FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do the Twist--Bimini? (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=23726)

LDR September 20th, 2006 04:35 PM

Do the Twist--Bimini?

Two of my heroes, Lefty Kreh and Mark Sosin, whose book Practical
Fishing KNots, has been my primary reference despite many books since
like it, describes the Bimini Twist has the most important knot to know,
and yet I don't sense that it is widely used among fly fishers.

Of course I can't really see how others tie their lines, because my
eyesight is going south along with my other declining powers.

Kreh and Sosin suggest using it with an Albright knot for even light fly
fishing. They also have an interesting idea for a super simplified all-
purpose leader for everything but dry fly fishing--but that's another
subject. TIA

Stephen Welsh September 20th, 2006 10:24 PM

Do the Twist--Bimini?

LDR wrote:
Two of my heroes, Lefty Kreh and Mark Sosin, whose book Practical
Fishing KNots, has been my primary reference despite many books since
like it, describes the Bimini Twist has the most important knot to know,

If you want to fish for ( IGFA ?) records.
Makes a strong double that is easy to connect the class tippett to.

and yet I don't sense that it is widely used among fly fishers.

The only time I've seen these tied the guy used a chair for his
derriere (so he wouldn't fall over
), both hands and a foot (his :-) Draw your own conclusions as to
one reason it isn't used
much ;-)

Of course I can't really see how others tie their lines, because my
eyesight is going south along with my other declining powers.

;-)

Kreh and Sosin suggest using it with an Albright knot for even light fly
fishing.

Their reasoning ??
(besides filling a column)

Steve (not much into records or carrying chairs while fishing ;-)

[email protected] September 22nd, 2006 02:41 AM

Do the Twist--Bimini?

LDR wrote:
Two of my heroes, Lefty Kreh and Mark Sosin, whose book Practical
Fishing KNots, has been my primary reference despite many books since
like it, describes the Bimini Twist has the most important knot to know,
and yet I don't sense that it is widely used among fly fishers.

Of course I can't really see how others tie their lines, because my
eyesight is going south along with my other declining powers.

Kreh and Sosin suggest using it with an Albright knot for even light fly
fishing. They also have an interesting idea for a super simplified all-
purpose leader for everything but dry fly fishing--but that's another
subject. TIA

I'd answer that it's pretty much a sal****er rigging which isn't
necessary in the vast majority of freshwater fly fishing. These are
cool assed knots but the freshwater angler can get away with a
suprisingly small arsenal of knots. Arbor, Nail, Needle, Blood,
Surgeons, Clinch (reel, line to backing, line to butt, butt to leader,
leader to tippet, tippet to fly). It pays to learn to tie them quickly.
If you spend 10 minutes rigging with each lost fly, you'r losing a lot
of fishing.

TBone

Mr. Opus McDopus September 22nd, 2006 04:21 AM

Do the Twist--Bimini?

wrote in message
oups.com...

It pays to learn to tie them quickly.
If you spend 10 minutes rigging with each lost fly, you'r losing a lot
of fishing.

TBone

If your only catchin' 4 fish a day, how much time have ya really lost, Tim?

Op --subsistence fishin' must be a real pain in the ass?--

LDR September 22nd, 2006 04:56 AM

Do the Twist--Bimini?

In article .com,
says...

LDR wrote:
[...]

I agree, TBone; the Bimini seems out of place overkill in fresh water,
although it really doesn't take long to make, but then I'm kind of anal
about knots and leaders. I have so many books on knots, but Practical
Fishing Knots has been my gold standard and security blanket. I just
wondered if there was something obvious I was missing. Larry

[email protected] September 22nd, 2006 05:25 PM

Do the Twist--Bimini?

LDR wrote:
In article .com,
says...

LDR wrote:
[...]

I dunno, I wonder maybe for steel leaders for Pike? If you come accross
a practical use for the average guy, I'd sure like to hear about it!

Thanks LDR!

TBone
Guilt replaced the creel.

[email protected] September 22nd, 2006 05:26 PM

Do the Twist--Bimini?

Mr. Opus McDopus wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

It pays to learn to tie them quickly.
If you spend 10 minutes rigging with each lost fly, you'r losing a lot
of fishing.

TBone

If your only catchin' 4 fish a day, how much time have ya really lost, Tim?

Op --subsistence fishin' must be a real pain in the ass?--

Not that so much as the coals cool down if it takes too long....

TBone

[email protected] September 25th, 2006 02:57 AM

Do the Twist--Bimini?

thanks

regards
a href=http://unificationwars.0catch.com/free/a
a href=http://www.stormloader.com/users/unification/MMOG/a
a href=http://www.megspace.com/computers/wars/free games/a

ralsonngrace June 16th, 2011 06:15 PM

These are cool assed knots but the freshwater angler can get abroad with a suprisingly baby armory of knots. Arbor, Nail, Needle, Blood, Surgeons, Clinch (reel, band to backing, band to butt, base to leader, leader to tippet, capote to fly). It pays to apprentice to tie them quickly.