FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Aw, just for the hell of it... (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=37985)

Frank Church[_12_] September 4th, 2011 05:03 PM

Aw, just for the hell of it...

Just so there is at least one fishing TR on this near defunct bunch:
Hooked up with a bunch of nice guys from the east coast (imagine that!)
on a bass flyfishing forum (http://thebasspond.yuku.com/)and we all met
at the Penobscot Cabins fish camp just outside of Howland, ME. in mid-
june for 3 days. First day was so-so but no bragging size smallies, but
with lots of wind. The rain and thunderstorms began on day 2 and lasted
all frigging day. I managed to boat one 16 incher, we caught a few much
smaller ones and ldr'd at least as many. Was fishing with Dave Bottom,
you old timers will remember him as Brooktrout. The skeeters were
terrible in camp, no problem out on the river though. Camp operators
blamed a cool wet spring for the skeeters. $40 @ nite for a cabin and $35
@ day for 3 home cooked meals...and I mean home cooked. Man, that little
lady can lay on a table full of goodness to feast on. There were about 10
of us who signed up for the meals and we everyone must have gained at
least 5#. Dave and I decided to cut it short and not fish for the 3rd day
because radar and forecast indicated more to come on Sunday day 3. Still
and all it was a pleasant get together and the folks at the fish camp
treated us like family. When it came time to pay up I whipped out my
trusty Visa card and it turns out they only take checks or cash and I had
neither. No problem he sez, just mail us a check when you get home. Ok,
I'm not shilling for these people but here's their website:
http://www.penobscotrivercabins.com/ They bought the place 6 years ago
and are slowly getting it fixed up. Given the rustic conditions of the
cabins this would probably not make an Orvis approved fishing lodge. I
fully intend to return next year, it's worth the 2200 mile round trip.
Brooktrout tells me the Androscoggin is now down to normal levels after
Irene so I plan to do a float trip with him next weekend. I'm so close to
79 yrs old it ain't funny, don't have time to waste all that fine fishing
in Maine.

Frank Sr.

D. LaCourse September 4th, 2011 05:38 PM

Aw, just for the hell of it...

Great TR, Frank. Good to see you back. I'm not far behind you in age.
Next time you see Dave, tell him Hi for me. He and I fished the East
Outlet a few years ago. It was fun.

Dave

Tom Littleton September 5th, 2011 01:19 AM

Aw, just for the hell of it...

On 9/4/2011 12:03 PM, Frank Church wrote:

a fine fishing report. I hope that David is well, too. Enjoy the coming
trip, and report back if you can. It is great hearing from you!

Tom

Frank Church[_12_] September 6th, 2011 01:38 PM

Aw, just for the hell of it...

Tom Littleton wrote in news:j414l1$ld5$1@dont-
email.me:

On 9/4/2011 12:03 PM, Frank Church wrote:

a fine fishing report. I hope that David is well, too. Enjoy the coming
trip, and report back if you can. It is great hearing from you!

Tom

Thanks Tom, it's good to be back (I think) I had to cancel out on Dave
for this coming weekend, too many things that require my presence here
got in the way. Dave is one busy IT and will try to get free for the
following weekend..if this new hurricane aborning in the atlantic don't
screw things up for us. I'm hoping my route through Vermont and NH is
still intact and the roads are open, the flooding that occured has me a
bit concerned.

Frank Sr.

Tim J. September 9th, 2011 03:59 AM

Aw, just for the hell of it...

Frank Church typed:
Tom Littleton wrote in news:j414l1$ld5$1@dont-
email.me:

On 9/4/2011 12:03 PM, Frank Church wrote:

a fine fishing report. I hope that David is well, too. Enjoy the
coming trip, and report back if you can. It is great hearing from
you!

Tom

Thanks Tom, it's good to be back (I think) I had to cancel out on Dave
for this coming weekend, too many things that require my presence here
got in the way. Dave is one busy IT and will try to get free for the
following weekend..if this new hurricane aborning in the atlantic
don't screw things up for us. I'm hoping my route through Vermont and
NH is still intact and the roads are open, the flooding that occured
has me a bit concerned.

If the flooding forces you a little further south, I'll spring for lunch.
--
TL,
Tim

Frank Church[_12_] September 9th, 2011 01:32 PM

Aw, just for the hell of it...

"Tim J." wrote in
m:

If the flooding forces you a little further south, I'll spring for
lunch.

Thanks for the offer Tim, I'd love to have lunch with you (or a cold
beer bankside) These frigging tropical storms, would-be hurricanes and
flooding rivers have pretty much cancelled out our fishing in Maine for
this year. Just got an email from Brooktrout and the rivers are running
high and muddy up there again, part of my route through NY is closed due
to high water so that pretty much puts the lid on it for this year.
Looking at the satellite maps it would seem it's a long way from over
for this year's hurricane/ts season.

Frank Sr.
....wasn't it the Brooklyn Dodgers who used to say "just wait till next
year"? ...