FishingBanter

-   Fishing Photos (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Weiss Lake Alabama Gator (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=31975)

Jack Schmitt July 27th, 2008 11:54 PM

Weiss Lake Alabama Gator

1 Attachment(s)
This is a 28 foot gator as reported by KTBS of Birmingham. I have fished
many a day in this lake but, I have never seen anything like this.

What me worry? July 28th, 2008 01:02 AM

Weiss Lake Alabama Gator

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 17:54:58 -0500, "Jack Schmitt"
wrote:

This is a 28 foot gator as reported by KTBS of Birmingham. I have fished
many a day in this lake but, I have never seen anything like this.

Sorry Jack, this one's not true.

Check here, http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/wcgator.asp

Even at 13' it's scary enough!

Dan

Opus--Mark H. Bowen July 29th, 2008 12:20 AM

Weiss Lake Alabama Gator

wrote:

This is a 28 foot gator as reported by KTBS of Birmingham. I have fished
many a day in this lake but, I have never seen anything like this.

Sorry Jack, this one's not true.

Check here, http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/wcgator.asp

Even at 13' it's scary enough!

Dan

That looks a lot like Wally Gator.

Ya know he was the swinginest Alligator in the swamp!

RIP Wally :~^ (

Op

Randyj August 23rd, 2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Schmitt (Post 202577)
This is a 28 foot gator as reported by KTBS of Birmingham. I have fished
many a day in this lake but, I have never seen anything like this.

hmmm.... I've lived around Birmingham, Alabama all of my life and have never heard of such a radio station. The call sign of all radio stations in Alabama that I know of start with a "W"....

Henry Hefner September 3rd, 2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Schmitt (Post 202577)
This is a 28 foot gator as reported by KTBS of Birmingham. I have fished
many a day in this lake but, I have never seen anything like this.

Maybe you never saw it there because this is a 13 foot gator that was shot in Texas in 2005. Story he
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/wcgator.asp

Charlie S. September 23rd, 2008 02:07 PM

Weiss Lake Alabama Gator

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 19:00:28 +0100, Henry Hefner
wrote:

Jack Schmitt;202577 Wrote:
This is a 28 foot gator as reported by KTBS of Birmingham. I have fished

many a day in this lake but, I have never seen anything like this.

Maybe you never saw it there because this is a 13 foot gator that was
shot in Texas in 2005. Story he
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/wcgator.asp

The Florida Museum of Natual History says this about gator size:

"Adults males typically reach 4 to 4.5 metres (approximately 13 to
14.7 feet), although there are several unconfirmed reports of larger 5
m (approx 16.4 feet) and even 6 m adults (19.8 feet is the largest
"reported", though there are doubts over its veracity) having been
found or killed in the 19th and 20th centuries. Such sizes seem
unlikely for this species. Females reach lengths of just under 3 m
(approx 9.8 feet)."

So any pic you see of a "monster" gator over 20 feet is pure fiction.