FishingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Flatheads are running (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=22132)

Pepperoni May 6th, 2006 04:48 PM

Flatheads are running

I've been looking for the Flatheads to show up. I took my first of the
season this morning. About 32 inches long, healthy but a little thin from
the winter. Taken just before dawn (on my first cast), he took a meat bait.
(hot dog) Great fight in the dark, I knew it was a cat but couldn't prove
it until he was in the net. He was released above the dam so he won't
linger below to be caught again. Huron river between Ann Arbor and
Ypsilanti. We have channel cats, too. They run into the river at dusk and
return to the big lakes before dawn.

After dawn I was getting carp hits, so I switched to carp candy (frozen
corn) and took a 30 pounder just to keep my daily average running.

The bigguns are stacking up below the wall dams. Walleye are starting to
run, crappies are in the river. If anybody needs me..... too bad, gone
fishin'.

Pepperoni
gonna sit right down and order 1,000 leeches

Pup May 9th, 2006 07:11 PM

Flatheads are running

Pepperoni wrote:
[...]

Man, cats just don't seem to want to bite down river in Monroe County.
Steelies are supposed to be running good, but I'm too damn cheap to
upgrade my license for trout :)

Pup

Pepperoni May 10th, 2006 04:41 AM

Flatheads are running

"Pup" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pepperoni wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's designated trout water. I caught another flathead Monday
morning. About 32 inches. Ha, I thought I had the biggest cat in the river
when a 30#+ carp hit the meat bait and slugged it out deep. He took me for a
long walk up and down the bank for 15 minutes before I even saw him.

I fish below a wall dam (Penninsular paper) When the carp stack up to
spawn, the cats move in to feed. I have been getting out before dawn and
having a blast. Fishing should be good for about another month.

The boat launch at Rockwood is one of my favorites. Lots of great sites
downriver from Rockwood aren't trout water.

I have a new camera on the way, I'll get some fresh pictures soon. The old
camera takes a special battery; it was cheaper to buy a new Kodak that
takes AA batteries and has 6x the pixels of the old cam.

Last years pics are he
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/flatheads.htm