FishingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Can You Help me Identify This Fish (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=5833)

South Jersey Investor January 7th, 2004 10:56 PM

Can You Help me Identify This Fish

1 Attachment(s)

licker January 7th, 2004 11:50 PM

Can You Help me Identify This Fish

It is shaped like a speckle trout but the drawing doesn't show and spots.
It lookslike it may have front teeth like a trout.

Sarge

David H. Lipman January 8th, 2004 12:50 AM

Can You Help me Identify This Fish

Mackerel.
Most likely Pacific Mackerel
The last time I answered a question like this, no one ever confirmed or denied it.

Feed back is requested !

Dave
From the beaches of Monmouth County

"South Jersey Investor" wrote in message

licker January 8th, 2004 03:33 AM

Can You Help me Identify This Fish

1 Attachment(s)
I believe you may be right. I thought of speckle trout but I forgot to look
at the fork tail instead of a fan tail. It does resemble a mackeral shape.

Sarge

David H. Lipman January 8th, 2004 04:45 AM

Can You Help me Identify This Fish

Also look at the bony ridges from the dorsal fin to the tail fin.
Definitely NOT a trout but in the Mackerel family.
Of course it could also be a Tuna, but it's highly unlikely.

Dave

"licker" wrote in message ...
| I believe you may be right. I thought of speckle trout but I forgot to look
| at the fork tail instead of a fan tail. It does resemble a mackeral shape.
|

| Sarge

Dre January 8th, 2004 12:59 PM

Can You Help me Identify This Fish

It's definately a Mackerel. The same kind we fish here in New-Brunswick. If
the colors were bright his back would be green. Here's a link to a better
pictu

http://www.brightonmarina-seafishing.co.uk/Mackerel.JPG

They are usually about 8-12 inches.

Hope this helps!

Dre

"South Jersey Investor" wrote in message

Dre January 8th, 2004 01:04 PM

Can You Help me Identify This Fish

Here's another link with alot more information on Atlantic Mackerel:

http://www.atlanticherring.com/mackerel.htm

Dre

"Dre" wrote in message
It's definately a Mackerel. The same kind we fish here in New-Brunswick.

If
the colors were bright his back would be green. Here's a link to a better
pictu

http://www.brightonmarina-seafishing.co.uk/Mackerel.JPG

They are usually about 8-12 inches.

Hope this helps!

Dre

"South Jersey Investor" wrote in message

barbz January 8th, 2004 03:03 PM

Can You Help me Identify This Fish

South Jersey Investor wrote:

Looks like a Pacific Mackerel to me. Bleah, catfish bait!
barbz

Dre January 8th, 2004 05:57 PM

Can You Help me Identify This Fish

Could definately be a Pacific Mackerel also as it's identical to the
Atlantic Mackerel. The biggest difference between the two is the pacific
Mackerel has less fat.

Dre

"barbz" wrote in message ...
South Jersey Investor wrote:

Looks like a Pacific Mackerel to me. Bleah, catfish bait!
barbz

Colin Soden January 9th, 2004 09:50 AM

Can You Help me Identify This Fish

Down here we call it a horse mackerel