FishingBanter

-   Bass Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Recommendations for tip-ups (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=13838)

Steve December 3rd, 2004 03:29 AM

Recommendations for tip-ups

I've always used the old fashioned stick style. Thinking about going with a
version that is round and lays flat covering the hole.

Advice on what and where to buy appreciated.

-Steve

Jim Laumann December 4th, 2004 03:17 AM

Recommendations for tip-ups

Steve

I don't happen to have any of the round ones - info I've got on those
is that when the plastic gets cold - they break - espec. if they
freeze in to the slush and you have to kick them out.

I have Arctic Fisherman (wood) and a HT Polar (plastic). Both have
stood up well. If you really want to cover the hole to try and prevent
it from freezing up, get a scrap of carpet and cut a slot in it for
your tip up's shaft and spool.

A tip up style I don't have, but want to get is a windlass style - but
unless you have an above freezing day, eventually they freeze up -
although the carpet trick would help alot.....

Jim