you're welcome to read my
ongoing blog if you're interested:

http://flyrodsacrossamerica.blogspot.com

--Steve

sergeantsville frank[_3_] May 16th, 2008 04:21 PM

Fly Rods Across America 2008

Sounds Amazing.

--
sergeantsville frank

JT May 16th, 2008 05:43 PM

"Zimbo" wrote in message
My friend Bill and I are going on a two-week fly fishing roadie this
summer. We're going to start in Utah and end up in North Carolina. The
"famous" streams we're going to fish include: the Green River in Utah,
the San Juan in New Mexico, the South Platte in Colorado, the White in
Arkansas, and the South Holston in Tennessee. We're planning to fish
some lesser known small streams along the way as well.

Since web development geekery is what I do, we're going to put up a
web site, do some podcasts, and document the logistics of our trip.
We're still in the planning stages, but you're welcome to read my
ongoing blog if you're interested:

http://flyrodsacrossamerica.blogspot.com

--Steve

Great trip ahead Steve,

Based on your blog, it sounds like you will be fishing the Green on
weekdays, good idea. If you have been their that time of year on a weekend
it can be a mess...

Certainly not trying to discourage the Green, it's a great place with lots
of fish. It reminded me of an aquarium when I was there this last Feb. I
suppose it was about the same last summer too. I'll post a picture on abpf
of my cousin landing a fish while several others (fish) are watching near
by. ;)

Look forward to the updates, have a great time,
JT

Zimbo May 16th, 2008 07:50 PM

On May 16, 12:43*pm, "JT" wrote:

Certainly not trying to discourage the Green, it's a great place with lots
of fish. It reminded me of an aquarium when I was there this last Feb. I
suppose it was about the same last summer too. I'll post a picture on abpf
of my cousin landing a fish while several others (fish) are watching near
by. ;)

I've been there a few times before and you're right: there are certain
heavy traffic areas where the fish become accustomed to humans. One of
the things I like about the Green (as a counterpoint to that
disadvantage) is that it's a stream where big honking dry flies seem
to work very well--at least during the times of year when I've been
there. Some of the other famous tailwaters offer notoriously nymph-
only fare.

--Steve

Ray[_2_] May 16th, 2008 10:06 PM

Fly Rods Across America 2008

When you get to North Carolina keep on going to the coast and try red fish
in salt water.

jeff miller[_2_] May 21st, 2008 09:12 PM

Zimbo wrote:
My friend Bill and I are going on a two-week fly fishing roadie this
summer. We're going to start in Utah and end up in North Carolina. The
"famous" streams we're going to fish include: the Green River in Utah,
the San Juan in New Mexico, the South Platte in Colorado, the White in
Arkansas, and the South Holston in Tennessee. We're planning to fish
some lesser known small streams along the way as well.

Since web development geekery is what I do, we're going to put up a
web site, do some podcasts, and document the logistics of our trip.
We're still in the planning stages, but you're welcome to read my
ongoing blog if you're interested:

http://flyrodsacrossamerica.blogspot.com

--Steve

excellent! ...looking forward to your notes and photos of the summer
tryst. i just returned from my trip to the grandfather area...at the
end of your trip, you should add a visit to that little stream (name
omitted) that flows in that little town at the base of the mountain
where your former cabin is located. it's catch and release, fly only.
caught some very nice sized browns and rainbows on dries...

haven't heard from my friends about july yet...

jeff