FishingBanter

-   Bass Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Re-Spooling A Spinning Reel Question (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=37641)

Bob[_4_] April 30th, 2011 07:32 PM

Re-Spooling A Spinning Reel Question

Hi,

Have to replace the line on my spinning reel.

I read several of the links on how to do this, and I guess they all say
to keep the curl coming off of the supply reel the same
direction (& curl) as it is being wound up on the fishing reel.

In other words, not to oppose the natural curl that the line has from
the supply reel.

Was wondering:

Wouldn't it, perhaps, be better if it were wound up so as to oppose the
natural curl that it has taken sitting on the supply reel.

Wouldn't that tend to straighten the line (over time)?

What's the prevalent wisdom on doing this ?

What's a really good link showing how (the ones I found didn't have all
that clear directions) ?

Thanks,
bob

Bob La Londe[_5_] April 30th, 2011 09:25 PM

On 4/30/2011 11:32 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace the line on my spinning reel.

I read several of the links on how to do this, and I guess they all say
to keep the curl coming off of the supply reel the same
direction (& curl) as it is being wound up on the fishing reel.

In other words, not to oppose the natural curl that the line has from
the supply reel.

Was wondering:

Wouldn't it, perhaps, be better if it were wound up so as to oppose the
natural curl that it has taken sitting on the supply reel.

Wouldn't that tend to straighten the line (over time)?

What's the prevalent wisdom on doing this ?

What's a really good link showing how (the ones I found didn't have all
that clear directions) ?

Thanks,
bob

What works the absolute best for me is to tie off one end of the line to
a ball bearing swivel and back out to the end of my driveway tugging
periodically on the line. Then reel it up snug as I walk back into the
tie point. The next item is use a larger diameter spinning reel than
you normally would. Yes, it takes more line to fill, but also seems to
take longer to twist up. I have always spooled up by putting the spool
on a pin and taking line off the top of the spool. Can't speak for any
other way.

The same way off as on has to do with blow off. If its straightened out
then it tends to jump off the spool. If its curled the opposite way as
its spooled on it tends to jump off the spool. If you spool up a few
days before you use it then it tends to take a set to the way its on the
reel, and its not as critical. If you spool up the night before it
still has the set of the bulk spool.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Tournament Director